follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-30-2013, 09:01 PM   #29
ft86me

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian View Post
So, i ocerestimated how big the gap was, but what guy here hasn't been guilty of that before...

There is a 3/4" gap on the nartowest point betwen the vband and the shroud.

But there is 1 3/4" gap between the pipe and fan.

There is also a 6 3/4" between the block and the fan. If the distance is the same on your car then there is 0 fitment issue.
hmmm hard to judge. i think i'll be okay. but what if too close

i'll check it out tomorrow. got a little too busy at work today, but thank you man!!
ft86me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:57 PM   #30
ft86me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian View Post
So, i ocerestimated how big the gap was, but what guy here hasn't been guilty of that before...

There is a 3/4" gap on the nartowest point betwen the vband and the shroud.

But there is 1 3/4" gap between the pipe and fan.

There is also a 6 3/4" between the block and the fan. If the distance is the same on your car then there is 0 fitment issue.
i'm seeingabout 6 1/2 to 6 3/4! Looks like I just might be good!! hopefully I am. I'll find out when I actually do it. fingers crossed, but I'll def take your word for it!
The Following User Says Thank You to ft86me For This Useful Post:
Hawaiian (06-01-2013)
Old 05-31-2013, 11:49 PM   #31
EZWood
BAMF

Drives: 13 fr-s, whiteout, MT. 94 ZJ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have the ap setup, no cats and 3 resonators. I've been told it sounds awesome with no rasp, but it is very loud and from inside the car I have at times felt that I have heard a raspy tone at times.
EZWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:43 AM   #32
Ryan86
Road Warrior

Drives: Toyota 86 Satin Pearl White
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Being in South Africa, everything to ship here is very expensive, so I had to look at headers from a cost point of view.
Opted obviously for the UEL Borla, which is on GB at $589. Arrived 3 weeks ago, which I had checked by our local exhaust shops, whom were impressed. Borla have sorted out there poor quality with the flanges. Granted it may not be the best in the market, but based on price for me I can't fault it.
Fitment perfect with no problems to the OEM overpipe, did not feel the need to waste $300 on a new overpipe.
I have the decatted high performance BRZ exhaust, which is 63mm, which I think is 3" pipe.
So that means I had no cats or resonators with the Borla Header. After starting up the idle sound was fine, however driving was just too load and hated it. So I raced back to the exhaust shop and had a Magnaflow HPC fitted to the front pipe.
It is now so much better, got the boxer rumble, quiet while cruising, but when you put your foot down on the gas, it sounds like a race car.
From a performance point the header has taken the dip completely away and gained nice torque.
I had a dyno done and happy with both gains and sound.

Hope my experience helps on making some decisions.
Ryan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:58 AM   #33
Hawaiian
That guy

Drives: Ultramarine mt FR-S
Thanked 1,389 Times in 730 Posts
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan86 View Post
Being in South Africa, everything to ship here is very expensive, so I had to look at headers from a cost point of view.
Opted obviously for the UEL Borla, which is on GB at $589. Arrived 3 weeks ago, which I had checked by our local exhaust shops, whom were impressed. Borla have sorted out there poor quality with the flanges. Granted it may not be the best in the market, but based on price for me I can't fault it.
Fitment perfect with no problems to the OEM overpipe, did not feel the need to waste $300 on a new overpipe.
I have the decatted high performance BRZ exhaust, which is 63mm, which I think is 3" pipe.
So that means I had no cats or resonators with the Borla Header. After starting up the idle sound was fine, however driving was just too load and hated it. So I raced back to the exhaust shop and had a Magnaflow HPC fitted to the front pipe.
It is now so much better, got the boxer rumble, quiet while cruising, but when you put your foot down on the gas, it sounds like a race car.
From a performance point the header has taken the dip completely away and gained nice torque.
I had a dyno done and happy with both gains and sound.

Hope my experience helps on making some decisions.
Believe it or not the stock overpipe is peretty restrictive. Stick your head down by the back side of your engine some time and take a look. It's squeezed to give it clearance over the frame. An aftermarket overpipe will give your exhaust a deeper richer tone, and another hp bump. For you i'd look into having a local shop build you one. It can't be that expensive, andsaves on shipping.
Jr Tuned 506whp @17psi (e73)
Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hawaiian For This Useful Post:
Ryan86 (06-01-2013)
Old 06-09-2013, 09:51 PM   #34
Batman
Easy, Tiger.

Drives: Tiguan, S4, SBC 350 Wrangler
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft86me View Post
Thanks man! Very good stuff! Video please!!!!
I finally got around to making some videos! Unfortunately, this is the only one that works, and its a little blurry. I have the cold start in there, and once i got it warmed up, i did a warm start with just a little tap on the gas pedal, to show how i have fun haha
I had a bunch of others, including launching with and without launch control, in car on the freeway and in car city driving, with a few very loud afterburn pops in there, but none of the video files will play on my phone or on my computer. SO.. if anyone knows a way to fix/repair mp4 files, PM me and i will get the rest done! i will try to do more when the new exhaust is on as well for you

Last edited by Batman; 06-09-2013 at 11:38 PM. Reason: video url
Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Batman For This Useful Post:
ft86me (06-09-2013)
Old 06-09-2013, 09:54 PM   #35
ft86me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
I finally got around to making some videos! Unfortunately, this is the only one that works, and its a little blurry. I have the cold start in there, and once i got it warmed up, i did a warm start with just a little tap on the gas pedal, to show how i have fun haha
I had a bunch of others, including launching with and without launch control, in car on the freeway and in car city driving, with a few very loud afterburn pops in there, but none of the video files will play on my phone or on my computer. SO.. if anyone knows a way to fix/repair mp4 files, PM me and i will get the rest done! i will try to do more when the new exhaust is on as well for you

good gawd that sounds mean haha
Old 06-09-2013, 10:18 PM   #36
SanDiegoFRS

Drives: 86, Santa Fe, bicycle, sailboat
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
that is very loud. It does sound like a track-only car. Bat emblems are a nice touch. I thought of replacing the scion badge with one upfront once...lol
Old 06-09-2013, 11:34 PM   #37
Batman
Easy, Tiger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoFRS View Post
that is very loud. It does sound like a track-only car. Bat emblems are a nice touch. I thought of replacing the scion badge with one upfront once...lol
haha i had some on front and back when i first bought her, thats why everyone was calling me batman
Old 06-09-2013, 11:38 PM   #38
Batman
Easy, Tiger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft86me View Post
good gawd that sounds mean haha
yeah, its hella loud. I wish the video from driving around in car had worked, it had some afterburn pops that sound like gunshots, that i can't replicate (on purpose, anyway) along with launch control noise, freeway drone etc. The best way to put it, is rally car/track car sound without the turbo and anitlag.

If i could have this sound, all day every day, without a ticket.. i would in a heartbeat haha

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kDKycNbopM"]The Evo Taxi - YouTube[/ame]
ft86me (06-09-2013)
Old 06-09-2013, 11:39 PM   #39
ft86me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
yeah, its hella loud. I wish the video from driving around in car had worked, it had some afterburn pops that sound like gunshots, that i can't replicate (on purpose, anyway) along with launch control noise, freeway drone etc. The best way to put it, is rally car/track car sound without the turbo and anitlag.

If i could have this sound, all day every day, without a ticket.. i would in a heartbeat haha

lolol that's so crazy hahahaha
The Following User Says Thank You to ft86me For This Useful Post:
Batman (06-09-2013)
Old 06-09-2013, 11:42 PM   #40
wootwoot

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Lmao....
wootwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:45 PM   #41
Laika
When In Doubt...

Drives: Slowww
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
What do you do if you have a catted aftermarket header and years down the road you find out that the cat is toast? Couldn't imagine having just any shop weld on a new cat.

Also I read before from a vendor here that the cats you got on aftermarket headers don't last very long. Is there any truth to this?

Join the Galaxy Blue Silica BRZ registry below:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2c&usp=sharing
Laika is offline   Reply With Quote