follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 06-13-2022, 02:03 PM   #2395
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
I laugh about how often it comes down to who clicks first. I lose because I spend too much time editing.
There is pretty much something that already exists that will cover all circumstances.

Old 06-13-2022, 02:23 PM   #2396
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,187 Times in 3,474 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Your background doesn't really change my opinion, or answer. I don't use an independent specialty shop. I use a general mechanic that works on all makes and models. I prefer someone with a broader range of knowledge personally because I don't want to have to go to a different shop depending on car make/model.

The one I use also does work for several large independent used car lots so they basically see every make/model of car I would ever own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
IMPOSSIBLE!
It has been well established on this forum that techs can only possibly know one make of car at a time.

Pretty sure the repair industry controls this!

I have discovered a local garage, family run.. Will pop by their workshop this coming weekend.. Check the vibe.. Called a local Subaru dealer, they sell various other makes including MG! Didn't inspire me with confidence...

Fensport has stopped doing the annual roadworthy tests, so that's another hurdle.. will keep you posted with developments, I promise!!

Oh, I learned the other day that we can't multi-task, this is from a very good source (Earl Miller, MIT)... I would have posted this on the correct day but was too busy fucking about looking for a Subaru service centre...
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JD001 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-13-2022), soundman98 (06-13-2022)
Old 06-13-2022, 02:26 PM   #2397
JD001

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
But it is a Subaru engine so the Toyota techs are baffled as soon as they open the hood.

Going to a Toyota dealer had crossed my mind, it was fleeting nanosecond...
Old 06-13-2022, 02:46 PM   #2398
Stephen W.

Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Thanked 2,449 Times in 965 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Well, not just today but over the past six weeks I've learned that:
Hours: We're open 24/7. doesn't meanwhat you and I think it means.
You see about six to seven weeks ago I started to loose satellite signal. That means frozen screens, pixelated images and then the dredded error message:
Your receiver has lost satellite signal.
This is due to Mother Nature had her big leaf brigade. So I stat calling arborists to get a quote on having the trees (in my yard) that are blocking my signal trimmed.
But does anyone answer my calls, returns my voice mails or replies to the on-line forums I've filled out. NOPE! Not a one.
I got angry and two weeks ago I started phoning and leaving very harsh comments about the lack of professionalism in the Tree Service business. Of all the messages I left I had only two guys return my calls. Both booked appoints to come out and quote me BUT! Only if there was more work then just trimming some trees to gain satillite service. Well it so happens that yes, I have a dozen trees that need to come down plus others that should be cut back. So I said yes but would they please quote things separately so I can get what I can afford done now and the rest at a later date.
Both said no problem and both came out the next day. The one came first thing in the morning, told me how ht would do everything and use big think mats to drive on and to protect the grass from falling limbs.
the second guy came late in the day and said basically the same things but no mats and more climbing less bucket truck due to the lack of back yard access.
I got a verbal quote from the second guy and an email quote from the first. I was surprised that both were near exactly the same for everything even though their individual parts were different.
Now here's the kicker, guy #1 won't come to just do the leaves so I can get my satellite back. He will only come to do everything and it's a two day job that he can't possible do before mid to late July!

The second guy says he'll stop by after his next job and trim the leaves. He'll come back to do the rest of the tree removal in July.
So I go with guy #2 and he's suppose to have been here last Thursday. I talked to him just now and he's hoping to get back to me by Friday of this week.
Not only do they not man their phones/web sites 24/7 they can't be bothered to keep a new customer informed of changes in their schedule.
Stephen W. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen W. For This Useful Post:
JD001 (06-13-2022)
Old 06-13-2022, 03:57 PM   #2399
JD001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen W. View Post
You see about six to seven weeks ago I started to loose satellite signal. That means frozen screens, pixelated images and then the dredded error message:
This is due to Mother Nature had her big leaf brigade. So I stat calling arborists to get a quote on having the trees (in my yard) that are blocking my signal trimmed.
But does anyone answer my calls, returns my voice mails or replies to the on-line forums I've filled out. NOPE! Not a one.
I got angry and two weeks ago I started phoning and leaving very harsh comments about the lack of professionalism in the Tree Service business. Of all the messages I left I had only two guys return my calls. Both booked appoints to come out and quote me BUT! Only if there was more work then just trimming some trees to gain satillite service. Well it so happens that yes, I have a dozen trees that need to come down plus others that should be cut back. So I said yes but would they please quote things separately so I can get what I can afford done now and the rest at a later date.
Both said no problem and both came out the next day. The one came first thing in the morning, told me how ht would do everything and use big think mats to drive on and to protect the grass from falling limbs.
the second guy came late in the day and said basically the same things but no mats and more climbing less bucket truck due to the lack of back yard access.
I got a verbal quote from the second guy and an email quote from the first. I was surprised that both were near exactly the same for everything even though their individual parts were different.
Now here's the kicker, guy #1 won't come to just do the leaves so I can get my satellite back. He will only come to do everything and it's a two day job that he can't possible do before mid to late July!

The second guy says he'll stop by after his next job and trim the leaves. He'll come back to do the rest of the tree removal in July.
So I go with guy #2 and he's suppose to have been here last Thursday. I talked to him just now and he's hoping to get back to me by Friday of this week.
Not only do they not man their phones/web sites 24/7 they can't be bothered to keep a new customer informed of changes in their schedule.
I have a very strong feeling that there is moral or even a meme in this story.. You need to give the second guy the chop, get the first back, trim his quote.. Touch wood, you should get a clearer message..
The Following User Says Thank You to JD001 For This Useful Post:
Stephen W. (06-13-2022)
Old 06-13-2022, 04:23 PM   #2400
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,434 Times in 6,149 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:

That's what chainsaws and polesaws are for.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 04:30 PM   #2401
Stephen W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
My days of climbing trees and using chainsaws is well passed me. That's what "professional arborists" are for. (And why they charge big money!)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stephen W. For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (06-13-2022), Spuds (06-13-2022), The Red One (06-13-2022)
Old 06-13-2022, 04:44 PM   #2402
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,327 Times in 7,384 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post

We use chainsaws and tracksteers.

soundman98 (06-13-2022), Spuds (06-13-2022)
Old 06-13-2022, 05:12 PM   #2403
The Red One
Planning summer road trip

Drives: 2019 Sport-tech RS. City car: GD3
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Sorry to hear your frustrations at getting good service Welcome to the real world.

I had an experience 2 months ago with similar services that was quite the opposite in outcome..

Mid march I really needed my old apple tree pruned, some large dead branches to cut and clear off the shade to my neighbours property, ( Pls when you install your new pools don’t do like my neighbour and stick it under a old fruit tree, you have a whole yard to place it in.) I had been investigating getting my tree trimmed for a few weeks as the early spring seems to be the right time to do it, saw my neighbour early one morning and he advised me my tree was dumping too many apples and leaves in his pool and what im I going to do about it? ( I fell off my ladder a few years ago and cracked a few ribs, I don’t do ladders anymore tree was overdue for some care) Called up my local professional that I had never used before, shows up 2 hrs later says he has no time for next few weeks to do the job, gives me a quote that is nice for my budget, calls me back around 3PM if his team could pass right away ? 6 guys show up and job gets done. While they were here one guy zip tied the neighbourhood Fibre cables that were hanging low to the ground, Propped up my aging fencing because it interfered with their access… Job well done!

Saw my neighbour a few days after and he never noticed the cut tree!
The Red One is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Red One For This Useful Post:
Stephen W. (06-13-2022)
Old 06-13-2022, 07:24 PM   #2404
pope
has a funny hat

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red One View Post
. . . saw my neighbour early one morning and he advised me my tree was dumping too many apples and leaves in his pool and what im I going to do about it?
Generally, any part of a tree overhanging a property line (and the droppings) become the responsibility of the affected property owner, not the owner of the tree. However, if the adjoining property owner damages/kills the tree by trimming overhanging branches they become likable for the real cost of restoring the tree and in some states/jurisdictions the damages are automatically tripled.

Example: kill a neighbor’s 50 year old tree, become responsible for cost of transplanting comparable 50 year old tree (10’s-100’s of thousands of $, then tripled)

Being a nice neighbor is good and all, but wasn’t your problem.
pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pope For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-14-2022)
Old 06-13-2022, 09:10 PM   #2405
Stephen W.

Quote:
Sorry to hear your frustrations at getting good service Welcome to the real world.

I had an experience 2 months ago with similar services that was quite the opposite in outcome..

Mid march I really needed my old apple tree pruned, some large dead branches to cut and clear off the shade to my neighbours property, ( Pls when you install your new pools don’t do like my neighbour and stick it under a old fruit tree, you have a whole yard to place it in.) I had been investigating getting my tree trimmed for a few weeks as the early spring seems to be the right time to do it, saw my neighbour early one morning and he advised me my tree was dumping too many apples and leaves in his pool and what im I going to do about it? ( I fell off my ladder a few years ago and cracked a few ribs, I don’t do ladders anymore tree was overdue for some care) Called up my local professional that I had never used before, shows up 2 hrs later says he has no time for next few weeks to do the job, gives me a quote that is nice for my budget, calls me back around 3PM if his team could pass right away ? 6 guys show up and job gets done. While they were here one guy zip tied the neighbourhood Fibre cables that were hanging low to the ground, Propped up my aging fencing because it interfered with their access… Job well done!

Saw my neighbour a few days after and he never noticed the cut tree!
Actually, the guy I picked did some work for my youngest daughter. Cleaned up a mess left behind by Ontario Hydro when they took down a tree in her front yard. He then did a remarkable job in bringing down a huge old Oak that was about to split and might have damaged two homes. His crew was quick, professional and left things looking better then before. I was expecting the same. However, a major storm came through 5 weeks ago and now it seems everyone is cherry picking the best (big dollar) jobs and people like me are getting the shaft.
Old 06-13-2022, 09:29 PM   #2406
The Red One
Planning summer road trip

Drives: 2019 Sport-tech RS. City car: GD3
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
However, a major storm came through 5 weeks ago and now it seems everyone is cherry picking the best (big dollar) jobs and people like me are getting the shaft.
Was that the storm that caused massive power failures?

I was on my way back from a family picnic on the Rideau at Kempville when an extreme weather warning was received. That storm was nasty, my niece near Ottawa was out for a few days. Saw lots of your Ontario crews still helping out at Tremblant last week.
The Red One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 06:35 AM   #2407
Stephen W.

Quote:
Was that the storm that caused massive power failures?

I was on my way back from a family picnic on the Rideau at Kempville when an extreme weather warning was received. That storm was nasty, my niece near Ottawa was out for a few days. Saw lots of your Ontario crews still helping out at Tremblant last week.
Yep that was it. Oldest daughter lives just north of Norwood and they were without power for 6 days.
Old 06-14-2022, 02:58 PM   #2408
nextcar
Guilt free parts vulture!

Drives: 2013 FR-S - Asphalt 6MT
Thanked 1,764 Times in 934 Posts
TIL that the Floppotron exists, and is on version 3.0:

nextcar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nextcar For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (06-14-2022), Dadhawk (06-14-2022), Ultramaroon (06-14-2022)