follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 04-03-2019, 10:12 AM   #1
kothetimeless

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
2017+ BRZ Fog Light Bezel Solution - Hinders Stability?

Hi all..

So I searched the web and didn't find anyone with this topic...

Problem:

A) I fell in love with the 2018 tS fog light bezels but then realized their not a mesh but a flat piece of plastic with a grille/mesh design on them.

B) I wanted to retain my stock fog lights

Solution:

I cut out the "back" of each stock fog light bezel and added a grill mesh to each, also plasti-dipping the bezels and front bumper insert black. Grille also added behind center bumper insert to match around.

(Side note: I also used some yellow tint and tinted my fog lights)
(Side Side note: I thought the entire foglight illuminates but nope, just the middle section that is exposed by the stock bezel)

Problem/Question:
I feel the car turns different... may I have opened more airflow through the bumper to the wheels that may hinder my stability? It definitely feels a hair less stable.

I figured this is the reason why the tS version, which should be more performance heavy, would not have grille meshes but instead the flat plastic piece in the fog light bezel to block air from entering the bumper in front of the wheels.

Possible next steps:
-Add a splitter to divert more air for more downward pressure?
-Just buy the tS bezels and delete/replace Fogs

Name:  Full Bumper.jpg
Views: 2856
Size:  521.9 KB

Name:  Driver Side Fogs.jpg
Views: 1993
Size:  683.6 KB

Name:  Passenger Side Fogs.jpg
Views: 1728
Size:  684.5 KB
kothetimeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:15 AM   #2
kothetimeless

Garage
Second thought:

Maybe its not the air going through, but since now they are like "cups" in the bumper, there is air turbulence in those areas which may cause what I'm feeling.
2011 987.2 Base 6MT
Old 04-03-2019, 10:16 AM   #3
qcbaker
Shitpost Generator v8.6

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I seriously doubt such a small change in the car's aero would result in noticeable instability unless you're driving the absolute piss out of the car at a track.

Looks cool though!
qcbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qcbaker For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (04-03-2019), kothetimeless (04-03-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 10:47 AM   #4
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Too small of a aero change to feel by unprecise butt dino. Either you every day drive 200kmh on autobahn for there to be any difference, or it's placebo imagined feel of expected change, or it's something else wrong that was done during process of this mod, or changed with time. For example .. have you changed tires or have grip/tire pressure changed due different season/weather/temps since you did mod, was there even more stuff changed, eg. forgot to bolt back underbody panels, maybe you since then have installed other parts or did different alignment of car but mistakenly attribute their changes to this mod, maybe some trackdays happened since mod and you have noticeably worn tires, maybe you have hit kerb and something got bent or alignment got out of whack, and so on ..
BTW, if you haven't cut/opened also further downstream, then shouldn't that airflow stop at wheel arch liner anyway, without throughout flow, and thus shouldn't there be no impact on aero at all? (if air doesn't freely flow through, just stops further downstream, such dead air pocket is like some air pillow in front, with not much change to drag or downforce)
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
kothetimeless (04-03-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 10:58 AM   #5
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Fix the problem with the fogs instead of adding a lip/splitter to mask the issue. The grille looks even if your creating a bit of a parachute.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiske For This Useful Post:
kothetimeless (04-03-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 11:06 AM   #6
kothetimeless

Garage
Thanks for the insight all...

Seems it might just be placebo and in my mind. Nothing else out of the ordinary was changed, I replaced the intake hose a few weeks ago and deleted the cabin noise generator and desnorked the oem intake (w/k&n airfilter) a bit. but that just made things a hair louder ha.

I'll keep going with this and then its off to exhaust and suspension!
2011 987.2 Base 6MT
The Following User Says Thank You to kothetimeless For This Useful Post:
qcbaker (04-03-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 11:34 AM   #7
Gunman

Drives: 2019 Mazda Miata RF
Thanked 1,317 Times in 736 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Garage
Tape up the screens, and go for a drive, see if anything changes.
Gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gunman For This Useful Post:
kothetimeless (04-04-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 12:25 PM   #8
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
"I replaced the intake hose a few weeks ago and deleted the cabin noise generator and desnorked the oem intake (w/k&n airfilter) a bit. but that just made things a hair louder ha."
- My theory is that due these changes for sound/loudness, your right foot got "heavier" to hear better those changes or enjoy engine sounds more .. more gas/more rpms/lower gears at same roads driven more sedately before, here - your lower traction . At least this sounds much more possible then very slight aero change with too little if any impact. It's same as with installing some catback .. for aural pleasure one subconsciously pushes car more, thus eg. fuel economy may drop, even if that exhaust part is more efficient/less restrictive
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
kothetimeless (04-05-2019)
Old 04-04-2019, 04:54 PM   #9
kothetimeless

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
"I replaced the intake hose a few weeks ago and deleted the cabin noise generator and desnorked the oem intake (w/k&n airfilter) a bit. but that just made things a hair louder ha."
- My theory is that due these changes for sound/loudness, your right foot got "heavier" to hear better those changes or enjoy engine sounds more .. more gas/more rpms/lower gears at same roads driven more sedately before, here - your lower traction . At least this sounds much more possible then very slight aero change with too little if any impact. It's same as with installing some catback .. for aural pleasure one subconsciously pushes car more, thus eg. fuel economy may drop, even if that exhaust part is more efficient/less restrictive
I think we have a winner haha!! I have noticed my "avg MPG" dropping a bit since the installs
2011 987.2 Base 6MT