follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

View Poll Results: Which jab have you had?
Pfizer 53 51.96%
Moderna 27 26.47%
Johnson & Johnson 6 5.88%
AstraZeneca 4 3.92%
Novavax 0 0%
Sputnik 1 0.98%
Convidecia 0 0%
Homebrew with a big dose of something special 11 10.78%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 01:00 PM   #841
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Welcome back Tcoat.

I was concerned that you might have gotten sick that's why I was asking about you.

I suppose your moustache is a natural filter lol.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
Old 02-05-2021, 01:11 PM   #842
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
Welcome back Tcoat.

I was concerned that you might have gotten sick that's why I was asking about you.

I suppose your moustache is a natural filter lol.
I went away from here because I got sick of reading complete and total bullshit from some people. Looks like it hasn't improved one little bit.

I have not got sick. In fact none of the 500 people I am responsible for keeping well at work have got sick. Why? Because I make sure that all the recommended protocols are followed at all times. Am I popular for making them wear masks, stay apart and ended their Friday pizza parties? No not at all but none have got sick.
bcj (02-05-2021), Dadhawk (02-05-2021), Irace86.2.0 (02-05-2021), MICHAEL450f (02-05-2021), soundman98 (02-05-2021), spike021 (02-05-2021), Spuds (02-05-2021), Ultramaroon (02-05-2021), wbradley (02-05-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 01:22 PM   #843
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,183 Times in 3,472 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
I don't ask or argue. I'm just a retired accountant, I have no idea who is right and who is wrong. I don't think anyone really does. I've been following CDC guidelines because it is all we got. Maybe time will tell what is right and wrong.

I think the most accurate conversation I have had with anyone about covid was when I was talking to my GP. I asked him the same questions that some here think they know the answer, one way or the other. All he kept saying is "we really don't know".
I've learned today that there is such a thing as a "retired accountant".. oops wrong thread..
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JD001 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (02-05-2021), MICHAEL450f (02-05-2021), NoHaveMSG (02-05-2021), soundman98 (02-05-2021), spike021 (02-05-2021), Spuds (02-05-2021), Ultramaroon (02-05-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 01:32 PM   #844
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yea, two of our neighbors are retired nurses, and husband of one is a medical lab certifier.

them plus two micro-biologists I worked with for 27 years all say the distancing and masks are silly and do nothing to prevent the spread of this virus.

Also interesting, the 2 micro biologist swear this virus has every sign of being man made. These are some of the smartest people I have ever met.

Interesting.
Your microbiologists are unequivocally wrong about distancing and masks. It most definitely prevents the rate of spread of this virus and other viruses, and it can prevent the absolute spread of this virus.

They say the virus has every sign of being man made, but that is interesting because everyone who has actually studied the proteins and genetic sequence of this virus say the evidence suggests this evolved naturally. Why? Because it shows mutation patterns consistent with evolutionary trends, and because its proteins and genome haven't been optimized. For instance, if it was engineered perhaps there is a sport where a charged end would have been stronger or more effective, but instead of using those amino acid base pairs, the virus is composed of one negative amino acid and only one polar amino acid instead of a positive amino acid. In another case, maybe the genetic sequence has insertions of novel inactive sections, where that just wouldn't be done in a manmade environment.

Have your microbiologist friends studied this virus' genetic sequence or protein structure? What makes them think it is manmade? I don't really find these third hand appeals to authority very valuable: 'my friend of a friend of a friend with a lot of experience says it is man made'. Ok, so?

Quote:
I don't ask or argue. I'm just a retired accountant, I have no idea who is right and who is wrong. I don't think anyone really does. I've been following CDC guidelines because it is all we got. Maybe time will tell what is right and wrong.

I think the most accurate conversation I have had with anyone about covid was when I was talking to my GP. I asked him the same questions that some here think they know the answer, one way or the other. All he kept saying is "we really don't know".
When it comes to masks, we know. It is false to say that because there are people who have opposing views on a subject that it inherently implies that we don't know or that one side isn't correct or more correct. This tends to be a tactic of a side that can't demonstrate their point well, so they shift their argument from one of trying to show their side is correct to saying that because there exists a debate, we must not know, so their conclusion becomes, since we don't know then do whatever you want. Wrong. This is a classic logic fallacy and propaganda strategy, so don't get sucked into it. For instance, young, earth creationists have been using this tactic for years to try to get creationism taught in schools alongside classic biology.

Ultrmaroon said this:

Quote:
[Surgical and homemade] masks are not really good at preventing inhalation/ingestion of aerosolized "stuff." We can catch it through our eyes.
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...&postcount=818

These statements are true, but it doesn't really apply to this virus because this virus is not effectively transmitted via aerosolized particles; this virus is mainly spread via respiratory droplets. An aerosolized virus like the measles is much more virulent. Have someone with the measles cough then leave the room, wait thirty minutes then have a group of 100 people who have never been vaccinated, and 98% of the people will get the measles within two to four hours of the coughing event. That is something that is aerosolized and virulent.

COVID is primarily passed via the much larger respiratory droplets like the flu. It is much more virulent than the seasonal flu, which is why it is spreading, while the basic level of mask use and isolation protection is almost eliminating the seasonal flu. We have only had a few cases of the flu so far in our ER. We are testing every single admit for COVID, RSV, Flu A and Flu B and a few non-admits. In years prior, we normally only test septic patients and respiratory patients/admits for the flu, so we are doing way more screening for the flu compared to any year in the past. We are either experiencing a very mild flu season in terms of the virulent nature of the flu viruses that are circulating, or the masks and other social protections are having a significant effect on the flu.

Can someone get COVID via aerosolized mechanisms? Yes. Can someone get it via respiratory droplets to their eyes? Yes. My coworker got blood in his eyes from a HIV positive patient. He could have gotten HIV, but he didn't. If two people have a bleeding paper cut on their finger and touch fingers and one has hepatitis or HIV then could they transfer those viruses? Yes. Is it likely? No. Could someone sneeze on a surface and someone touch that surface, pick their nose and then get the virus? Yes. Is it likely? More likely than through the mucous membrane of the eye, but not even close to as likely as breathing in the droplets from the air. Do you get where I am going with this? To say we know nothing is false. We know this is a droplet virus. We know the primary routes for transmission. We know the special cases like during a nebulized/aerosolized treatment where the risks of aerosolized transfer goes up.

As far as whether it was engineered or not, it seems highly unlikely. We we know is that it has all the hallmarks of coming from nature. As mentioned, as a biological weapon or political weapon, it isn't really that great because the highest mortality is 65+, and because it is fairly easily managed with proper risk avoidance and screening protocols, which many countries have demonstrated.
humfrz (02-05-2021), Subsonic (02-05-2021), Ultramaroon (02-05-2021), wbradley (02-05-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 01:45 PM   #845
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,936 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I'm guessing the folks that don't seem to understand that the mask is to protect others, not the wearer, would be perfectly OK then if a surgeon performed open heart surgery on them without a mask. I mean, what good could it possibly do?

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (02-05-2021), NWFRS (02-05-2021), soundman98 (02-05-2021), spike021 (02-05-2021), Spuds (02-05-2021), Ultramaroon (02-05-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 01:53 PM   #846
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
These statements are true, but it doesn't really apply to this virus because this virus is not effectively transmitted via aerosolized particles; this virus is mainly spread via respiratory droplets. An aerosolized virus like the measles is much more virulent. Have someone with the measles cough then leave the room, wait thirty minutes then have a group of 100 people who have never been vaccinated, and 98% of the people will get the measles within two to four hours of the coughing event. That is something that is aerosolized and virulent.

COVID is primarily passed via the much larger respiratory droplets like the flu. It is much more virulent than the seasonal flu, which is why it is spreading, while the basic level of mask use and isolation protection is almost eliminating the seasonal flu. We have only had a few cases of the flu so far in our ER. We are testing every single admit for COVID, RSV, Flu A and Flu B and a few non-admits. In years prior, we normally only test septic patients and respiratory patients/admits for the flu, so we are doing way more screening for the flu compared to any year in the past. We are either experiencing a very mild flu season in terms of the virulent nature of the flu viruses that are circulating, or the masks and other social protections are having a significant effect on the flu.
Understood! I'll run with that. Thanks.
Old 02-05-2021, 01:55 PM   #847
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
Anybody in here ride a motorcycle? I figured I would start a new thread on how selfish and ignorant they are. I just lost a friend in a motorcycle accident last night(elderly driver in car tuned into his path....and that's a whole other subject on how the elderly are unsafe for everybody around them on the roads) so I thought I would make sure to let other riders know by putting their lives in such obvious danger, they deserve all the ridicule and talking down on they can get. Had he been thinking about his surviving son, fiancé, and the rest of his family/friends maybe he would have stayed off 2 wheels. I mean it's their choice(which is clearly wrong by any thinking person) but we all should let them know the majority of us really don't think they should be out there sharing the road with us and think about their family and friends who would have to deal with the loss of their lives when they inevitably die. It's all avoidable by just some common sense.

This concept really applies to a great majority of us on here in fact and goes beyond even the selfish motorcycle riders. We are after all trying to increase the speeds of our cars by any means including force inducing air into them when they weren't designed that way and we all know speed kills. How our government even allows us to bypass well thought out safety standards that take highly trained engineers years to figure out on how to balance the top speed/acceleration out these 1.5 ton chunks of metal for safety of the driver/passengers and everybody around that vehicle is beyond me. Totally sickens me to think how unsafe these cars become when people try to get every ounce of speed out of them until they become such a danger to others sharing the road with them. Psychos with the goal to make the most power possible until it almost blows up the engine and then back it off a little is just asinine. Government mandated autonomous vehicles can't come soon enough.
This is what we call a false equivalence.

As a motorcyclist, I hear about the dangers of being on a motorcycle all the time from coworkers and family members, so why should maskless people be immune from critique, especially when their behavior is much, much more likely to affect others?

Also, the rate of car fatalities is 13 out of 100,000, and it is 72 out of 100,000 for motorcycles, and both those numbers don't account for your own behavior, such that, people who drive safe, don't drink, wear their seatbelt, etc are far less likely to die, and so it goes with motorcycling, where if you are a reasonable rider like you pass safely and ride at reasonable speeds and within your abilities, then that number also drops. Meanwhile, the mortality rate for COVID is under 1 out of 500 for 65+, and we have seen areas of the country at different times having healthcare systems that are overwhelmed, which can't be said for the cases of motorcyclists.

The vast majority of car fatalities have nothing to do with the cars being modified or their power-to-weight and have everything to do with driver errors, distracted driving, reckless driving, driving while under the influence, falling asleep at the wheel, having a stroke, heart attack, seizure or other medical emergency behind the wheel, and environmental conditions like ice on the road, but you are absolutely correct that autonomous vehicles are coming and will prevent a lot of accidents.
Dadhawk (02-05-2021), soundman98 (02-05-2021), Ultramaroon (02-05-2021), wbradley (02-05-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 01:57 PM   #848
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I'm guessing the folks that don't seem to understand that the mask is to protect others, not the wearer, would be perfectly OK then if a surgeon performed open heart surgery on them without a mask. I mean, what good could it possibly do?
It is both, but I get your point.
Dadhawk (02-05-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 01:57 PM   #849
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Morons with conspiracy theories and twisted science can go fuck themselves.
I've missed you.
Old 02-05-2021, 02:02 PM   #850
JD001

Hey, a question that has been burning in my head.. I've been watching CNN and other American news channels and I note that the commentators and guests just don't stop for breath!! Just get this constant verbal wave of sound with no stops or pauses.. Do they get paid by the number of words they can get into one minute?

Last edited by JD001; 02-05-2021 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-05-2021, 02:02 PM   #851
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD001 View Post
Yeah... he's back!! He's passed my test.. But.. I did set the bar low...
JD001 (02-05-2021), NoHaveMSG (02-05-2021), soundman98 (02-05-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 02:05 PM   #852
JD001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
More like this..

https://images.app.goo.gl/EqxX3P3KXmMvzDpv7
The Following User Says Thank You to JD001 For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (02-05-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 02:07 PM   #853
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Hey, a question that has been burning in my head.. I've been watching CNN and other American news channels and I note that the commentators and guests just don't stop for breath!! Just get this constant verbal wave of sound with no stops or pauses.. Do they get paid my the number of words they can get into one minute?
Try muting and reading their lips.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
Old 02-05-2021, 02:08 PM   #854
Tcoat

Quote:
It is all in the prep.

Tags
eagle5 got sandy vag, tread harder daddy, tylerlieberman is a cuck