follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Consensus on TRD exhaust offering for FRS?...

Hi folks so I was spending several evenings viewing threads, hours listening to drive by vids of various systems. Not much to be found on the TRD offering that the dealers of course have available.

I am wondering cost aside as obviously its pricey, if its a good system overall? It's in opinion of the dealer that warranty can depict their thoughts on other aftermarket exhausts if in fact any issues arose in the car etc..

So wanting to know if there are any complaints or things to note about TRDs offering. Bottom line is I need to rid of stock, I need some depth and better looks.

Hoping to hear from those that have it, have heard it etc...

Thanks for your time,

Shawn
OICU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Considering the midpipe is almost the size of stock, and it's just a muffler with some snazzy tips, it's not worth it compared to a Resonated Perrin or Nameless Offset Axleback.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:53 AM   #3
BigJyoungblood
Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (37J)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
It probably doesn't add any or much power, but I heard it the other day while at work (at my dealership) on a five:ad fr-s and it did sound very good and looked very good as well, i was very impressed. I have also heard the invidia n1 which I did enjoy but hate the angled googley eyed looking exhaust tips/canisters...
Old 04-07-2013, 02:17 AM   #4
wootwoot

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Cat-back systems add so little power that you are best off just getting the one that makes the sound you like. I would rather like how my car sounded and make 5 less hp than hate the way my car sounded just to gain 5hp. Think Honda Civic with 3" exhaust and not cats.... Don't be that guy. Unless you go to the track often.

There are lots of sound clips around youtube. Check those out. Go to your local car meets and see what everyone is running there. Try to see what you like sound wise and buy accordingly.
wootwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:13 AM   #5
OICU812
Just a dude

Garage
Honestly the need for a loud or rumble isn't there with me, mind you I listen to vids of that Lachute system and it sounds sweet . I did however 20 years ago care about really wanting to hear my exhaust through all bands, got me in lots of trouble doing it on a 450+HP pickup with baby blue bottles

I think my questions and my considerations are based around warranty. I know it is just exhaust and seems many here are going far beyond that and not too worried about it, I myself I guess at this stage of life do worry about that abit. I have had some experiences mind you not with Toyota in the past where fingers were pointed at me for something aftermarket on the vehicle, those were EXPENSIVE things that came out of pocket to, that sincerely still IMO had ZERO to do with the aftermarket parts, however they have the power when you are within the warranty time frame to depict somethings.

Has anyone here consulted Toyota or their dealer to see how much impact if any your aftermarket exhaust could have on warranty in the event something funky happened with your ECU/motor etc...??
Old 04-08-2013, 12:19 AM   #6
the_colombian

Drives: Red FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I like mine. It was already on the car that I wanted so it was an easy decision. Sounds good on the streets but drones on the highway. Not too loud but you have to turn up the radio to not be bothered.
the_colombian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:23 AM   #7
OICU812
Just a dude

Garage
No kidding, I literally only heard it idle at the lot, sounded good at low cold ad warm start, had the guy go through some rpm ranges and sounded near silent at 3-4K. I really am suprised to hear that there is any drone at all with this system to be honest. So it is minor however?
Old 04-08-2013, 12:39 AM   #8
Batman
Easy, Tiger.

Drives: Tiguan, S4, SBC 350 Wrangler
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Hi folks so I was spending several evenings viewing threads, hours listening to drive by vids of various systems. Not much to be found on the TRD offering that the dealers of course have available.

I am wondering cost aside as obviously its pricey, if its a good system overall? It's in opinion of the dealer that warranty can depict their thoughts on other aftermarket exhausts if in fact any issues arose in the car etc..

So wanting to know if there are any complaints or things to note about TRDs offering. Bottom line is I need to rid of stock, I need some depth and better looks.

Hoping to hear from those that have it, have heard it etc...

Thanks for your time,

Shawn
As for the warranty thing, I had the awesome opportunity to chat with my regions Scion representative, and (i forgot the official title) "guy with mustache thats over all the service at toyota dealerships and flies in when something is wrong with warranty"

They told me very confidently that if i were to put non TRD parts on this car, my warranty would still be intact. The only thing stopping that, is if the new part is directly related to the problem.

Example: when i turbo my car, and the A/C stops blowing a while later, thats not the fault of the turbo, therefore its under warranty. However if a Rod blows through the side of the block, most likely because of the turbo system, warranty will not cover it.

In they Scion trainings they obviously try to have the salespeople biased towards TRD reccommendations. but, unless you like those arched flat bottom tips, i would definitely go with the Perrin catback, or whatever your sound flavor pulls you to.

For me.. fabbing up a straight pipe quad tip exhaust that screams with the torment of 300 tormented subaru souls.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:41 AM   #9
Batman
Easy, Tiger.

Drives: Tiguan, S4, SBC 350 Wrangler
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Honestly the need for a loud or rumble isn't there with me, mind you I listen to vids of that Lachute system and it sounds sweet . I did however 20 years ago care about really wanting to hear my exhaust through all bands, got me in lots of trouble doing it on a 450+HP pickup with baby blue bottles

I think my questions and my considerations are based around warranty. I know it is just exhaust and seems many here are going far beyond that and not too worried about it, I myself I guess at this stage of life do worry about that abit. I have had some experiences mind you not with Toyota in the past where fingers were pointed at me for something aftermarket on the vehicle, those were EXPENSIVE things that came out of pocket to, that sincerely still IMO had ZERO to do with the aftermarket parts, however they have the power when you are within the warranty time frame to depict somethings.

Has anyone here consulted Toyota or their dealer to see how much impact if any your aftermarket exhaust could have on warranty in the event something funky happened with your ECU/motor etc...??
Just posted about this, from the mustached toyota man, unless it is a direct relation to the aftermarket part added, the warranty will still cover.

Sorry for the kinda-double posting.
OICU812 (04-08-2013)
Old 04-08-2013, 12:43 AM   #10
meow_mix
Good kitty...

Drives: Blür
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I've got the TRD exhaust on mine. The main reason I got it was for the looks. If I want serious power, I'll get it elsewhere. Although, I did notice a little more pep in certain conditions, the same you'll notice with any exhaust I guess. Probably negligible. Fitment was perfect, didn't take long to install at all, and it sounds nice. Definitely louder than stock but not overbearing.
meow_mix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:43 AM   #11
cfusionpm

Drives: Firestorm 6MT Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Like most small mods, you generally don't notice the gains when they're there, but you will notice them when they're gone. I had simple intake and exhaust on my old tC. Never really felt too much faster. But when I put the stock pieces back on, it felt noticeably more sluggish and slow to respond.

That said, I love the look and sound of the TRD exhaust, and it's at the top of my list of what to get next..... right after the Pioneer Nav HU.

2013 Firestorm 6MT Scion FR-S
cfusionpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:48 AM   #12
OICU812
Just a dude

Garage
Great feedback guys, much more positive then what I've read about TRD exhaust lately. I know they're are several systems out there videos are so hard to tell and there are also very few of these cars within hours away. Literally a handful at best. Wish some folks would do some drive by and launch vids with TRD exhaust. I searched you tube and found well next to nothing that really showed the range of sound from TRD EXHAUST.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:39 AM   #13
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Great feedback guys, much more positive then what I've read about TRD exhaust lately. I know they're are several systems out there videos are so hard to tell and there are also very few of these cars within hours away. Literally a handful at best. Wish some folks would do some drive by and launch vids with TRD exhaust. I searched you tube and found well next to nothing that really showed the range of sound from TRD EXHAUST.
That's because most people aren't dumb enough to spend over a grand on JUST a catback. Hell, there's a company TIG welding a 3" stainless catback with titanium tips, rolled or not, for under $1000. It's just not reasonable overpaying for a TRD exhaust unless you enjoy getting ripped off. Tons of options aftermarket to get that deep tone, just do some research.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:13 AM   #14
Clembo
'Senior' Junior Member

Drives: 13 FR-S,08 Mustang Bullitt,06 MX-5
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wootwoot View Post
Cat-back systems add so little power that you are best off just getting the one that makes the sound you like. I would rather like how my car sounded and make 5 less hp than hate the way my car sounded just to gain 5hp. Think Honda Civic with 3" exhaust and not cats.... Don't be that guy. Unless you go to the track often.

There are lots of sound clips around youtube. Check those out. Go to your local car meets and see what everyone is running there. Try to see what you like sound wise and buy accordingly.
Good advice - the only way to be sure it's the sound you want is to hear them in person. Sound clips are OK but there are no reference standards so the same system can sound totally different in different clips. Be patient, listen to different systems on cars that are set up the same as yours. You'll know the right one when you hear it and you'll be happy.

"You'll never know if you don't try" - Shinroko Momose
Clembo is offline   Reply With Quote