follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-14-2017, 01:53 PM   #43
Mule
Banned

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'll weigh in here since there doesn't seem to be a ton of MT love in this thread...

Aside from the awkwardly high engagement point of the clutch (which you get used to after driving it and not other MT cars after a while), this MT is one of the best in the business. And I've driven a TON of Porsches.

The auto, while a good transmission, is nowhere near the top of the heap when it comes to its peers. VW's DSG, Porsche's PDK, and even the now ubiquitous ZF 8-speed are all superior ATs.

If you don't have any physical impediments and you're fluent with a manual transmission, you owe it to yourself to get the transmission that has best perfected its job, and the MT in these cars represents a higher evolution.

Finally, I don't give a hoot what road you're on - nothing, NOTHING tops well executed downshift. I get to have 20-30 or so mini-orgasms every commute with my MT

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:02 PM   #44
fierostetz

Drives: '87 Buick GN, '16 500 Abarth
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
I'll weigh in here since there doesn't seem to be a ton of MT love in this thread...

Aside from the awkwardly high engagement point of the clutch (which you get used to after driving it and not other MT cars after a while), this MT is one of the best in the business. And I've driven a TON of Porsches.

The auto, while a good transmission, is nowhere near the top of the heap when it comes to its peers. VW's DSG, Porsche's PDK, and even the now ubiquitous ZF 8-speed are all superior ATs.

If you don't have any physical impediments and you're fluent with a manual transmission, you owe it to yourself to get the transmission that has best perfected its job, and the MT in these cars represents a higher evolution.

Finally, I don't give a hoot what road you're on - nothing, NOTHING tops well executed downshift. I get to have 20-30 or so mini-orgasms every commute with my MT

Hope that helps.

Yeah I definitely prefer MT, but after driving to tahoe in an MT recently, the first hour after arrival at my hotel was icing my clutch knee :P getting old sux
fierostetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:09 PM   #45
TheRoops

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierostetz View Post
I'm struggling internally with AT vs MT right now. If the car had torque the decision would be easier to make; with my Abarth (5spd), the Auto is actually a little quicker than the manual because of the turbo midrange and gearing. I didn't realize how good the AT was in that car or I probably would've bought one, its really more fun than the MT. I live in OC and the traffic is balls... had a knee replaced so I'm almost accepting an AT, but the lack of torque really is making the AT a tough sell. The 86/BRZ AT is pretty good, it just suffers in the 0-20 range.
Mine came with some mods, such as an aftermarket header and tune-up. If I decidedly press the gas in about a 3rd of the way in, the car leaps and presses me hard into my seat. Anything less than a 3rd of the way in I do get that gentle dip which isn't bothersome. I live and work near you and especially with the I-5 expansion traffic, the AT has been a lifesaver.
TheRoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:27 PM   #46
bzdont

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited SWP
"Automatically less fun"

Headline quote from just-published review over on caranddriver.com

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ic-test-review
bzdont is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bzdont For This Useful Post:
Mule (08-14-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 02:45 PM   #47
Alltezza

Drives: WRB Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
@leevanf
Get a manual, you'll regret getting an AT. Here's a recent example....

https://www.reddit.com/r/ft86/commen..._my_automatic/

I've seen people ask how hard or how much it would be to swap the transmissions which would cost a lot more than if you would have just got a MT to begin with.

And a lot of people just regret it, AT gets a lot of hate because it takes away a lot of what this car is known for. Based on your first post you want a MT anyways don't sell yourself short.
Alltezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:43 PM   #48
darthpnoy1984

Drives: 15 ZN6 Asphalt
Considering an AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltezza View Post
@leevanf
Get a manual, you'll regret getting an AT. Here's a recent example....

https://www.reddit.com/r/ft86/commen..._my_automatic/

I've seen people ask how hard or how much it would be to swap the transmissions which would cost a lot more than if you would have just got a MT to begin with.

And a lot of people just regret it, AT gets a lot of hate because it takes away a lot of what this car is known for. Based on your first post you want a MT anyways don't sell yourself short.

I'm a die hard MT guy through and through owning 2 FG2 Civic Si's, 3 Celica 2 GT and 1 GTS for a car under 30K with the way the transmission shifts is amazing. Even though I sold my 15 FRS AT, the way the AT responds is commendable. I actually enjoyed the car and honestly never took away a single bit from what the car is really about.

davesrave (08-17-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 03:52 PM   #49
Mule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzdont View Post
"Automatically less fun"

Headline quote from just-published review over on caranddriver.com

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ic-test-review

Truth.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:28 PM   #50
willimusk

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP CWP
I'm sure the AT is still a blast, even if maybe slightly less of one for the shifty-minded like me. The whole reason I bought this car was to return to shifting after a 10-year hiatus. But then, I only drive it on freeways voluntarily. Were I required to spend hours each day in b-to-b traffic, I might have taken another course.
willimusk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to willimusk For This Useful Post:
darthpnoy1984 (08-14-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 04:42 PM   #51
darthpnoy1984

Drives: 15 ZN6 Asphalt
Quote:
Originally Posted by willimusk View Post
I'm sure the AT is still a blast, even if maybe slightly less of one for the shifty-minded like me. The whole reason I bought this car was to return to shifting after a 10-year hiatus. But then, I only drive it on freeways voluntarily. Were I required to spend hours each day in b-to-b traffic, I might have taken another course.

Absolutely agree on this part if one intends to DD this no question on the AT.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:21 PM   #52
TheRoops

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.Blue
@Tcoat, they arrived.
TheRoops is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheRoops For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (08-14-2017), Tcoat (08-15-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 05:44 PM   #53
Mule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthpnoy1984 View Post
Absolutely agree on this part if one intends to DD this no question on the AT.

I'm not quite sure what the aversion is to a MT DD...OP mentioned he's got some knee issues, which fine - but if you have two functioning knees and feet I'm not quite sure what the big deal is. I DD mine and frankly, my commute would be way more boring if I wasn't shifting.

I've driven an AT FRS too - great car! But it truly comes alive with a manual...

Old 08-14-2017, 09:27 PM   #54
LudwigMiles
Banned

Drives: '13 BRZ
I don't get the argument about AT not being able to get all the power.
If the AT allows you to control the shift points, via paddles, then the AT can probably offer 95% of the performance of a MT.

The ironic part is that a huge proportion of MT drivers never even let the revs go above 3k. They shift at 3k like a Civic, and then they don't even bother do downshift before a curve to enter the curve at 4000 rpms. If that's how you drive a stick, you might as well get an AT.

The guy with an AT, but who knows how to use the paddles to keep the revs between 4k to 6k will get much more performance than the Civic style MT driver.

So, as usual, it's all about the driver. Not the equipment.
LudwigMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LudwigMiles For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (08-15-2017), mrg666 (08-15-2017), Tcoat (08-16-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 10:25 PM   #55
leevanf

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited A/T
Considering an AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigMiles View Post
I don't get the argument about AT not being able to get all the power.
If the AT allows you to control the shift points, via paddles, then the AT can probably offer 95% of the performance of a MT.

The ironic part is that a huge proportion of MT drivers never even let the revs go above 3k. They shift at 3k like a Civic, and then they don't even bother do downshift before a curve to enter the curve at 4000 rpms. If that's how you drive a stick, you might as well get an AT.

The guy with an AT, but who knows how to use the paddles to keep the revs between 4k to 6k will get much more performance than the Civic style MT driver.

So, as usual, it's all about the driver. Not the equipment.

Kinda agree here.. and for city driving where i am in a 15kph crawl 95% of the time, I cant enjoy the manual the way it should be. Its a simple enjoy manual 5% of the time or enjoy AT 95% of the time. And AT it was!

Those saying MT is the only way it should be are probably those fortunate to have easy access to trafficless freeways and mountain roads. We dont have that much in our country. Backroads have potholes and freeways/expressways are limited to 100kph. The rest is all traffic road. The only real place i can enjoy the manual is a mountain road that i can visit only maybe 5x yearly.

leevanf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to leevanf For This Useful Post:
Mule (08-14-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 10:28 PM   #56
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I drive 45 miles each way to work and sit in a good 15 minutes of traffic each way and I still prefer a manual over auto. Its not about power or 'driving it like it should be', I just like manual.
B-R-Z is offline   Reply With Quote