follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 03-20-2020, 02:13 PM   #5363
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,179 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacjac3 View Post
Thanks for the info. I already have a JR oil cooler installed. I'm worried about the coolant temps. I've heard they can rise to 240F+. How high are your water temps on track?
There's something else going on if coolant temps get that high.

Check out your local track population for evidence; you have a great resource in 86CUP.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
jacjac3 (03-20-2020)
Old 03-20-2020, 04:48 PM   #5364
mistople

Drives: 2017 BRZ (Sold), 2023 GR86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Well everyone, it was (mostly) fun while it lasted. Back to NA + A350. I'll be putting up a lightly used JRSC C30 kit shortly if there's any interest.

mistople is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mistople For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (03-22-2020), HaXx (03-22-2020)
Old 03-21-2020, 02:34 PM   #5365
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistople View Post
Well everyone, it was (mostly) fun while it lasted. Back to NA + A350. I'll be putting up a lightly used JRSC C30 kit shortly if there's any interest.
It is your decision and good luck to you. But I can never imagine my car without JRSC. I would keep JRSC and use the factory tune, throw everything else away.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrg666 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (03-22-2020)
Old 03-21-2020, 07:22 PM   #5366
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Garage
Has anybody replaced the mass air flow extension cable? Are there any recommendations?

Edit: Found here

https://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/pr...d/3307%7B2%7D5

Last edited by mrg666; 03-21-2020 at 08:13 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrg666 For This Useful Post:
sroby (03-22-2020)
Old 03-22-2020, 11:48 AM   #5367
steved

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
It is your decision and good luck to you. But I can never imagine my car without JRSC. I would keep JRSC and use the factory tune, throw everything else away.
Depends on how many overheating issues you're having, and how successful you've been at overcoming them I'd say.

Like mistople my car is primarily for the track and as a track car if you can only get in a few hot laps before you hit north of 260F oil temps the entire purpose of the JRSC is moot.

I'm about a half step behind mistople, except I won't be keeping the car if it happens - the tracks I frequent are too large to be running a car with 200 hp so I'll be getting rid of it.
steved is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steved For This Useful Post:
mistople (03-22-2020)
Old 03-22-2020, 03:45 PM   #5368
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved View Post
Depends on how many overheating issues you're having, and how successful you've been at overcoming them I'd say.

Like mistople my car is primarily for the track and as a track car if you can only get in a few hot laps before you hit north of 260F oil temps the entire purpose of the JRSC is moot.

I'm about a half step behind mistople, except I won't be keeping the car if it happens - the tracks I frequent are too large to be running a car with 200 hp so I'll be getting rid of it.
Heat problems with even unmodified cars are also known on track like Corvette and Camaro. Check Speed Academy videos, they had very similar heat issues you have mentioned with their JRSC FRS. They found that the location of the heat sensor was not ideal for reading the temperature under racing conditions. They resolved the heat problem and ran a complete series of races and won in the end. You could also contact JR technical support to ask about their race cars. Good luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrg666 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (03-22-2020), new2subaru (03-22-2020)
Old 03-23-2020, 02:05 AM   #5369
steved

Quote:
Heat problems with even unmodified cars are also known on track like Corvette and Camaro. Check Speed Academy videos, they had very similar heat issues you have mentioned with their JRSC FRS. They found that the location of the heat sensor was not ideal for reading the temperature under racing conditions. They resolved the heat problem and ran a complete series of races and won in the end. You could also contact JR technical support to ask about their race cars. Good luck!
This isn't really directed at you personally but I've found a lot of these comments are a bit bs and are traded around pretty freely as fact:
-The speed academy guys were sponsored by JR, which ties their hands in making honest assessments (I enjoy their content, but they're a business)
- If I remember correctly their temp reading was inaccurate because they placed their sensor in a non optimal place, I'm picking up from obd2 and oil filter sandwich plate
- the speed academy guys run time attack-like sessions on a small track, sub 1:30 ( I used to live in Ontario and ran TMP many times) which doesn't correlate to temps on big momentum tracks or long sessions (20-30 min).
- the JR products are titled in a very misleading way which makes it easy to misunderstood their intended usage. ie: Track oil cooler, JRSC = insufficient cooling for most non-race track duty.

I was also going to add comments about some vendors who post in this thread for inaccurate and misleading information but it seems of little value to get into a flame war. My only real contribution I can make to this forum is to let others know how greatly this kit will let you down if you drive on track.

You can read through the last 3-5 pages and see anyone who tracks this car with a JRSC and an oil cooler built to JR spec and mounting location is having overheating issues and has to make some considerable changes to their bumper, air flow, and cooler mounting locations to get more then a few hot laps in, and most is fingers crossed best guess if there will be an improvement. Go read JR documentation and see if that's listed anywhere.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:54 AM   #5370
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved View Post
This isn't really directed at you personally but I've found a lot of these comments are a bit bs and are traded around pretty freely as fact:
-The speed academy guys were sponsored by JR, which ties their hands in making honest assessments (I enjoy their content, but they're a business)
- If I remember correctly their temp reading was inaccurate because they placed their sensor in a non optimal place, I'm picking up from obd2 and oil filter sandwich plate
- the speed academy guys run time attack-like sessions on a small track, sub 1:30 ( I used to live in Ontario and ran TMP many times) which doesn't correlate to temps on big momentum tracks or long sessions (20-30 min).
- the JR products are titled in a very misleading way which makes it easy to misunderstood their intended usage. ie: Track oil cooler, JRSC = insufficient cooling for most non-race track duty.

I was also going to add comments about some vendors who post in this thread for inaccurate and misleading information but it seems of little value to get into a flame war. My only real contribution I can make to this forum is to let others know how greatly this kit will let you down if you drive on track.

You can read through the last 3-5 pages and see anyone who tracks this car with a JRSC and an oil cooler built to JR spec and mounting location is having overheating issues and has to make some considerable changes to their bumper, air flow, and cooler mounting locations to get more then a few hot laps in, and most is fingers crossed best guess if there will be an improvement. Go read JR documentation and see if that's listed anywhere.
To me, that is called track prep. It is not supposed to be easy, cheap, and quick. If you are not ready to solve those problems and even swap the engine at some point, racing should not be considered. In my opinion, you are failing not the kit. I am sure you can get upset with me but this is my opinion. I will not turn this thread into a flame show. So, good luck again.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:29 PM   #5371
mistople

Drives: 2017 BRZ (Sold), 2023 GR86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
In my opinion, you are failing not the kit.
mistople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:21 PM   #5372
steved

Quote:
To me, that is called track prep. It is not supposed to be easy, cheap, and quick. If you are not ready to solve those problems and even swap the engine at some point, racing should not be considered. In my opinion, you are failing not the kit. I am sure you can get upset with me but this is my opinion. I will not turn this thread into a flame show. So, good luck again.
Yikes.. I'm not getting upset with you, I just want people who read these comments in the future to know what they're getting themselves into.

1. Track prep in the context of lapping is pads, fluid, and tires, not cutting a bumper. Im prepared to, and have, been deeper into it, but track prep is not what it is.
2. I'm not racing, I attend lapping events
3. I never said it should be easy or quick, and it's definitely not cheap
4. It's a kit.. with one way to mount it. As in I paid JR for their engineering just like I paid KW for my coilovers.. and my suspension works as advertised.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:17 PM   #5373
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I’m a little surprised at the recent spike of overheating issues after this kit has been available for so many years. I was under the impression this was one of the only FI options that doesn’t overheat on track without extensive heat mitigation effort. What gives? Conspiracy theories aside, who here is *actually* pushing this kit under high stress for 20-30 minute sessions and achieving manageable temps?
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 03:37 PM   #5374
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,336 Times in 7,387 Posts
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhaus View Post
I’m a little surprised at the recent spike of overheating issues after this kit has been available for so many years. I was under the impression this was one of the only FI options that doesn’t overheat on track without extensive heat mitigation effort. What gives? Conspiracy theories aside, who here is *actually* pushing this kit under high stress for 20-30 minute sessions and achieving manageable temps?
Define overheat though? Some people are under the impression that 260F oil temp is end of the world bad. I'd say if you are doing UOA's and they are coming back fine, and you are maintaining oil pressure at temp then what are you worrying about
Old 03-25-2020, 01:47 PM   #5375
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Garage
I would do the followings if I were trying to reduce the temperature on track.

- Check Oil pump working fine, are oil channels open, oil pressure okay
- Check coolant circulation, thermostat opening properly
- Sufficient air flowing through the radiator. Air guides behind the bumper cover installed properly
- Radiator upgrade and racing thermostat
- Install Oil cooler
- Install hood vents
- Get a proper tune. This does not mean the tune for highest power. The system can be too rich.
- Upgrade short block with better oil pump and widened oil channels

I know the last option is expensive and buying a different car can be considered instead. I might just buy a C7 Grand Sport instead.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:26 AM   #5376
AndreC

Drives: Fast track beast
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'll say this. I posted a few times over the last few years asking if anyone was having cooling issues running the JR kit for track use. Crickets.

Now, all of a sudden the data is coming out confirming my own experiences, which are probably finally now resolved but with extensive reworking to front end airflow, but unfortunately causing HG issues with both my engines before solved.

I've raced and chatted with Dave and Pete at Speed Academy and they have not had any overheating such as I have, but as mentioned they're also not running 30+ min races at full pin like I am.

So yes, extensive reworking is necessary to gain proper airflow through all cooling components and eliminate heat soak with the way the kit is set up.

I've now rebuilt my first engine, so maybe after all this Corona shit is done I can track test and confirm all overheating is behind me. I also have no plans to remove the JRSC unless I convert to an LS swap. Food for thought.
AndreC is offline   Reply With Quote