follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AFRICA

User Tag List

Old 10-11-2012, 04:03 AM   #1
brian_c_m

Drives: Toyota 86 - Silver High Spec
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
DIY or Take it to a dealer

So here's my little dilemma that's just recently popped up.

Driving into work yesterday, I pulled off from a traffic light and heard this odd metallic rolling sound. Like a screw rolling on sheet metal. The sound was coming from under my left arm and I thought it was something in the console or cupholders that made the noise. So at the next light I stopped and threw everything out to see if the noise went away. Sure enough, when I pulled off the noise was gone but only until I reached the next turn when I heard it again. A metallic rolling noise that seems to be coming from underneath the cupholder. It comes and goes but now and then while braking, turning or pulling off, I hear the sound of something loose rolling about and it's frustrating the heck out of me.

My guess is that a clip/screw/tac of sorts has come loose in my car and is rolling around on the chassis section that covers the drive shaft. but underneath the cupholder panel where I can't get to.

I'm tempted to have a look myself over the weekend but I'm worried that while trying to remove the paneling I break a clip or something and then I'm stuck with a rattle for the rest of the cars life. At the same time, my experience with dealers has always been that they fix one thing and break another

So what would you all do? Attempt to DIY the problem or do you have a reliable dealership you can recommend in the JHB area to fix the problem for me without fucking something else up. -Excuse the french but my last car was screwed royally by the dealer mechanics.

Thanks guys
brian_c_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:43 AM   #2
sieglapj

Drives: Toyota 86 Red
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Go and look under DIY. They have how to's. One of them gives a detailed description of how to strip the centre console. U may want to risk it yourself. Remember the car is just as new tour Toyota guys. So rather u may break 1 clip than them botching up the whole job.
sieglapj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:06 AM   #3
sav
Official anti-BS squad

Drives: Toyota 86 High 6MT
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
I had the same thing in a previous car I've owned but it was inside the dash and only when cornering. It very nearly drove me crazy! It sounded like a marble rolling from the one side of the dash to the other.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:08 AM   #4
Vladror

Drives: Toyota 86 M High - Dark Grey
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav View Post
I had the same thing in a previous car I've owned but it was inside the dash and only when cornering. It very nearly drove me crazy! It sounded like a marble rolling from the one side of the dash to the other.
i had the exact same thing last week in my 86, luckily it was just a plastic plug that suddenly appeared in the glove compartment and rolled around every corner. I still have no idea where it came from and luckily it didn't take me too long to locate the sound b/c it is indeed the most maddening thing to have in your car.

Last edited by Vladror; 10-11-2012 at 08:28 AM. Reason: i --> it
Vladror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:22 AM   #5
brian_c_m

Thanks Guys. Will have a look on the DYI for stripping the driveshaft covers. Let you know how it goes. And Yes.... Maddening as all hell!
Old 10-11-2012, 08:25 AM   #6
sav
Official anti-BS squad

Drives: Toyota 86 High 6MT
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladror View Post
iI still have no idea where i came from.
As long as you know where you're going to but then also I've found myself driving the 86 with no destination in mind, just because I can.
The Following User Says Thank You to sav For This Useful Post:
brian_c_m (10-11-2012)
Old 10-11-2012, 08:29 AM   #7
Vladror

Drives: Toyota 86 M High - Dark Grey
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
As long as you know where you're going to but then also I've found myself driving the 86 with no destination in mind, just because I can.
i fixed the post
Vladror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:32 AM   #8
brian_c_m

Quote:
Hahaha... Sav, you make me laugh. thanks for that