follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 01-12-2012, 07:03 AM   #1
DommerEOD
I'm a Carcissist

Drives: JERRV , 11 STI, 07 FJ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Where/How did you learn to drift?

Curious of everybody's drifting or even regular racing roots..Did you just learn by doing on the streets? on a track? race school? or even something totally different?

I myself have never ever actually drifted a car on purpose, but only trucks, and that was low to high speed desert stuff. Th occasional throttle happy in wet weather omg-im-going-to-die-semi-controlled-slide has definitely happened but I'm not going to count that.

I'd love to get into the the drift or track scene as a monthly thing but not to sure how to go about it. Guess I'm looking to see how everybody else did it to get an idea.

:happy0180:
DommerEOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:38 AM   #2
GregV

Drives: Kia Stinger GT2
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
There are a lot of localized organizations who hold track (or parking lot) events and have guys who can show you what to do.. www.justdrift.com if you're in the SoCal area.
GregV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:55 AM   #3
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,343 Times in 1,576 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Started with a basic s14 with some bolt ons. Slowly built is as I got more seat time. Finally built the car to where I wanted it and just started to enjoy driving it.

Got some useful tips from a few good friends: Forrest Wang, Justin Pawlak, Mike Burns, Joe Haven, George Marstonovic. All of which are Formula D, XDC drivers.

There are a lot of way to start and get deep in it, or just keep it as a fun, relatively lower cost hobby. A lot of people will end up pointing you in the wrong direction or giving info from what they THINK they know. Feel free to PM me if you have questions. Ive helped a few good friends build up their cars and get them on the track and where to go for certain things.

Im always down to help somebody out.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:10 AM   #4
Enraged21
#RememberTheBuster

Drives: Firestorm FRS MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
Started with a basic s14 with some bolt ons. Slowly built is as I got more seat time. Finally built the car to where I wanted it and just started to enjoy driving it.

Got some useful tips from a few good friends: Forrest Wang, Justin Pawlak, Mike Burns, Joe Haven, George Marstonovic. All of which are Formula D, XDC drivers.

There are a lot of way to start and get deep in it, or just keep it as a fun, relatively lower cost hobby. A lot of people will end up pointing you in the wrong direction or giving info from what they THINK they know. Feel free to PM me if you have questions. Ive helped a few good friends build up their cars and get them on the track and where to go for certain things.

Im always down to help somebody out.
BC Racing or STANCE coilovers to drift with?
Enraged21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:16 AM   #5
OmarGC
My FR-S has 5 gears

Drives: FRS/280z/Tundra
Thanked 1,065 Times in 572 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I've raced karts at an early age, ran autox events as soon as I got my license, started more intense scca and bmw club events after 18, moved to Japan and picked up sliding in my early 20s... Now I only do oassional pdx events because of my son being with me when I do have freetime

2JZ - 6870 - stock block - 1000whp?

Instagram: 2jzus
OmarGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #6
Hardrock4445

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I live in northeast, driving trucks In the snow and eventually worked up to dry pavement.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:34 PM   #7
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,343 Times in 1,576 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enraged21 View Post
BC Racing or STANCE coilovers to drift with?

STANCE. Never cared for BC products and probably never will. For the 1,000-1,500 dollar range, I say Stance is the best product available. I'll stand by that all day any day.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:22 PM   #8
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
The street, but i wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Always go the track. Also majority of places would be mad if you do it at Autocross, but i've never autocrossed.

I don't do it often, hell i haven't done it in while.

I like to drift with momentum and speed, which some would argue is the most dangerous way. A lot people use clutch kicking, sheer power and the handbrake but i believe most handbrakes can't take that abuse and i find clutch kicking a bit hard, can't even do it on my auto FRS.