follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 09-25-2022, 02:28 PM   #1
MaxwellSlides

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tips for servicing manual transmission ?

Heya folks,

So recently I did a clutch job and drained the transmission, refilling it with Royal Purple. The car is running a lot hotter than usual and when I lift the hood it smells like something is a bit burnt. No real huge leaks. The car has a lot more thrust than before the job, kinda feels like a wound up toy car on the freeway, and in the lower revs 3-4k there are some clunky noises. Car isn’t exactly quiet either when it idles, as now I have this ticking noise when idling.

Are these symptoms of too much oil or too little? I know you’re supposed to wait a bit for the oil to slow while it’s weeping out the fill hole, but should I cap it right when it fills, when the stream slows to a thin stream/a trickle, or when it stops weeping?

Also, should I drain the differential and replace that? I’m thinking since once oil is old and the trans oil is new maybe that could cause some problems.
MaxwellSlides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 04:25 PM   #2
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxwellSlides View Post
Heya folks,

So recently I did a clutch job and drained the transmission, refilling it with Royal Purple. The car is running a lot hotter than usual and when I lift the hood it smells like something is a bit burnt. No real huge leaks. The car has a lot more thrust than before the job, kinda feels like a wound up toy car on the freeway, and in the lower revs 3-4k there are some clunky noises. Car isn’t exactly quiet either when it idles, as now I have this ticking noise when idling.

Are these symptoms of too much oil or too little? I know you’re supposed to wait a bit for the oil to slow while it’s weeping out the fill hole, but should I cap it right when it fills, when the stream slows to a thin stream/a trickle, or when it stops weeping?

Also, should I drain the differential and replace that? I’m thinking since once oil is old and the trans oil is new maybe that could cause some problems.
Nothing sounds wrong. None of those symptoms are related to transmission fluid.

The car isn't running any hotter. The burning smell is normal after installing a brand new clutch. Like brake rotors, new clutches come in the box with a film of oil to prevent rusting during storage. All of that oil is burning off. Shouldn't have any issues as long as you cleaned the oil off the flywheel and pressure plate friction surfaces before installing. Give it a few days, and the burning smell should go away. If it was your trans fluid, it would smell like smoky rotten eggs.

The car doesn't have any more or less "thrust." Your new clutch probably has more friction/bite than your old clutch, which makes it feel like it's grabbing harder. Again, nothing to do with trans fluid.

Ticking/noisy clutch can be normal as well. If you installed an aftermarket clutch, it can chatter. If it's an OEM clutch there shouldn't be much chatter. Aftermarket clutches can chatter a lot, especially those with lightweight flywheels. Again, nothing to do with trans fluid.
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EndlessAzure For This Useful Post:
Wally86 (09-27-2022)
Old 09-26-2022, 01:30 AM   #3
MaxwellSlides

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessAzure View Post
Nothing sounds wrong. None of those symptoms are related to transmission fluid.

The car isn't running any hotter. The burning smell is normal after installing a brand new clutch. Like brake rotors, new clutches come in the box with a film of oil to prevent rusting during storage. All of that oil is burning off. Shouldn't have any issues as long as you cleaned the oil off the flywheel and pressure plate friction surfaces before installing. Give it a few days, and the burning smell should go away. If it was your trans fluid, it would smell like smoky rotten eggs.

The car doesn't have any more or less "thrust." Your new clutch probably has more friction/bite than your old clutch, which makes it feel like it's grabbing harder. Again, nothing to do with trans fluid.

Ticking/noisy clutch can be normal as well. If you installed an aftermarket clutch, it can chatter. If it's an OEM clutch there shouldn't be much chatter. Aftermarket clutches can chatter a lot, especially those with lightweight flywheels. Again, nothing to do with trans fluid.
Well that definitely gives me some perspective. Thanks a lot dude!

As for the ticking it actually is coming from the engine。
MaxwellSlides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 09:13 PM   #4
blsfrs

Drives: 2013 frs base
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxwellSlides View Post
Well that definitely gives me some perspective. Thanks a lot dude!

As for the ticking it actually is coming from the engine。
These engines tend to be very noisy. Direct and port injectors do make a racket. Post a video of the engine if you think your ticking is unusual.

Did you check for exhaust leaks after installing the clutch?
blsfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blsfrs For This Useful Post:
Wally86 (09-27-2022)