follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 10-09-2022, 03:56 PM   #1
Kromey

Drives: 2018 WRB Subaru BRZ tS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Need Recommendations for 1st-Gen Brembo PP Compatible Aftermarket Rotors and Pads

Due to a vibration in my brake pedal and decreased stopping capability, I think I have warped a rotor on my OEM brembo rotors/pads. Replaced braking fluid with Motul RBF600 and problem still present. Pistons not stuck.

I'm looking for affordable aftermarket pads and rotors for HPDE use compatible with the OEM brembo performance package front and rear calipers.

My favorite solution I've found so far is the PowerStop Z26 Street Warrior Brake Upgrade Kit because of its affordability and seemingly good performance, but, due to photos of the product, I doubt it is designed for the performance package brakes.

https://www.powerstop.com/product/po...ront%20Caliper

It seems difficult to find affordable rotors and pads meant for HPDE use and the PP OEM Brembo brakes.

Any parts recommended for this purpose or feedback on if the above PowerStop kit is indeed compatible would be greatly appreciated.
Kromey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 05:06 PM   #2
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Problem is not the rotors. It's the brake pads.

Upgrade to real track pads. OEM pads are insufficient for HPDE. Most products marketed as dual-duty street&track or "hybrid" will also not be ideal.

It's very rare to warp a rotor. You most likely melted/deposited brake pad material in uneven patches onto the rotor from overheating the pads. When those patches come around to the pad again, you feel it as a pulsation https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/18...ed-rotor-myth/

Get track pads. Daily the track pads for a bit and allow them to sand off the old transfer layer. If you're impatient, take the rotors to a shop and have them resurfaced. Then, bed the track pads in. That should solve both poor braking performance and "warped" sensation

---

As far as rotors, OEM rotors that come on the car are genuine Brembo supplied rotors. They are good quality and many people have tracked on them without issue. They're just expensive to replace with new OEM or Brembo rotors.

Often people go with Centric aftermarket rotors for an affordable replacement.

---

Finally, do your homework on pads and rotors. Don't fixate on "all in one" packages. You can mix and match brands without an issue.

Rotors are a non-issue. Any from a reputable brand will be fine.

Focus your research on brake pads that will match your experience level and desired characteristics

Last edited by EndlessAzure; 10-09-2022 at 05:30 PM.
EndlessAzure is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EndlessAzure For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (10-10-2022), ZDan (10-11-2022)
Old 10-10-2022, 03:54 PM   #3
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,452 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Honestly Centric is all you need. I am sure someone has part numbers. Pads are a more personal choice. CSG has a great hybrid pads that can take the abuse of the track and still can be street driven.
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 10:44 PM   #4
Breezio

Drives: 2017 BRZ series.yellow
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
For some reason many online shops don't do well with listing rotors or pads that fit the PP cars when you do a make/model search.

For example. on www.tirerack.com, if you want to find front rotors that fit. Set your vehicle to a 2004 STi. That'll show you all the right size rotors that are drilled in 5x100.
For front and rear pads, I think you can set your vehicle to any STi from 04-14.
Rear rotors are a little trickier unless you know the model number to look for.

The Centric 'High Carbon' rotor that fits the rear is part# 125.47043
For brake pads, you can find a lot of options by looking up the industry standard 'shape' designation.
Front pads are shape D1001
Rear pads are shape D961
Breezio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 12:17 AM   #5
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
@Kromey

I recommend starting here:
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144662
EndlessAzure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 09:16 AM   #6
cmiovino

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP, 2004 WRX
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
This has already been covered, but just set your car to a 2004 STI to look for pads/rotors. The only site I've seen that differentiates between PP and non-PP has been Centric/Stoptech and I guess also TireRack (but they don't have a ton of options there). KNS Brakes is another good site that has the PP option in their dropdown, but don't sell StopTech pads anymore, but carry many others. Basically, you'll have to narrow down what you want, then go look for it.

Your issue is from pad deposit build up on the rotor, not actually warping it. Problem is, your either need to have the rotors machined or possibly use some really heavy track pad on them to get that stuff off. At that point, it's time to just replace them. What you can do to mitigate this in the future is to bed in the pads at the beginning (look this up) and also give them a good stop on the street every now and again if you aren't doing that.

Centric blanks are my go-to and I've had luck with them over the years. I like how they're black coated to prevent rusting and the metal they use is good quality. You don't need fancy rotors. I would not get the kit you have listed simply because they're drilled. Drilling can cause cracking and rotor failure at the track. Slotted does better, but isn't necessary. It does allow some gasses to escape and cleans the pad off, so there are benefits. For one rotor, you're looking at $95 for the KNS/Centric blank rotor vs $130 for a DBA T2 slotted. If you want to splurge, go for it. If you really want to splurge, the T3's are only $10 more for the fronts, so you might want those with T2's in the rear.

Pads are really what matters and this mainly effects feel, friction, life, fade, all that. They make track and street pads, but for the ease of swapping pads in the Brembos, many people get specific track pads for track days and swap in street pads. If not, you're stuck getting a pad that's a bit of hybrid - one that can stop with near zero heat for the street, but also isn't going to fade on the track. If you're doing lighter to medium track days, this can work.

The Ferodo DS2500 is a commonly used pad for us autocrossers. Expensive though. Works on the track too and is good for street/autox use. I personally like the StopTech 309's for street/autox, and lighter track use. I've heard people really putting them through their paces on track and they seem to hold up too. Price is nearly half the cost of the DS2500's. I wasn't a fan of any Hawk pads, but others like them. Any track specific pads, I don't have a ton of experience with.

Depends how many track days you're doing. If it's one here and there and just for fun, the Brembos can dissipate heat well with their size, so a good street pad will get the job done. If you're going monthly or more, I'd spring for swapping pads at the event personally since you might be swapping wheels anyways.
Old 10-11-2022, 09:37 AM   #7
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,883 Times in 2,027 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Ditto the above^^^

CSG pads are *great* for track duty. I'm on Spec C2 front and rears with Brembos. Pricey but actually very good in terms of track days/$$. I get ~15+ track days out of C2 fronts and a lot more from the rears :O Check with CSG for figuring out which of their compounds might be best for you. IMO C2 are quite "streetable", cold bite is good but of course there is some noise... Dust remarkably not a big prob.

FWIW I picked up GiroDisc front rotors a couple of years back. Look awesome and 6 lb. lighter each! But $$$$... Centric or OEM would be fine.

Your issues are *definitely* not related to brake fluid! IMO Motul660 is way overkill. I have no issues running name-brand off-the-shelf parts store DOT4 or DOT5.1, and in my experience this lasts longer vs. specialized "racing" brake fluids (maybe less moisture absorption over time). I typically run ~12 track days a year, full flush with fresh DOT4/5.1 at beginning of the year and a caliper bleed mid-year and I'm good...

Last edited by ZDan; 10-11-2022 at 09:49 AM.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 01:38 PM   #8
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
CSG has rotors in stock for your PP Brembos. Try slotted to increase bite (slightly hurts pad life).

Depending on your experience and modifications, the pad recommendation will vary.

Are you okay with noise and dust?

Powerstop pads are just a small step above the OEM pads. You won't get a significant upgrade in capacity or life with them, especially with track use. They're a great value for street use only.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aftermarket, brakes, brembo, package, performance