follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 11-14-2022, 07:08 AM   #15
robbah

Drives: GTS 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
Robbah, you heard it here first. Forget the $10 meter, forget the $5 test light. You need $800 of computer diagnostics software first, otherwise just junk the car.
Thankyou for trying to help me sort out this problem, as I've mentioned above I will just take it into a shop because I feel like my experience isn't at a high enough level at the moment to tackle this problem, I see where RZNT4R is coming from trying to set me up for future problems and I appreciate his and your knowledge on the problem, I didn't mean for you guys to argue over this, I hope everyone who commented has a wonderful day and I'm very thankful for the input you've given me! Sorry I could not use everyone's advice to solve the problem myself, but I will continue to work on developing m skills and hopefully return the favour to other owners down the line!

I will come back to this thread and post an update on what the mechanic found wrong in my car incase someone happens to stumble upon my thread and their problems match mine.
robbah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robbah For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (11-14-2022)
Old 11-14-2022, 12:37 PM   #16
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by x808drifter View Post
3/4 of the people out there I wouldn't even let them touch a computer.
Regardless of age.
Ok, yeah. But the same goes for DIY system troubleshooting, or even old-school automotive work.

Props to OP for recognizing limits and heeding advice.
Old 11-15-2022, 04:20 AM   #17
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Ok, yeah. But the same goes for DIY system troubleshooting, or even old-school automotive work.

Props to OP for recognizing limits and heeding advice.
Problem is 3/4 of the people mentioned wouldn't heed advice and try to fix it on their own before taking it in.

Also definitely props for listening.
But also the fact that that is said proves my point.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to x808drifter For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-15-2022), Ultramaroon (11-15-2022)
Old 11-15-2022, 01:29 PM   #18
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by x808drifter View Post
Problem is 3/4 of the people mentioned wouldn't heed advice and try to fix it on their own before taking it in.

Also definitely props for listening.
But also the fact that that is said proves my point.
True! OP's response is the refreshing exception.
Old 11-16-2022, 06:48 PM   #19
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbah View Post
Thankyou for trying to help me sort out this problem, as I've mentioned above I will just take it into a shop because I feel like my experience isn't at a high enough level at the moment to tackle this problem, I see where RZNT4R is coming from trying to set me up for future problems and I appreciate his and your knowledge on the problem, I didn't mean for you guys to argue over this, I hope everyone who commented has a wonderful day and I'm very thankful for the input you've given me! Sorry I could not use everyone's advice to solve the problem myself, but I will continue to work on developing m skills and hopefully return the favour to other owners down the line!

I will come back to this thread and post an update on what the mechanic found wrong in my car incase someone happens to stumble upon my thread and their problems match mine.
I hope I didn't come off as trying to dissuade you. While I fix cars for a living, I don't want to be a gatekeeper of knowledge and I try to give advice to do things right the 1st time and sometimes I bet I can come off as an ... ass?

Keep in mind, cars are made by people are a fixed by people and since you probably are a people, you can probably fix cars. There's a TIS rip (of just the shop manual part) and that'll be your starting point for most things. Bookmark it, save it, print it and store it in a binder, just never be without it! Most things will have steps, and if you have a head at the top of your body and you follow those steps, you'll get to your problem eventually in the vast majority of cases. You'll probably need some tools along the way, but eventually you'll be fine.

My last comment is because my only issue is, and promise me this, if you start trying to fix something, don't give up halfway and bring a half discombobulated mess to the poor mechanic who'll have to sort it out It's best to scope out a job and decide if you should tackle it before touching too many things, basic checks are fine but keep in mind when you're the second guy hitting an issue, sorting out the real problem from what the previous guy did can be a headache, and will add to the diag time in the end. I see a lot of dealer inventory used cars and I'm often the 2nd or 3rd guy hitting those things and man, it gets rough.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RZNT4R For This Useful Post:
bcj (11-17-2022), soundman98 (11-16-2022), Ultramaroon (11-18-2022), x808drifter (11-17-2022)