follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-12-2014, 01:44 AM   #2339
DragonDriver5

Drives: 2014 FRS, 77 Celica, 88 Supra Turbo
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So after driving the car for a couple months I have very few complaints, but there are a few minor ones.

Lack of seat adjustments - Maybe I just got spoiled in my other cars, but it's pretty basic. My Supra seats are 8 way adjustable and these are like 3. Fortunately the FRS seats are pretty cozy but some lumbar and headrest settings would be nice.

Cup holders - Why are they so far back?!!!! The door ones are ok, but don't hold every type of container. Grrr

Power window switches. Touchy as hell. It's all or nothing. Maybe I don't want my window to go down all the way...? Super sensitive!

All my issues are pretty minor. Love the car!
DragonDriver5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:23 AM   #2340
Bailey

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I don't like how my door has to be in the exact, perfect spot when I have it opened to actually stay open. If I don't get it just right, it'll close while I'm trying to crawl my huge body out of the car. lol

I don't like the stock taillights at all. I plan to switch those out soon though.

I don't like the differing orange/red-orange/red colors of the interior lighting. The red of the gauge cluster throughout would be nice.

There are also days that I wish I would've gotten a different color other than black, but that has nothing to do with the car itself and everything to do with me not having a garage to keep it in.

I don't hate anything yet (only had it for about a month), but these are the only things that come to mind that are annoying.
Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:26 AM   #2341
PITTFRS

Drives: 2013 FR-S Hot Lava
I don't hate anything about the car, but I think the stock shift knob is cheap looking. I also don't like the tail lights. (More because they fill up with water than the look).

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
PITTFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:42 AM   #2342
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
So for those of you who were following, I said I was going to do an experiment on Friday on my way home from work--which I did. I had my phone plugged in and sitting on my passenger seat, switched into airplane mode. Left it there for about a minute, no chime. I then deactivated airplane mode and replaced the phone on the seat, still plugged in. Not 5 seconds later, bingo! Seatbelt chime.

So moral of the story is that you can turn your phone onto airplane mode and happily let it charge on your seat (which, frankly, is safest, right?), or maybe buy a car mount, put it in the center console, anywhere but the seat.

As far as angling the charging end away from the seat bottom, its probably because the antennas on most phones are near the mouthpiece. It would work, but it would probably just end up falling over often.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It has priests in it?
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:47 AM   #2343
J_kennington

Drives: 2013 asphalt scion FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterGreene View Post
So for those of you who were following, I said I was going to do an experiment on Friday on my way home from work--which I did. I had my phone plugged in and sitting on my passenger seat, switched into airplane mode. Left it there for about a minute, no chime. I then deactivated airplane mode and replaced the phone on the seat, still plugged in. Not 5 seconds later, bingo! Seatbelt chime.

So moral of the story is that you can turn your phone onto airplane mode and happily let it charge on your seat (which, frankly, is safest, right?), or maybe buy a car mount, put it in the center console, anywhere but the seat.

As far as angling the charging end away from the seat bottom, its probably because the antennas on most phones are near the mouthpiece. It would work, but it would probably just end up falling over often.
Or just have someone with techstream disable the beeper for the pass seat. Dealer may even do this as it's not the drivers. I've disabled both beepers on 3 seperate cars now. So much nicer to be able to put anything in the seat.

The MAIN reason for the disabling the pass seat buzzer was my pit bull doesn't like wearing seat belts. She has a tendacy of trying to eat them when they have her buckled in lol
2005 Yamaha yz250f
J_kennington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:53 AM   #2344
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_kennington View Post
Or just have someone with techstream disable the beeper for the pass seat. Dealer may even do this as it's not the drivers. I've disabled both beepers on 3 seperate cars now. So much nicer to be able to put anything in the seat.

The MAIN reason for the disabling the pass seat buzzer was my pit bull doesn't like wearing seat belts. She has a tendacy of trying to eat them when they have her buckled in lol
Aside from my opinion on having a large-ish dog in the front seat unrestrained, yes, having the beeper de-activated would work too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It has priests in it?
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:01 AM   #2345
smbrm

Drives: Scion FRS Ht Lva(AT)
Gear readout

It would be really nice on the automatic transmission version, to have a sub display of the actual gear the transmission is using when the gear selector is in D.
smbrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:01 AM   #2346
J_kennington

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterGreene View Post
Aside from my opinion on having a large-ish dog in the front seat unrestrained, yes, having the beeper de-activated would work too
But, she's not a large dog . She's actually a pit/jack Russell. Looks like a pit but about half the size of one. The downside is, she can't see over the dash in either of my cars. So she sits straight up to try and see.
2005 Yamaha yz250f
Old 05-12-2014, 10:10 AM   #2347
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbrm View Post
It would be really nice on the automatic transmission version, to have a sub display of the actual gear the transmission is using when the gear selector is in D.
I agree with this! Of course, it does switch to displaying the gears if you up/down shift while in D, which is nice so 99% of the time I would want the information I'm downshifting anyway so it appears, and stays that way.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:11 AM   #2348
Skurge

Drives: 84 RX-7/13' FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_kennington View Post
But, she's not a large dog . She's actually a pit/jack Russell. Looks like a pit but about half the size of one. The downside is, she can't see over the dash in either of my cars. So she sits straight up to try and see.

that is exactly what mine does haha, though she hasn't been in the FRs yet, she look hilarious riding in the s2000....same kind of dog too
The Following User Says Thank You to Skurge For This Useful Post:
J_kennington (05-12-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 10:13 AM   #2349
Alabang 86

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Zero illumination in the back seat, night, door open, cellphone somewhere under the seat. My 72 Buick skylark conv. did it better

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2014, 10:15 AM   #2350
oldpueblo

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 #853
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbrm View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I agree with this! Of course, it does switch to displaying the gears if you up/down shift while in D, which is nice so 99% of the time I would want the information I'm downshifting anyway so it appears, and stays that way.
I've been meaning to do this, but haven't gotten around to it. This might do what we want.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB9dcC9dl3w"]Scion FR-S: How to set the Shift Light & Gear Indicator Display Settings (BRZ GT86) - YouTube[/ame]

Might be manual only, I don't know.
oldpueblo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldpueblo For This Useful Post:
chas3wba0 (05-12-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 10:26 AM   #2351
J_kennington

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skurge View Post
that is exactly what mine does haha, though she hasn't been in the FRs yet, she look hilarious riding in the s2000....same kind of dog too
Omg, I thought I was the only one with a "mini pit" lol. In my eclipse, she will sit on the VERY edge of the seat and stretch her back/neck as far as she can to see. The bad thing is if I have a rough shift, she'll "fall" back into the seat and have to reposition her again lol.
2005 Yamaha yz250f
Old 05-12-2014, 10:28 AM   #2352
J_kennington

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpueblo View Post
I've been meaning to do this, but haven't gotten around to it. This might do what we want.

Might be manual only, I don't know.
That's only for the manual. The auto will only tell you what gear it's in using manual mode. Or as previously stated, if you manually shift using the paddles in full auto
2005 Yamaha yz250f

Tags
ha ha!, hate, playerhatersball, potatopants