follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-14-2017, 05:03 PM   #1
tzhu07

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Has anyone here used a pay-per-mile insurance policy?

Example:
https://www.metromile.com/

I'm a very light driver nowadays, so I got a quote from them, and it seems like a really good deal.

Wondering if anyone here has first-hand experience, especially in regards to the Metromile Pulse OBD-II device, and if that has caused any issues in your experience.

Thanks.
tzhu07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:10 PM   #2
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
http://www.highya.com/metromile-reviews

Sounds like they start low and continue to raise until you write a bad review and drop them.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 10:10 PM   #3
tzhu07

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
http://www.highya.com/metromile-reviews

Sounds like they start low and continue to raise until you write a bad review and drop them.
Yeah, I actually came across that page as well.

As we all know, the thing about user reviews is that the dissatisfied customers will always be disproportionately more vocal. If you Google search "[insurance company] reviews", many results link to reviews that are mediocre to poor. Doesn't matter what company.

It's just really hard to sort out the real persistent issues from the rare one-off or customer-specific issues.
tzhu07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 10:22 PM   #4
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Yeah you're right about the bad reviews. I just changed insurance companies and it was less to have a whole other new car added on top of the other two
than the prior insurance was was just for the two older vehicles. The best thing to do is shop right before the renewal is up and see what's what. I like the idea
of the low mileage insurance since I only put about 3-4k on mine each year. It's not available in my state or else I would see if it would work out the next renewal.
If you use it, worst case is it doesn't work out and you just change companies. The good thing is you can change insurance like underwear.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote