follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AFRICA

User Tag List

Old 09-12-2016, 06:44 AM   #1
Mandarb

Drives: Toyota 86 Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Importing Seat Covers

Hi

I damaged my drivers seat upholstery, sliding in and buttons snagging on the stitches. Result being that I have a hole where the stuffing is peeking out, and the more I use the seat the bigger the hole will get. Duct tape is preventing that for the moment, but it's ugly and the glue isn't friendly.

Thus, I'm looking for seat covers. The local generic stuff is ugly, and would rather buy something that will keep. Locally, I'm looking at at least R6k for custom covers at the people who make 4x4 covers, or importing from 86Worx, which works out at just about the same price at today's exhange rate.

Before I push that button though, I wanted to find out if you guys have any experience importing from there, and if there are any pitfalls? I've imported from the US before, and the import duties and VAT can almost double the price.
Are there any tricks that it is good to know about?
Mandarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:53 AM   #2
jarnojvv

Drives: 86|Fortuner|FJ|Mustang|SwiftSport
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandarb View Post
Hi

I damaged my drivers seat upholstery, sliding in and buttons snagging on the stitches. Result being that I have a hole where the stuffing is peeking out, and the more I use the seat the bigger the hole will get. Duct tape is preventing that for the moment, but it's ugly and the glue isn't friendly.

Thus, I'm looking for seat covers. The local generic stuff is ugly, and would rather buy something that will keep. Locally, I'm looking at at least R6k for custom covers at the people who make 4x4 covers, or importing from 86Worx, which works out at just about the same price at today's exhange rate.

Before I push that button though, I wanted to find out if you guys have any experience importing from there, and if there are any pitfalls? I've imported from the US before, and the import duties and VAT can almost double the price.
Are there any tricks that it is good to know about?

Mine is also taking quite a beating, to the point where I now move the seat back fully before getting in/out.

Maybe try an auto upholsterer and have it fixed properly, and then have them strengthen it in the weak area?
Old 09-12-2016, 07:26 AM   #3
Mandarb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarnojvv View Post
Mine is also taking quite a beating, to the point where I now move the seat back fully before getting in/out.

Maybe try an auto upholsterer and have it fixed properly, and then have them strengthen it in the weak area?
Too tall to do that, my seat is permanently in the fully back anyway, and that is a bit of a tight fit getting in and out

I'm going to have it repaired as well, but even so, would still like to get the covers.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:45 PM   #4
86 South Africa
POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drives: White Toyota 86 (Scion FRs)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Not being funny, but I've heard the Indian traders like the guys around oriental plaza in Jhb can sometimes do great work at better prices.
Old 09-14-2016, 03:58 AM   #5
Freedom

Drives: PEARL WHITE GT86 TRD
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Mine is also getting damaged. If you put in seat covers will it not affect the airbags?
Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:40 AM   #6
Mandarb

That's a good point. The 86Worx ones that I'm looking at is specifically airbag compatible.
Doing it locally would have to take that into account.