follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AFRICA

User Tag List

Old 04-28-2014, 03:37 AM   #1
Moe

Drives: Lexus IS250, Toyota 86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Random feedback after a few months

Just some random feedback after about 4 months of ownership.

I love this car more and more each time I drive it. Normally, when a car starts "growing" on me, an element of boredom creeps in at the same time. With the 86, it feels better and better. However, it's still 4 months young and I've got a long way to go and I certainly intend keeping this car for the next few years.

A strange feeling is the driving position of this car. At first it does feel a bit odd. Once you get used to it, any other car you sit in feels too high. Almost that sit "on a seat", instead of "sit in a seat" feeling - a bit difficult to describe, but the point is that once you get used to the feeling of a 86, most other sports cars somehow don't feel sporty any more. Take power, bragging rights, TLGP's out of the equation, and I'm genuinely stumped if I were to think of an immediate replacement for this car that feels this way - the alternatives are either 3 times the price or 30 years old.

That initial lack of power has turned to an advantage. The car makes you work to make it move and that starts to reward in it's own self. I get the random thumbs up from many people in this car and lots of positive comments from total strangers on the looks. A fair percentage of people are genuinely surprised at the Toyota badge...

Random pic from a few days ago:

Random snapshop from fuelly. 10 fill up's so far.

This car also feels like a blank canvas when it comes to modding. I still need to finish off my sound install when I get some time. For this year, I only have cosmetic mods planned. Next year, I'll decide on performance mods once the car has some mileage under it's belt.

Last edited by Moe; 04-29-2014 at 03:24 AM.
Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Moe For This Useful Post:
Alang (04-28-2014), Fish Eagle (04-28-2014), Freedom (04-28-2014), FT_86_SM_GP (04-28-2014), Jacques Blom (04-28-2014), sav (04-29-2014), Vladror (04-29-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 01:53 PM   #2
Freedom

Drives: PEARL WHITE GT86 TRD
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
This was a good read, the only thing I found different was that the first time I sat in the car I remember thinking to myself that the seating position felt really good.
Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freedom For This Useful Post:
Moe (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 09:44 AM   #3
ShaunWRX

Drives: 2014 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Can only agree with everything you've just said. I also wont know what replace this car with should the time come. There's definitely nothing on the market at the moment
Moe (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 12:39 PM   #4
Fish Eagle
Platinum Member

Drives: Toyota 86 Vortech SC
Thanked 1,021 Times in 541 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
I really enjoyed reading your post because that's exactly how I feel.
Except for the driving position - I enjoyed mine a lot from day one, and still do.
I have my seat on it's lowest (I'm quite tall), and the backrest quite upright. Works for me...

Every time I've thought that I know all about my car, I discover a new dimension of fun, and another cycle of discovery and enjoyment happens.

Wish I had your fuel consumption stats though.
I think I must be a big hoon because mine don't look good at all...
The last fillup at 12.0 - well, some of my mates know where that happened last weekend... LOL
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2014, 03:00 AM   #5
sav
Official anti-BS squad

Drives: Toyota 86 High 6MT
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
I also agree, except for the seating position - loved it from day one.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:33 PM   #6
FT_86_SM_GP

Drives: Lawn moweR
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Eagle View Post
I really enjoyed reading your post because that's exactly how I feel.
Except for the driving position - I enjoyed mine a lot from day one, and still do.
I have my seat on it's lowest (I'm quite tall), and the backrest quite upright. Works for me...
So I didnt know that the seat height could be adjusted, for some reason im sure the dealer told me that the seat height could not be adjusted.
(Or the euphoria on delivery day could have gotten the better of me)

I have always been driving (For under 2 months now) with my seat as high as possible.

Today

I dropped the seat LOW...and Oh JoY...I felt like I was in a Go-Kart...(Not sure if this was a psychological effect of finding out something new)...but my feet could not leave the gas, gliding through traffic like I was in a scene of Fast n Furious)

Might have to bring the seat height up thou, because I could not see my blind spot properly.
(Dont have a supercharger, so when I am over taking other cars/ changing lanes...I have to use my blindspot)

You learn something new about your Hachiroku every day

Btw:

"Hachi-roku" - Japanese for "86"

For those of you who did Karate as a kid and your Sensei counted for you...

Itchi
Nee
San
Shi
Go
Roku(6)
Shichi
Hachi(8)
Kyu
ju

and then you went "KIA" as loud as possible

You were promoting the 86 and KIA Cerato, and you didnt even know it!
FT_86_SM_GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:48 AM   #7
BentAnat

Drives: 2013 86 STD SPW
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Having had mine for nearing 7000km by now, and driving it daily, here're my thoughts:

Fuel consumption on the long roads in Namibia is gorgeous. ESPECIALLY with our RETARDED speeding fines (going 150? that'll be 4 grand please), I stick to 120km/h and cruise to my folks at the coast every now and then. 6.5l/100km then. In town, more like 11-12l/100km

At sea level, this car is COMPLETELY different to Windhoek. More responsive, and, thanks to salt roads, much more fun. 1600m altitude will do that.

I LOVE the skinny rubber on my base spec ("lite") model. They absorb bumps well enough, and grip surprisingly well, provided you stay smooth. Not staying smooth is a sure way to unsettle it. Not 100% sure how the "lite" compares to the "high spec" in that regard, but I am happy with my choice of basic spec (which was based on me not wanting any of the extras in the high spec more than the 30K difference in price).

The gearbox's "stiff 2nd gear" loosened up nicely, the engine is much better running after a few 1000 km.

The ONLY criticism I have here is that I have a dent in the roof that needs fixing (jealousy make people nasty - that was a punch), and Toyota NAM SUCKS at getting the new roof panel in... been waiting well over 6 weeks by now.
BentAnat is offline   Reply With Quote