follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 04-06-2015, 04:21 PM   #1
rhino

Drives: 2014 FRS Monogram
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ECU Tune with Tactrix using OTS Map for Perrin BigMAF 3"

I got myself a 2014 FRS and after enldess hours of reading forums and posts (all at least a year old) with no clear idea how to actually flash my ECU and update my MAF Scaling MAP, I just went with it and flashed it with the OFT 2 - stage1 93octane tune map ... the result? A better performing car, more power, smoother RPM.. haven't seen the MPG increase yet as others mentioned..

Thanks to OpenFlash Tablet (a much less painfull process of flashing your ECU) Check Here, for the OTS Maps, downloadable from Here

I've used the OTS 2.063 Maps

Ive installed my Perrin BigMAF 3" and got myself ready to flash the ECU..

what you need.. (and what i've used)
1. A laptop to connect to Tactrix
--i've used a Thinkpad t61 that i had laying around with Windows 7 Professional, no hassle with drivers or installing software

2. Tactrix Openport 2.0 adapter Link to Tactrix

3. EcuFlash 1.44 Link to Ecu Flash
-- This is to read and write to your ECU, and is also and editor

4. RomRaider 0.5.8 Release Candidate 1 Link to Download
-- Editor for your ECU file(s), and logger (log parser)

5. The newest Defintion File (32BITBASE.xml) from GitHub Link to 32BITBASE.xml
Copy the contents of this file on GitHub to C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenECU\EcuFlash\rommetadata\subaru\Bases\32 BITBASE.xml

6. The newest definition file for your ECU .. not sure which one you need? just download from here all files that match the country of your car, for US the file will end with a C
for more info check @steve99 post Here
add the downloaded files to the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenECU\EcuFlash\rommetadata\subaru\BRZ\YOUR PRODUCTION YEAR
MANUAL: A = "Other" (Japan, High FD), C = US / Canada, E = Korea, G = Europe / Australia / South Africa (High FD), H = Europe / Australia / South Africa (Low FD) , J = Middle East, N = China, P = "Other" (Japan, Low FD)
AUTOMATIC: B = "Other" (Japan), D = USA / Canada, F = Korea, I = Europe / Australia / South Africa, K = Middle East, O = China

you can skip steps 7-10 if you are just modifing the MAF Scaling table for the Intake.

7. OTS Maps from OpenFlash Tablet - OTS Maps, downloadable from Here

8. Extract the OTS Maps to C:\ECU\

9. Open RomRaider and go to ECU Definitions -> ECU Definitions Manager

9a. Click Add.. and select the Definitions (usualy called OFT_ZA****.xml or RR_ZA****.xml) from C:\ECU\**** , make sure the XMLs match your country code of the ROM (mentioned in step 6)

9b. Open the Tune, go to File -> Open Image -> Select a tune from the C:\ECU\BINs\YOUR_ROM\YOUR_STAGE\Stg*****.bin
**RomRaider may give you an Error regarding the Checksum No., dont worry just hit OK

9c. Modifiy the tune how you see fit... MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING, DOING THIS WITH OUT ANY KNOWLEDGE CAN HAVE ADVERSE EFFECTS!!!

9d. Save your edited ROM/BIN/Tune, go to File -> Save **YOUR BIN** As.. -> save to C:\ECU\new_tune\YOUR_FILE_NAME.bin
**RomRaider may ask you to calculate the Checksum, click yes.

10. Open EcuFlash, go to File-> Open ROM -> Select the file you have saved in C:\ECU\new_tune\*****.bin
this to make sure you have the right definitions in EcuFlash and no checksum errors for the file that you are going to flash to your ECU.

11. Hopefully you've completed steps 3-6 and installed the necessary software and updated the definitions files, now connect the Tactrix to your computer via the usb cable so the drivers are installed. Once you verified that drivers installed and you have enough battery juice, you are ready to connect to your car.

12. Plug the Tactrix into the OBDII connector, and into your laptop, start EcuFlash

13. Turn on the ignition and wait at least 15 seconds

14. In EcuFlash, go to ECU->Read(OEM). This will read your ECU and download it to the laptop.

15. After EcuFlash is done reading, save the file.

16. Now Save the File AS a different Name, which you can safely modify without modifing the original.

If NOT Using a Custom or Modified ROM
17. Modify the currently open file (dont worry its not the original ROM), for my Perrin BigMAF 3" I've used the MAF Calibration Table provided on perrin's site Perrin BigMAF 3"

If using Modified ROM or Tune
17. in EcuFlash go to File -> Open ROM, select the ROM file (ECU tune) that you would like to write to the ECU.
--Make sure the ROM file is the correct file that you would like to write to the ECU, if EcuFlash prompted to correct Checksum, then hit OK

Ready to Write to ECU?
18. Make sure the Tactrix is plugged into the OBDII port, usb cable is plugged in to the laptop, and you have a steady connection... no loose wires or broken usb ports..

19. in EcuFlash, with the ROM open and highlighted in top left pane, go to ECU -> Write(OEM)
This Erases your current ROM and then writes the File that you have selected in EcuFlash.. make sure your laptop has enough battery and sleep mode is not active. From what ive read, is that if you mess this step up, say good bye to your ECU and hello to the unbricking tutorials..

I was fortunate that the last step was smooth

*** Taking this approach is not safe nor there is any support for it, except from the community, If you are unsure or feel uneasy of the idea of bricking your ECU, go out and buy an OpenFlash Tablet ***

*** This information is for educational purposes only and i take no responsobility if you fry your ecu or cuase any other damage to your car ***

Last edited by rhino; 04-06-2015 at 05:07 PM.
rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rhino For This Useful Post:
ricky rod (04-06-2015), tracerit (10-14-2015)
Old 10-01-2015, 02:51 AM   #2
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
OP dude your actually quite lucky that your car is a later model 2014 with B01C/D a D00C/D rom car as not all OFT roms are directly compatable with Ecuflash definitions due to internal modifications to the Calibration ID of some OFT roms

guys on earlier model cars can get caught out badly as the OFT filename does not always match the internal calibration ID of the ROM. Example a A01C rom is actually a B01C in OFT V2xx tunes and in OFT V1.5X its actually a A01C as per filename

If you tried this with a A01C OFT V2xx rom and A01C ecuflash definition you would have bricked your ECU as Ecuflash would have thought it was a A01C rom when infact internal structure was B01C. Romraider get tricked as well

I would strongly suggest persons embarking on this route either know exactly what they are doing or buy an OFT its cheaper than a new ECU

If your just modifying a stock rom you pull from the car their are no issues.

suggest you read the romraider tips link below and the whole Tactrix Ecuflash link below including the warnings.

The perrin 3" maf scaling supplied by perrin is a good starting point but rearly need proper scaling, bit more reading of the MAF Scalling link below and use the VGI utility :-)
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Wayno (10-01-2015)
Old 11-28-2017, 04:35 PM   #3
speedybrz

Drives: 2015 BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hey @steve99, quick question (which is very relevant to this discussion):

Is there a way using the Tactrix Openport adapter to check the Calibration ID of my ECU ( B01C, D00C, etc.)?

Thanks in advance,
Eddie

Last edited by speedybrz; 11-28-2017 at 04:36 PM. Reason: grammar
speedybrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:12 AM   #4
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedybrz View Post
Hey @steve99, quick question (which is very relevant to this discussion):

Is there a way using the Tactrix Openport adapter to check the Calibration ID of my ECU ( B01C, D00C, etc.)?

Thanks in advance,
Eddie
Yea use tactrix to read ecu, the first few lines in ghe log scfeen will show the calibration id string.

However as som oft maps are calod hacked ists also vest to save the rom you just read out.

Then open it with a hex editor or run the calid tool thats at the enf of mey tactrix tgread limked below in coulur.

With rhe hex editor search for the strinv ZA1J as alll calid sart with that. Theor should be three calod strings in eom and they all shohld be the same.

Ecuflash only looks at the first one at 8000 hex, but theors also two more at 10000 hex and arround 11000 hex. The last one usually indicates the true calid of an oft hacked rom. The first two may be altered.

Eg a oft A01C rom will actually ve a B01C rom hacked to look like ans A01C.

Ie first two calid will be A01C and tgrid will be B01C.

This hacking can confuse ecuflash and romraider seecthe romraiderctips link below as well
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:39 AM   #5
speedybrz

Drives: 2015 BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks very much!
speedybrz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ecuflash, perrin intake, romraider, tactrix, tune