follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 07-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #1
PradiG

Drives: Fr-s
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Samsung galaxy S4 Vs. HTC ONE.

Help convince me on one of them please! I have an opportunity to sell my iPhone 5 and get one of the two. Thanks
PradiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:50 PM   #2
Luis_GT
Banned

Drives: 2002 BMW 530i, 10 Series FR-S
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,754 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
They both have their ups and down... I have the S4 and I love it...

Replaceable battery and memory expansion slot are a plus over the HTC one
Luis_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Luis_GT For This Useful Post:
PradiG (07-10-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
Dalers08

Drives: 2001 Audi A4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just got the S4, had the S3. It's awesome, if you're going from an Iphone to an S4 you should love it.
Dalers08 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dalers08 For This Useful Post:
PradiG (07-10-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 10:47 PM   #4
PradiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalers08 View Post
Just got the S4, had the S3. It's awesome, if you're going from an Iphone to an S4 you should love it.
I've had an iPhone since the 3G, I like them but they've been getting boring and there aren't many advances as I hoped. I have an opportunity to get a new phone from a friend and they'll take my iPhone 5, so I'm just weighing my options and seeing which one is better. A lot of people say S4 though
Old 07-10-2013, 10:52 PM   #5
denkigrve
Random Internet dad

Drives: 2013 FRS and 2010 Mini Cooper
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
The build quality of the one destroys the s4.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:53 PM   #6
PradiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by denkigrve View Post
The build quality of the one destroys the s4.
Very true, but I've heard it's costly and a hassle if the HTC needs to be fixed, whereas the S4, you can just pop off the back cover and replace whatever.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:57 PM   #7
denkigrve
Random Internet dad

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PradiG View Post
Very true, but I've heard it's costly and a hassle if the HTC needs to be fixed, whereas the S4, you can just pop off the back cover and replace whatever.
Except now that you've taken it apart and messed with the antenna layout all of the calibrations are off and your phone is not quite what it once was. Plus the phone no longer feels as solid as it once did. The downside to the plastics Samsung uses.

I'd personally stick with the iPhone since if something breaks, Apple either fixes it or swaps the device. You won't get the same type of support from Samsung or HTC.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:04 PM   #8
kALMIGHTY
Banned

Drives: TRD Ultramarine '13
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Except now that you've taken it apart and messed with the antenna layout all of the calibrations are off and your phone is not quite what it once was. Plus the phone no longer feels as solid as it once did. The downside to the plastics Samsung uses.

I'd personally stick with the iPhone since if something breaks, Apple either fixes it or swaps the device. You won't get the same type of support from Samsung or HTC.
Not true. My friend's iPhone 5 stopped working after getting really hot and Apple refuses to replace it because according to them, the user did something wrong.
I got a white unibody Macbook 3 and a half years ago and on the second day, I woke up and found the body cracked, and it must have been due to a stress in the body because of a manufacturing defect. The back of the screen started to crack as well but Apple said it's my own fault for not taking care of it (I broke it in a day?!). Two years later, they finally acknowledged there were manufacturing defects that caused the unibody macbooks to crack on their own even under light usage conditions, and replaced my entire macbook's body last year. I had a broken laptop for 2 years since the day I got it basically.
Apple might be good in some cases, but they do everything they can to avoid warranty stuff.
Not saying Samsung would be any better, but I'm saying going with Apple DOES NOT have an advantage.
kALMIGHTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:09 PM   #9
Luis_GT
Banned

Drives: 2002 BMW 530i, 10 Series FR-S
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,754 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

I just go to ATT and they swap my phone if its defective... did it multiple times with my iphone 4, and just recently with my S4 when it started to shut down randomly...
Luis_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:12 PM   #10
denkigrve
Random Internet dad

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kALMIGHTY View Post
Not true. My friend's iPhone 5 stopped working after getting really hot and Apple refuses to replace it because according to them, the user did something wrong.
I got a white unibody Macbook 3 and a half years ago and on the second day, I woke up and found the body cracked, and it must have been due to a stress in the body because of a manufacturing defect. The back of the screen started to crack as well but Apple said it's my own fault for not taking care of it (I broke it in a day?!). Two years later, they finally acknowledged there were manufacturing defects that caused the unibody macbooks to crack on their own even under light usage conditions, and replaced my entire macbook's body last year. I had a broken laptop for 2 years since the day I got it basically.
Apple might be good in some cases, but they do everything they can to avoid warranty stuff.
Not saying Samsung would be any better, but I'm saying going with Apple DOES NOT have an advantage.
They don't avoid warranties, there was no indication of issues with the plastic, and it was investigated. Eventually they found the root causes, and took care of you in the end.

As for the phone, what did they say was wrong? Because they don't turn away phones unless someone did mess with it. When you take a phone in they take the phones in the back and inspect for signs of tampering and modifications. Also liquid intrusion. Water + Electronics is a bad thing. They don't just say no for no good reason. My phone was replaced for a bad sleep button. I walked in, showed them, and then they swapped it. New one works great. My buddy's phone had a speaker issue, they tested it, and then swapped it.

Getting service and support for my Nexus has been a nightmare. There is dust under the camera. It's NEVER been opened. It's an obvious manufacturing defect, Google won't replace it. I feel like a chump for buying my Nexus 4 now. I really should have held out for the HTC One, or just stuck with Apple.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:20 PM   #11
kALMIGHTY
Banned

Quote:
They don't avoid warranties, there was no indication of issues with the plastic, and it was investigated. Eventually they found the root causes, and took care of you in the end.

As for the phone, what did they say was wrong? Because they don't turn away phones unless someone did mess with it. When you take a phone in they take the phones in the back and inspect for signs of tampering and modifications. Also liquid intrusion. Water + Electronics is a bad thing. They don't just say no for no good reason. My phone was replaced for a bad sleep button. I walked in, showed them, and then they swapped it. New one works great. My buddy's phone had a speaker issue, they tested it, and then swapped it.

Getting service and support for my Nexus has been a nightmare. There is dust under the camera. It's NEVER been opened. It's an obvious manufacturing defect, Google won't replace it. I feel like a chump for buying my Nexus 4 now. I really should have held out for the HTC One, or just stuck with Apple.
Two years after the fact isn't exactly considered being taken care of.

What happened with my friend's phone is that he forgot it in the car on a hot day and when he came back, it wouldn't work anymore. We assumed it was the heat and Apple said this: "The heat in the car probably caused moisture to get inside the phone and mess with the internals. We don't cover water damage. You can buy a new one if you'd like."

I'm not saying Apple sucks, because I do like their products, like my Macbook, which runs just as fast as day one still, and the other Apple products I've bought work fine still. I've just had bad experiences both directly and indirectly with their customer service unfortunately.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:28 PM   #12
denkigrve
Random Internet dad

Garage
Quote:
Two years after the fact isn't exactly considered being taken care of.

What happened with my friend's phone is that he forgot it in the car on a hot day and when he came back, it wouldn't work anymore. We assumed it was the heat and Apple said this: "The heat in the car probably caused moisture to get inside the phone and mess with the internals. We don't cover water damage. You can buy a new one if you'd like."

I'm not saying Apple sucks, because I do like their products, like my Macbook, which runs just as fast as day one still, and the other Apple products I've bought work fine still. I've just had bad experiences both directly and indirectly with their customer service unfortunately.
So just an FYI, there are liquid contact dots inside of the phone. If they opened the phone and those are red, you're SOL. The only way they get red is if liquid touches them. iFixIt does a good job of showing their locations. We tired to fudge those to get Apple to fix my ex-GFs phone that she dropped in a glass of water and uh... thy knew immediately. lol.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:32 PM   #13
kALMIGHTY
Banned

Quote:
So just an FYI, there are liquid contact dots inside of the phone. If they opened the phone and those are red, you're SOL. The only way they get red is if liquid touches them. iFixIt does a good job of showing their locations. We tired to fudge those to get Apple to fix my ex-GFs phone that she dropped in a glass of water and uh... thy knew immediately. lol.
I know what the water damage indicators are, but the thing is I guess they got triggered by moisture in a hot car.
And that's my point, it's not exactly water damage, but it still counts as that and Apple gets to walk away from it without doing anything to help.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:37 PM   #14
denkigrve
Random Internet dad

Garage
Quote:
I know what the water damage indicators are, but the thing is I guess they got triggered by moisture in a hot car.
And that's my point, it's not exactly water damage, but it still counts as that and Apple gets to walk away from it without doing anything to help.
Think about it from the tech's perspective. All they have to go on is those indicators and any other signs of corrosion on the phone. If they accepted one persons phone with red indicators and not another it creates an issue with consistency, and puts the company in a bad spot.

I do contract failure analysis on electronics and a lot of the companies my company work with have very similar rules. Look for X, if you see X fail. If you don't see X pass. You have to stick to the spec and report back if you notice something looks wrong with the spec, etc.

I can't help but tinker inside of electronics, it's a bit of a hobby of mine. :B #nerd