follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 01-18-2015, 11:45 AM   #1
Jfheisenberg

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series Blue WRB
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Winter Tires worth it in Jersey for the remaining of this winter?

Ill be picking up my BRZ in two weeks and since there is still two more months of winter, I'm not sure to buy the winter tires or not. I live in the north jersey area (close to the nyc) and so far there has not been much snow this winter.

If there are any BRZ owner in the north jersey area, please let me know what are your thoughts on putting winter tires for the remaining of the winter or just wait until the next one. thanks!
Jfheisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:06 PM   #2
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Half the battle is the cold. Nokian WRG3 are ideal if the snow is less the issue but cold/wet/dry with ice/snow occasionally. So much better than the stock tires.

You may be fine.

One unexpected anything related to the winter road conditions and you may wish you'd gone ahead and picked up different tires. Of course, they won't prevent something from happening, but they sure can help.

I drive very infrequently and could avoid it entirely if I bothered to try. Still picked up a winter tire/wheel setup. So I'm one to take precautions and never need it, and not complain. I have Pirelli SottoZero Serie3.

Enjoy the car.
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cjd For This Useful Post:
wparsons (01-18-2015)
Old 01-18-2015, 12:15 PM   #3
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Drives: '91 MR2 Gen3 3SGTE, '13 FRS
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
All it takes is some bad timing and a few hours of snow storm which will render your car useless and/or very dangerous to drive. It's your choice but I will never chance it without winter tires during the snow season.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:01 PM   #4
phrosty

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
The best part about winter tires is not in the snow -- a good winter tire will have really great grip when it's cold and dry. Even if you've got no snow, if you have constant temps below 45 degrees it's worth it.

In the snow, good winter tires will not give you good grip. It's a definite improvement, but it still feels unsafe as hell and you still need to be very cautious.
2013 Whiteout 6AT FR-S | Perrin Inlet Tube + 2.75" CAI | OpenFlash Header | P&L Catback | 4.88 Final Drive | Dialed in OFT 2.0x Stage 2 E85 | 18x8 Enkei Raijin + 225/40 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | 17x7 Stock + 215/45 Michelin X-Ice Xi-2
phrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phrosty For This Useful Post:
wparsons (01-18-2015)
Old 01-18-2015, 01:18 PM   #5
Jfheisenberg

Thanks for the info , i'll be looking around for some snow tires just in case.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:31 AM   #6
jetsevo4

Drives: '15 brz
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfheisenberg View Post
Thanks for the info , i'll be looking around for some snow tires just in case.
On a RWD car like this definitely get some type of snow tire. You don't want to hit a semi-steep incline on summer tires just to slide back down lol Plus you will stop faster in snow which is even more important than starting.

And you could just use them again next year.
jetsevo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:12 PM   #7
Jfheisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsevo4 View Post
On a RWD car like this definitely get some type of snow tire. You don't want to hit a semi-steep incline on summer tires just to slide back down lol Plus you will stop faster in snow which is even more important than starting.

And you could just use them again next year.
Yes, Any recommendations on which tires i should get? Im thinking on just getting the winter tires and use it with the stock wheels.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:57 PM   #8
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
It's easy spending someone else's money, but if you can swing it, get the winters on dedicated steel wheels. You can swap them in your driveway, which in itself will pay for the extra cost of the wheels after a couple of seasons, plus your OEM wheel will stay nice. And steel wheels can take a beating, plus if a pothole puts a smile in the rim, a 3 pound mallet will have things round again in no time.

I got 205/55/16 Continental ExtremeWinters on steel 16x6.5 wheels from TireRack. They dig pretty well, but they have less straight line stability than the previous winters I had (Dunlop Graspic DS2s). The Dunlops bit a little better in a straight line, but had a little less side bite, if I had to critique them. They're great in slush and hard pack snow - tons of siping, and a decent amount of void space. But all that siping means a shit-ton of tread squirm. TBH, it makes the car kind of fun to toss around...lol
venturaII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:58 AM   #9
Jfheisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by venturaII View Post
It's easy spending someone else's money, but if you can swing it, get the winters on dedicated steel wheels. You can swap them in your driveway, which in itself will pay for the extra cost of the wheels after a couple of seasons, plus your OEM wheel will stay nice. And steel wheels can take a beating, plus if a pothole puts a smile in the rim, a 3 pound mallet will have things round again in no time.

I got 205/55/16 Continental ExtremeWinters on steel 16x6.5 wheels from TireRack. They dig pretty well, but they have less straight line stability than the previous winters I had (Dunlop Graspic DS2s). The Dunlops bit a little better in a straight line, but had a little less side bite, if I had to critique them. They're great in slush and hard pack snow - tons of siping, and a decent amount of void space. But all that siping means a shit-ton of tread squirm. TBH, it makes the car kind of fun to toss around...lol
Thanks for the advise. Since there is only a month and a half left for winter left, then i might just keep my celica and drive it during snow days. This will allow me to save some money for good winter tires and wheels for next winter.

My plan was to sell my celica right after i get the BRZ next week, but i guess i can sell it on mid - end of march.