follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 01-25-2023, 09:06 PM   #1
cyberjock

Drives: Toyota 86 2018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Need some help/opinions on current setup

Hi,

I’m currently running 20mm/25mm F/R wheel adapters (5x100 to 5x114.3) on 17x8 +30 wrapped in 225/45/17s and I’m kinda iffy on the fitment.

It’s poking a bit too much for my liking and the shop I had my alignment done said I would have to run -3 degree camber all around so I wouldn’t run into rubbing issues and have it sit flushed. I believe -3 is a bit too much imo and I like where my car sits in terms of height. I want a flushed fitment that rides along the fenders with some decent amount of camber, but this just pushes the wheels out too far.

The oem studs in the front couldn’t clear the 20mm along the hub of the wheel so I had to shave two of them in order to make it work.

Since I paid a good amount of money for this current setup I was thinking riding on these until it’s time for new tires and get less meatier ones. Buy some 15mm for the front and put the existing 20’s in the rear hoping it’ll be better, but worried the oem studs in the front won’t clear the 15’s so I’ll have to shave it even more. I would have to shave two more studs in the rear if I plan on putting the 20’s.

Idk i’m new to this whole wheel fitment thing and just a bit bummed out with how it turned out. I’ve read somewhere that with the wheel specs I have currently with 20/25 spacers would fill it nicely but it’s just poking too much and having to camber that much to have it sit flushed is terrible.

What do you guys think? If I wanted to achieve flushed fitment with a good amount of camber on the wheels I currently have, what should I do?
cyberjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 05:40 AM   #2
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
18/10/8 on 215/35/18s
No spacers.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 02:39 AM   #3
cyberjock

I need these adapters in order to run the wheels I have...
Old 01-27-2023, 10:52 AM   #4
terboboost

Drives: 2013 BRZ HKS Turbo
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
-3 camber isn't too much in the front, but, if you insist you still have options.

Like you said, swapping spacers is an easy solution. Another option compared to shaving studs is to drill out the backside of the wheel to add additional clearance. I did this with a hand drill, and while it looks a little "hacky", A) no one sees it, and B) it doesn't pose a safety/function problem.

Otherwise, have you thought about rolling your fenders? It would be very easy to get another few mm out of your fenders, and fender rolling is usually not too expensive. You can do it yourself with a fender roller, heat gun, and some patience, or you can find someone local that is capable. It's possible what you read about it fitting nicely was assuming a fender roll.

Another thing to remember, rubbing is not necessarily bad. Depends on how often/deep it rubs, but other then it being a bit annoying, it's not "bad" for the car or tires.

Photos of the fitment will help!
Old 01-28-2023, 12:58 AM   #5
cyberjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by terboboost View Post
-3 camber isn't too much in the front, but, if you insist you still have options.

Like you said, swapping spacers is an easy solution. Another option compared to shaving studs is to drill out the backside of the wheel to add additional clearance. I did this with a hand drill, and while it looks a little "hacky", A) no one sees it, and B) it doesn't pose a safety/function problem.

Otherwise, have you thought about rolling your fenders? It would be very easy to get another few mm out of your fenders, and fender rolling is usually not too expensive. You can do it yourself with a fender roller, heat gun, and some patience, or you can find someone local that is capable. It's possible what you read about it fitting nicely was assuming a fender roll.

Another thing to remember, rubbing is not necessarily bad. Depends on how often/deep it rubs, but other then it being a bit annoying, it's not "bad" for the car or tires.

Photos of the fitment will help!
Hey, thanks!

I just purchased a 15mm Wheel Adapter and I plan on swapping the tires to a 215/45/17 instead. Hopefully, that fixes the problem but I have a feeling the 15mm's won't make much of a difference. I was thinking of a 10mm but then I'd have to shave a lot of the OEM studs off.

I'll try to post better photos tomorrow, but here are some I had saved: https://imgur.com/a/mokqllE
Old 01-28-2023, 11:34 AM   #6
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
IMO -3 camber all around isn't that big a deal. I'm pretty close to that and with zero toe-in and no big wear issues.

Are you really effectively running +10/+5 offsets (+30-20/+30-25)? Gotta say I've never been a fan of nearly unworkable offsets with narrowish wheels/tires shoved ridiculously far outboard, but to each his own I guess...

Last edited by ZDan; 01-28-2023 at 02:06 PM.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 02:48 PM   #7
cyberjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
IMO -3 camber all around isn't that big a deal. I'm pretty close to that and with zero toe-in and no big wear issues.

Are you really effectively running +10/+5 offsets (+30-20/+30-25)? Gotta say I've never been a fan of nearly unworkable offsets with narrowish wheels/tires shoved ridiculously far outboard, but to each his own I guess...
To be honest, I didn't think it would've been pushed out this far. It's definitely an eye sore for me, which is why I'm debating on buying a set of 10mm adapters or 15mm's(don't think it will do much change). I'm also trying to get the tires changed
Old 01-28-2023, 03:01 PM   #8
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberjock View Post
To be honest, I didn't think it would've been pushed out this far. It's definitely an eye sore for me, which is why I'm debating on buying a set of 10mm adapters or 15mm's(don't think it will do much change). I'm also trying to get the tires changed
You might consider different wheels that either don't require hub adapters, or have higher offsets than +30.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (01-29-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 05:17 AM   #9
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by terboboost View Post
Another option compared to shaving studs is to drill out the backside of the wheel to add additional clearance. I did this with a hand drill, and while it looks a little "hacky", A) no one sees it, and B) it doesn't pose a safety/function problem.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote