follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 08-01-2017, 11:42 AM   #15
Kayysonie
Badass Member

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by avishenoy1 View Post
My current setup is TRD Sensor plate, Racerx stacking plate, Racerx Thermostatic oil cooler sandwich plate, Oil filter.

Yes it does clear the hood.

You will not get a good oil pressure reading at any of these locations as it is higher than the engine block and you get increased pressure drop as you increase stack height.

Be aware that as temperatures increase, pressure will decrease and flow to the cooler/filter will be reduced. This is really only a concern at high temps (250°F+) so make sure you have adequate flow to the cooler to maintain oil viscosity and pressure and make sure you have enough oil.

Thanks! Do you have pictures?

Your TRD Sensor plate would be the first one on the stack right?

I dont plan to add the pressure sender in the sandwich plate. Just temperature so I have a different method of monitoring.

I do just realize now that I need to make sure I am reading temperature before it goes to the cooler. Or I will probably read higher temp when it is really 10 to 20C cooler going back to the engine.
Kayysonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:45 AM   #16
avishenoy1

Drives: 2015 FR-S Release Series 1.0
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayysonie View Post
Thanks! Do you have pictures?

Your TRD Sensor plate would be the first one on the stack right?

I dont plan to add the pressure sender in the sandwich plate. Just temperature so I have a different method of monitoring.

I do just realize now that I need to make sure I am reading temperature before it goes to the cooler. Or I will probably read higher temp when it is really 10 to 20C cooler going back to the engine.
Added pic to original post
avishenoy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:03 PM   #17
Kayysonie
Badass Member

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ Limited
Quote:
Added pic to original post
Thanks.

I just realized now too, instead of adding a 2nd sandwich plate, I can replace the one on the bottom with the TRD. It works.
Kayysonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:47 PM   #18
avishenoy1

Drives: 2015 FR-S Release Series 1.0
Quote:
Thanks.

I just realized now too, instead of adding a 2nd sandwich plate, I can replace the one on the bottom with the TRD. It works.
Yeah, the TRD provides sufficient clearance for a sandwich plate without the need for the stacking plate. I left it on cause I didn't want to buy a whole new plate and new fittings, and also the extra height gives better clearance for the hoses with the Vortech airbox.
avishenoy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:47 PM   #19
Trust86

Drives: 2016 Halo FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinS View Post
Remove the Dummy Oil Pressure switch from the front cover and put your oil temp sensor there. The sensor turns the light in the gauge cluster on at 0 psi. Engine is dead at that point anyway. You also have an aftermarket oil pressure gauge to monitor.
This is how mine is setup as well, with 1/8 p/t defi sensor
Trust86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:51 PM   #20
Trust86

Drives: 2016 Halo FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchan View Post
I shoved my oil temperature sensor at the oil galley plug at the top of the engine block, and put an oil pressure sensor at the stock dummy one (and removed the stock one). I would like to swap their locations, but I couldn't find an adaptor that the oil temperature sensor fits through for the stock oil pressure sensor location.

It's not the most accurate measurement for the temperature (apparently), but I've compared OBD2 and my aftermarket one, and at the high end (~250F), they both read pretty close.
That oil galley location reads quite a bit cooler. Install temp sensor at sandwich plate for more accurate reading, it will be the same as what the OBD2 reads. Also you don't want the oil pressure sensor in that oil galley, pressure reads low there.
Trust86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:38 PM   #21
dchan

Drives: DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust86 View Post
That oil galley location reads quite a bit cooler. Install temp sensor at sandwich plate for more accurate reading, it will be the same as what the OBD2 reads. Also you don't want the oil pressure sensor in that oil galley, pressure reads low there.
That's what I thought as well, but on track, I've had my sensor read 245F+, but OBD2 was ~240F. Since I don't want to see anything higher than that, and that it's close enough at 240-250F, I've decided to just leave it. I don't think I have a need for anything more precise (at the moment).

I have no idea how accurate it is below that. I'm guessing within 10F? My roommate stuck his inside the oil drain pan, which I think is supposed to be the most accurate of doing it?
dchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:59 AM   #22
Brzerker

Drives: World Rally Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks.

Quote:
Yeah, the TRD provides sufficient clearance for a sandwich plate without the need for the stacking plate. I left it on cause I didn't want to buy a whole new plate and new fittings, and also the extra height gives better clearance for the hoses with the Vortech airbox.
Just to clarify, can I install the oil cooler hardware on top of the TRD sandwich plate with the included pass-thru screw adaptor? Or do I need a modified one?

Am currently using the Perrin oil cooler.