follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 01-02-2020, 01:33 PM   #141
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3rdSun View Post
But I'm not rich,and I'm guessing most people on this forum aren't either,or at least wealthy enough to purchase that Ferrari.

So in the spirit of the OP's question,I stand by my first answer.
@86MLR said it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
I love listening to people who talk about "if they were rich", their issue is their brain isn't calibrated to think "rich" and they turn their idea of rich into being able to buy a car that they covet but is expensive in their "current" financial situation.
The only thing that was rich in your original comment was the Ferrari La Ferrari, but even then you said if you were lucky... bruh, think richer..
Old 01-02-2020, 06:08 PM   #142
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stomachbuzz View Post
There is far more to suspension than dampers.

Most of the differences in suspension between the FRS and a MB GT, 911, or similar cannot be modified.
I mostly disagree, primarily because what's possible is only limited by how much coin one is willing to throw at the problem although I agree I oversimplified by saying just dampers when springs, suspension stroke, geometry, seats, bushings and rollbars all play major roles in ride quality and handling performance but there is no aspect of our suspension that couldn't be modified to provide an equivalent ride and handling experience relative to those cars, for anyone who wanted to drop the coin to make it happen.

For reference, there are even a few 86 chassis cars that have had the front suspension converted to double wishbone like the HKS time attack car that set the lap record at Tsukuba last year, all while retaining the FA20.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:13 PM   #143
Stomachbuzz

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxis View Post
I mostly disagree, primarily because what's possible is only limited by how much coin one is willing to throw at the problem although I agree I oversimplified by saying just dampers when springs, suspension stroke, geometry, seats, bushings and rollbars all play major roles in ride quality and handling performance but there is no aspect of our suspension that couldn't be modified to provide an equivalent ride and handling experience relative to those cars, for anyone who wanted to drop the coin to make it happen.

For reference, there are even a few 86 chassis cars that have had the front suspension converted to double wishbone like the HKS time attack car that set the lap record at Tsukuba last year, all while retaining the FA20.
I'll make it as blunt as possible:

a 1960s Jeep will never handle as well as a 2019 Porsche 911.
Stomachbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stomachbuzz For This Useful Post:
jbsali (01-03-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 01:50 PM   #144
Th3rdSun

Drives: 2013 FR-S MT Hot Lava
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
@86MLR said it right.

The only thing that was rich in your original comment was the Ferrari La Ferrari, but even then you said if you were lucky... bruh, think richer..
You do know that even most "rich" people can't even get a LaFerrari,don't you?

I even mention the same car you did in an LF-A,so I guess you aren't thinking "rich" either,huh?

One of my all time favorite cars is the McLaren F1. If I had $100 mil. I wouldn't buy one.Not because of how much they cost,but because of the cost of ownership. I'd go through half of my money in 10 years of just owning that car,so it wouldn't be worth it in the long run.

Last edited by Th3rdSun; 01-03-2020 at 02:03 PM.
Th3rdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 02:26 PM   #145
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3rdSun View Post
You do know that even most "rich" people can't even get a LaFerrari,don't you?

I even mention the same car you did in an LF-A,so I guess you aren't thinking "rich" either,huh?

One of my all time favorite cars is the McLaren F1. If I had $100 mil. I wouldn't buy one.Not because of how much they cost,but because of the cost of ownership. I'd go through half of my money in 10 years of just owning that car,so it wouldn't be worth it in the long run.
Okay.

Winter driving an STi ain't a rich people move, if you can remember that's what I brought up. And I would bet you my third testicle that no one would be winter driving a Rally spec'd/purpose built STi.
Old 01-03-2020, 03:45 PM   #146
guitarman

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Okay.

Winter driving an STi ain't a rich people move, if you can remember that's what I brought up. And I would bet you my third testicle that no one would be winter driving a Rally spec'd/purpose built STi.
OK. Here's a "rich people move" : I'd buy me a big 'ol Hummer (or maybe go all out on a tank) so that if I was ever involved in an accident I'd come out of it scratch-free ---need to stick around to spend my millions!

Also, I would buy/install my own personal go-cart track that goes all around my estate! :-)

guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guitarman For This Useful Post:
Jordanwolf (01-03-2020), p1l0t (01-03-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 04:01 PM   #147
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post
OK. Here's a "rich people move" : I'd buy me a big 'ol Hummer (or maybe go all out on a tank) so that if I was ever involved in an accident I'd come out of it scratch-free ---need to stick around to spend my millions!

Also, I would buy/install my own personal go-cart track that goes all around my estate! :-)

Yeah I would get pretty conservative having a lot of money I think.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 04:18 PM   #148
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,937 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Around this topic, just saw an interesting article on Jay Leno and how he has never spent any of the money he made on the Tonight Show.

Basically, his entire life he has had two jobs, and would live off the lower of the two and bank the other.

When he started, he worked at a car dealership, and did stand-up. He lived off the stand-up money and banked the dealership money until the stand-up/comedy money exceeded the dealership. He then lived off the dealership money and banked the stand-up money.

Once he ended up on the Tonight Show, he continued to do Stand-up (100 nights a year), and banked the Tonight Show money. He now does Jay Leno's Garage, and Tours living off whichever produces the lesser income.

Wish I had thought of that 40 years ago...

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (01-03-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 06:10 PM   #149
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post

Now you know how to live.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:43 PM   #150
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Around this topic, just saw an interesting article on Jay Leno and how he has never spent any of the money he made on the Tonight Show.

Basically, his entire life he has had two jobs, and would live off the lower of the two and bank the other.

When he started, he worked at a car dealership, and did stand-up. He lived off the stand-up money and banked the dealership money until the stand-up/comedy money exceeded the dealership. He then lived off the dealership money and banked the stand-up money.

Once he ended up on the Tonight Show, he continued to do Stand-up (100 nights a year), and banked the Tonight Show money. He now does Jay Leno's Garage, and Tours living off whichever produces the lesser income.

Wish I had thought of that 40 years ago...
wish i made enough to consider it in the first place.
Dadhawk (01-03-2020), Lynxis (01-06-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 07:49 PM   #151
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,937 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
wish i made enough to consider it in the first place.
The point is though he did this before he "had money" and just carried it forward. Its the same thing I tell my kids to do with their 401K. Start off on your first job contributing 15%, then you'll never notice you are doing it, and one day that pile of money is bigger than what you are earning.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 07:57 PM   #152
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Okay.

Meh Jeremy Clarkson is filthy rich and is known for driving a VW GTI around. Mark Zuckerberg also has a VW GTI and an Acura TSX. Warren Buffet has a Cadillac XTS. Jeff Bezos has a Honda Accord.

Point is if you're rich, you're going to drive whatever the hell you want to drive. There's no rich people rule that's going to apply to all rich people. If someone says if they were rich, theyd drive a rally spec STI, who's to say they're wrong ...

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-04-2020), Th3rdSun (01-06-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 08:54 PM   #153
Sergeb96

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Premium MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Meh Jeremy Clarkson is filthy rich and is known for driving a VW GTI around. Mark Zuckerberg also has a VW GTI and an Acura TSX. Warren Buffet has a Cadillac XTS. Jeff Bezos has a Honda Accord.

Point is if you're rich, you're going to drive whatever the hell you want to drive. There's no rich people rule that's going to apply to all rich people. If someone says if they were rich, theyd drive a rally spec STI, who's to say they're wrong ...

Those are just strange rich people. Most go all out since money won’t be needed once you’re dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sergeb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 08:55 PM   #154
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Money doesn't change who you are, it's an enabler, it accentuates who you are.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-04-2020), soundman98 (01-03-2020), Th3rdSun (01-06-2020)