follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 08-06-2022, 04:06 AM   #351
Thatllbuffout

Drives: WRX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidsnake View Post
How worried are you all about RTV and silicone in the oil pick up?
My 23' will be here in about 2 weeks. I'm honestly not worried at all. I've owned many performance Subaru's and there is always something; glass trans, ring land, headgasket, and now this. I will drive it without reservation and enjoy it. If it blows, it blows. That's why we have a warranty.
Thatllbuffout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thatllbuffout For This Useful Post:
G_Ride (08-10-2022), Tcoat (08-10-2022)
Old 08-06-2022, 10:28 AM   #352
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,229 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Not at all. It's got a warranty and now national attention has been brought to the issue. I wasn't planning on tracking this car anyway, just wanted another fun car to have for nice days and long drives since I sold my last fun car in March of last year.

Already have all my suspension pieces, just ordered the factory ducktail spoiler.

Trying to make a decision on wheels so they will be here before the car gets here so I can have them ceramic coated when I have the car coated and windows tinted.

Then pick a catback exhaust, wait for OEM Audio to release their 2022+ full kit with sub, and that's pretty much all I'm going to do to it. Unless Edelbrock comes out with a S/C kit for it.
Tcoat (08-10-2022)
Old 08-09-2022, 04:43 AM   #353
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
On a scale of 1 (no worries whatsoever) to 10 (omg-I-can't-sleep-why-isn't-Subaru-returning-my-99th-call?)... I'm sitting at a 4. I'm concerned but at the same time, I'm doing my due diligence and making sure all my oil changes are documented and my oil analysis samples are sent to the labs.

I did find some RTV on my dipstick and have reached out to a local trustworthy Subaru service advisor to see what his dealer wants to do. I'm willing to pay for them to drop the pan and then allow me to see the pick up tube and screen. Not looking for a free lunch but if Subaru has made a mistake, I'm going to pursue that when the time comes as opposed to get all Karen about it right off the bat.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frost For This Useful Post:
alphasaur (08-09-2022), Tcoat (08-10-2022)
Old 08-09-2022, 08:31 AM   #354
danson

Drives: 22 brz

Ugh I watched this video and made me sick. Then it dawned on me that about 2 months after I got my car I was just driving to work and did a very light pull to get up to speed on the interstate and a light came on my dash for about 15 seconds. When I got to work I got the following email from Starlink. Took it to a dealer and they said everything was fine and changed my oil (it was about 1400 miles, due for a break in change). Anyone else had issues with unexpected oil pressure lights?

danson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 08:58 AM   #355
dragoontwo

Drives: 22 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by danson View Post
Ugh I watched this video and made me sick. Then it dawned on me that about 2 months after I got my car I was just driving to work and did a very light pull to get up to speed on the interstate and a light came on my dash for about 15 seconds. When I got to work I got the following email from Starlink. Took it to a dealer and they said everything was fine and changed my oil (it was about 1400 miles, due for a break in change). Anyone else had issues with unexpected oil pressure lights?
Build date?
dragoontwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 11:32 AM   #356
danson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoontwo View Post
Build date?
Jan 25th
Old 08-09-2022, 09:33 PM   #357
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by danson View Post

Do what I'm about to do: send it to dealer, be prepared to ask them to drop the pan, drop the intake, take photos of the filter and clean it if RTV shows up. In my case, my dealer said if they do find RTV on it the filter, they'd ring up Subaru for further instructions.

That said, if no RTV is found, I pay for everything.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frost For This Useful Post:
CaptainFenderbaum (08-10-2022), Petah78 (08-10-2022)
Old 08-10-2022, 07:32 AM   #358
Petah78

Drives: 2022 BRZ sport-tech
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
Do what I'm about to do: send it to dealer, be prepared to ask them to drop the pan, drop the intake, take photos of the filter and clean it if RTV shows up. In my case, my dealer said if they do find RTV on it the filter, they'd ring up Subaru for further instructions.

I noticed you are from Toronto dealer, which dealership is this? And how much will this cost you if no RTV is found? And if RTV is found, what then? I actually emailed Subaru Canada asking about options. I didn't want to deal with a dealer just yet. What is the build date on your unit?

Thanks.
Past: 92 EG w/JDM B18C, 00 EK w/JDM B18C, 04 600RR, 97 ITR #421, 10 Acura CSX-S, 17 BRZ
Current: 22 BRZ, 00 S2K - #0220

Last edited by Petah78; 08-10-2022 at 09:42 AM.
Petah78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 09:18 AM   #359
Thatllbuffout

Drives: WRX
Frost, please let Opie know. He's in the GR86 forum thread about RTV issues. He's looking specifically for people with BRZs and RTV issues. I know you haven't pulled your pan yet but he may want to hear from you since you found it on your dipstick. He has some kinda connection with Subaru and says they are investigating.
Thatllbuffout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thatllbuffout For This Useful Post:
Petah78 (08-10-2022)
Old 08-10-2022, 12:45 PM   #360
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,229 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

Let's be clear. Did you get a low oil pressure light?

If you didn't, you seem to be adding to the hysteria over the issue.
Old 08-10-2022, 08:30 PM   #361
danson

Yeah I'm not doing anything for the time being, but at this point I'd bet money I have at least a little RTV in my pickup. I honestly don't trust any of the dealers I've been to yet to drop the pan and start fucking around with the engine without additional guidance from Subaru.

Now if they issue a recall with detailed service bulletins and instructions for techs to follow ill take it in, but probably wait as long as I can bear to give them some practice on a couple others.

If I get more oil pressure lights or other issues though, Ill be forced to do something.

I guess no one else has seen that light/message?
Old 08-10-2022, 09:05 PM   #362
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Let's be clear. Did you get a low oil pressure light?

If you didn't, you seem to be adding to the hysteria over the issue.
There's a difference between being proactive and adding hysteria - please note the difference.

To answer your question, I did not get a low oil pressure light. That said, we all know by the time you see it, it is WAY too late. I have see RTV on my dipstick before and on two separate pulls. Also, your analogy about no light therefore no need to drop the pan is like saying no need to top oil until light comes on. I don't see the logic here.

I'm just being fairly low key about it and getting the pan dropped at Scaboro Subaru and getting it documented whether I have issues with RTV in my pan and/or pickup. No asking for a free lunch here. No Karen'ing here - no demands of free work. If I have RTV, the dealer has promised me to document it and I will keep the paperwork along with all my 2 oil changes and the analysis. Speaking of which, this will be my THIRD oil change in less than 4800kms and yes, I'll be collecting oil for an oil sample yet again.

Adding histeria would be making a post of its own and screaming bloody murder and posting on YouTube and such. There have totally been plenty of those right now and I'm sure Toyobaru have initiated some sort of internal investigation to do so.

I've worked warranty side of things before, I'm just making myself out to be as reasonable as possible and as documented as possible so when the desk person sees my file, its a rubber stamp. God knows, I know an easy warranty approval / reasonable customer when I see their claim file.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK

Last edited by Frost; 08-10-2022 at 09:37 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frost For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (08-11-2022), MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires (08-11-2022), Tcoat (08-12-2022)
Old 08-11-2022, 07:36 PM   #363
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Garage
UPDATE: Got my pan dropped and dealer did state they agreed that there was more RTV on the edge than expected and found some RTV in the pan but none in my pickup tube. They took a photo of it and put it in the report. Resealed the pan and away I went. Sure I just paid for a service that shouldn't have been necessary but there's a difference between necessary maintenance and preventative maintenance.

Now, I just keep sending her and I will likely, for science purposes, drop the pan again at the beginning of next season to see if there's any RTV again or until Subayota come up with an explanation and/or TSB. If have two oil pan drops in a row with nothing in the screen, I will have to give more credence that I will likely not see RTV in the next drop so I will start having to justify spending money on the pan drops. Hey, look... problem solving!

People are also forgetting this is a 5 sided screen, all the photos so far are just one out of the five sides. Something to consider.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Frost For This Useful Post:
Chrisz5z (08-11-2022), JusTheG (08-12-2022), Pat (08-11-2022), Petah78 (08-11-2022), Tcoat (08-12-2022)
Old 08-11-2022, 10:28 PM   #364
Petah78

Drives: 2022 BRZ sport-tech
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
UPDATE: Got my pan dropped and dealer did state they agreed that there was more RTV on the edge than expected and found some RTV in the pan but none in my pickup tube. They took a photo of it and put it in the report. Resealed the pan and away I went. Sure I just paid for a service that shouldn't have been necessary but there's a difference between necessary maintenance and preventative maintenance.

Now, I just keep sending her and I will likely, for science purposes, drop the pan again at the beginning of next season to see if there's any RTV again or until Subayota come up with an explanation and/or TSB. If have two oil pan drops in a row with nothing in the screen, I will have to give more credence that I will likely not see RTV in the next drop so I will start having to justify spending money on the pan drops. Hey, look... problem solving!

People are also forgetting this is a 5 sided screen, all the photos so far are just one out of the five sides. Something to consider.
Thank you for the update. You are the first that have reported no RTV in the pick up after dropping the pan. It's interesting how the RTV in the pan didn't get sucked up. Do you mind sharing the cost of this service and the build date of your car?

Thanks.
Past: 92 EG w/JDM B18C, 00 EK w/JDM B18C, 04 600RR, 97 ITR #421, 10 Acura CSX-S, 17 BRZ
Current: 22 BRZ, 00 S2K - #0220
Petah78 is offline   Reply With Quote