follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-12-2015, 07:37 AM   #1
pepe

Drives: gt86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
frontpipe and emissions control

Hi! someone has increased emissions measured using a hks frontpipe? or any other frontpipe decated?
and frontpipe catted?
Very thanzs!
pepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:37 AM   #2
2016 Camaro SS

Drives: Fast
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Well, depending on how strict your emissions are in Spain, visually you will fail if you remove a cat.

If you're going by a "sniffer" test, you can pass with 1 cat. Catless will cause you to fail on some occasions, and it also stinks pretty bad from behind the car.

The most optimal setup to stay emissions friendly, provide great performance, and pass visually is to go with a catless header, and a catted front pipe. Visually, it's hard to see the cat in the stock header, but the front pipe cat is seen easily.

If you are tuned and your rear O2 is deleted, you will fail an inspection instantly. This is why its handy to have a stock tune file ready to flash or go back to just for inspections.

Like I said, I don't know how emissions are measured in Spain, but if you want to play it safe, keep a high flow cat in your front pipe.
2016 Camaro SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:23 AM   #3
pepe

Drives: gt86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
ok, very thanzs!
pepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:23 AM   #4
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016 Camaro SS View Post
Well, depending on how strict your emissions are in Spain, visually you will fail if you remove a cat.

If you're going by a "sniffer" test, you can pass with 1 cat. Catless will cause you to fail on some occasions, and it also stinks pretty bad from behind the car.

The most optimal setup to stay emissions friendly, provide great performance, and pass visually is to go with a catless header, and a catted front pipe. Visually, it's hard to see the cat in the stock header, but the front pipe cat is seen easily.

If you are tuned and your rear O2 is deleted, you will fail an inspection instantly. This is why its handy to have a stock tune file ready to flash or go back to just for inspections.

Like I said, I don't know how emissions are measured in Spain, but if you want to play it safe, keep a high flow cat in your front pipe.
You can be tuned with the rear O2 input deleted, but KEEP the physical hardware connected. With the code turned off in the tune, there's no way for an inspection to tell that that's the case. All hardware looks to be in place.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:46 AM   #5
2016 Camaro SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
You can be tuned with the rear O2 input deleted, but KEEP the physical hardware connected. With the code turned off in the tune, there's no way for an inspection to tell that that's the case. All hardware looks to be in place.
The evap system test fails if you have the rear O2 deleted. I have my O2 sensor in my secondary O2 slot in the JDL header.

Some tuners leave the secondary O2 turned on because they're able to keep it from triggering even catless, but in some cases like with my car, I threw the code a couple times and we finally just deleted it.

I instantly failed my inspection last time due to the evap system when I tried to go without reflashing back to a stock tune. Now I just flash in the parking lot, get inspected, flash back to my tune and go!
Old 05-12-2015, 11:05 AM   #6
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016 Camaro SS View Post
The evap system test fails if you have the rear O2 deleted. I have my O2 sensor in my secondary O2 slot in the JDL header.

Some tuners leave the secondary O2 turned on because they're able to keep it from triggering even catless, but in some cases like with my car, I threw the code a couple times and we finally just deleted it.

I instantly failed my inspection last time due to the evap system when I tried to go without reflashing back to a stock tune. Now I just flash in the parking lot, get inspected, flash back to my tune and go!
Not sure how evap fails if the code for rear O2 efficiency is missing. My tuner left the code on at first, and it took a good long while till the code threw & after clearing it, it took a good while longer till it threw again, but I just deleted it anyway.

Thankfully my car is MI registered, not CA. Though I'm pretty certain a sniffer won't register out-of-bounds emissions. I had my NP fp/op fitted with a hi-flow cat, not "no cat", and the car is tuned for power (so a bit leaner than stock tune), so its more efficient than stock.

And yeah, visual inspection probably won't catch it, as I'm only catless at the header, not the FP.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:39 AM   #7
2016 Camaro SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
Not sure how evap fails if the code for rear O2 efficiency is missing. My tuner left the code on at first, and it took a good long while till the code threw & after clearing it, it took a good while longer till it threw again, but I just deleted it anyway.

Thankfully my car is MI registered, not CA. Though I'm pretty certain a sniffer won't register out-of-bounds emissions. I had my NP fp/op fitted with a hi-flow cat, not "no cat", and the car is tuned for power (so a bit leaner than stock tune), so its more efficient than stock.

And yeah, visual inspection probably won't catch it, as I'm only catless at the header, not the FP.
Yeah, it's odd. We don't have the sniffer in the county I'm in thankfully, but some of the surrounding ones do. I know I can pass with the one cat in the FP which is the whole reason I kept that cat.

It's pretty crazy when you put the stock rom back on and drive with your mods. I forgot how slow and less noisy that tune is, lol.