follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 03-08-2019, 03:41 PM   #15
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,251 Times in 677 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanbags View Post
Oh interesting, I didn't know that bit. Good info, thanks for sharing!

I just always make sure that there are no rocks/dust by cleaning up both the magnet and car paint surface before applying so you get the best possible adhesion.
Yep, that is exactly what he said to do.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:20 PM   #16
Imp
Bring out your dead

Drives: '14 BRZ (SSC), '00 S2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
"I want to run track events that cost hundreds of dollars never mind lots of consumables... but can't spend $30 for numbers."

--kC
Old 03-12-2019, 07:34 AM   #17
steverife

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Autocross, not track...

...but I buy sheets at local craft shops and sketch/cut mine.
steverife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steverife For This Useful Post:
BigTuna (03-12-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 03:25 PM   #18
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,251 Times in 677 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
FYI, 86CUP numbers are now available for us at TrackDecals. They are designed to also be NASA compliant.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:35 PM   #19
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
If I had the space in my house I would already own a vinyl cutter. But I don't, so I don't and now I pay the "I can't do my own stuff" tax.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:59 PM   #20
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
"I want to run track events that cost hundreds of dollars never mind lots of consumables... but can't spend $30 for numbers."

--kC
Or maybe it's, "why buy a $4 magnet for $30?" I'm sorry I offended you with my belief that wasting money is stupid. If there was a reason to spend the money, I'd like to hear it. If not, I'm sorry this struck a nerve.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:49 PM   #21
FR-Sky

Drives: 2013 FR-S 10 series [755]
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Get a number that you like, and register as soon as they open every time.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:48 AM   #22
Imp
Bring out your dead

Drives: '14 BRZ (SSC), '00 S2000
Nerve? No. I'm saying it's hypocrisy. You spend hundreds and thousands on consumables for various track days, stuff that will wear out. But a good set of numbers is like other good hardware. It will last as many tracks days as you go to. $30 for one event. $15 for 2 events. $10 for 3 events.... see how that works?

I had a vinyl biz for about 10 years (closed in 2012) specializing in track numbers. I can't tell you how many people said the same thing as you over, and over, and over again, until they caved and got some good numbers from myself and other reputable dealers. It's your money, sure... but if you're going to want something to not worry about on top of all the other stuff on a track day, good numbers is as close to "set it and forget it" as one can get.

--kC
Pat (03-14-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 10:30 AM   #23
Docdoc

Drives: Scion FR-S 2014
Quote:
Nerve? No. I'm saying it's hypocrisy. You spend hundreds and thousands on consumables for various track days, stuff that will wear out. But a good set of numbers is like other good hardware. It will last as many tracks days as you go to. $30 for one event. $15 for 2 events. $10 for 3 events.... see how that works?
--kC
I have to agree with Imp on this one. lucky, Solo Performance Specialties is located in my city, I just had a short drive there and picked up x4 number 3's for this weekends track day. It was like 15 dollars out the door with a few extra mini track map vinyl for the windows. Since the 3's are reusable vinyl, I should get plenty of use of them then season and ya they were one and done. I spent more on sticky tires, brake pads and a nice helmet.

Docdoc
Old 03-15-2019, 10:52 AM   #24
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:

I had a vinyl biz for about 10 years (closed in 2012) specializing in track numbers. I can't tell you how many people said the same thing as you over, and over, and over again, until they caved and got some good numbers from myself and other reputable dealers. It's your money, sure... but if you're going to want something to not worry about on top of all the other stuff on a track day, good numbers is as close to "set it and forget it" as one can get.

--kC
I'm not sure you know what hypocrisy is but I figured out why it struck a nerve with you. I don't really appreciate the tone you came into the conversation with and your total lack of valuable input but I am sorry about your business going under. That probably sounds sarcastic but it isn't.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:51 AM   #25
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I've previously just used printable magnetic sheets from the local craft shop but had issues with the entire sheet staying attached. After losing 2 magnets this way, I changed my tactic and instead cut the numbers out of the sheets and they tend to stick much better as I haven't lost a number since.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 02:38 PM   #26
14stu

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Back in 2009 I ordered a set of high quality magnetic numbers and letters for autox, I still have them but retired them in 2014 after 5 years and well over 100 autox events. I occasionally still run them and they hold up at the track and at highway speeds and I've only had a letter or number come off once or twice (usually during rain events or when the temperature changes more than 35F).

I replaced my professionally made magnetic numbers with numbers I cut out of magnetic vent covers from the Home Despot. 3 packs of magnetic covers cost $5 and make nearly a full set of numbers and letters for about 1/10th the price of the fancy pre-made versions. The magnets are nearly as good and in the cases where they've come off I'm not sure that the fancy ones wouldn't have as well. The upside is that the ones I make are essentially disposable, I've got plenty of spares and at $1 per number (or less) I don't have to worry about losing one at the track.

Aside from cost, convenience is a huge bonus. Sure, cutting out some numbers and letters takes a little time but I have them and don't have to worry about shipping or making a special trip to the vinyl shop. If my preferred numbers are taken, I can cut out a couple of new digits with the spare sheets and I'm good to go. For professional stuff to make more sense, I'd want either a bulk amount or a subscription type deal.

The car won't finish a track day without brakes, tires, entry fees, and fluids but you can get buy with tape/homemade numbers. I can't afford to waste money on things that aren't necessary.
14stu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 14stu For This Useful Post:
JoeC (03-15-2019), Vesartis (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 03:04 PM   #27
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
I get reusable vinyl decals from izoom (izoomgraphics.com). Numbers + class letters for my car = $45 for the larger 10" color numbers (8" black or white a little cheaper). I used them for 7 events, so less than $7 per event! Compared with other stuff (tires, brakes, fuel, hotels, etc.) this represents less than 1% of my costs to run the car.

ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 03:31 PM   #28
14stu

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
I get reusable vinyl decals from izoom (izoomgraphics.com). Numbers + class letters for my car = $45 for the larger 10" color numbers (8" black or white a little cheaper). I used them for 7 events, so less than $7 per event! Compared with other stuff (tires, brakes, fuel, hotels, etc.) this represents less than 1% of my costs to run the car.
I'm running on a tighter budget so that I can afford the 30 trackdays I'm scheduled for this year.

The biggest two savings are hotels and registration fees. I'm only running one weekend where I'll need a hotel and I'm splitting it with a couple of other guys the rest of the events are at tracks just over an hour's drive. I'm an instructor with all the clubs I run with so I only pay entry fees for competitive events without instructing (fewer than 8 of the events I'm participating in).

I run Hankook RS4's, the set I'm on now will last 12-15 trackdays (I'm surprised) and they cost me about $600 with installation and shipping. I budgeted 10 trackdays for the set, so I'm clawing back some costs.

Front brake pads last about 10-12 trackdays and are $200-$250. Rear pads last about twice as long and are usually about $40-$50 cheaper. I replace front rotors as needed, but a set usually last for about a season, rears last much longer and I've only had to replace them once over 3+ seasons.

I typically use about $80 in gas for the drive to and at the track.

So, $80 in gas + $60 in tire wear + $30 in bakes + other consumables and amortized entry fees and I'm averaging about $200 for a trackday (this prediction aligns with my outlay from last year). $40 for vinyls doesn't sound bad, but for the same money I made enough magnetic number and letters for 4-5 year's worth of haphazard use (also, I've got 6 unique digit sets and 5 unique letters, as well as spares made and materials for more). The homemade magnets get my costs down to the same 1%, I'm just running a much tighter ship.

At $40 a set, I'd need the commercial sets to be much more convenient than the homemade (quality doesn't have enough room to make much of a difference). I don't think either approach is a bad way to go, I just know what I've found to work best for me.
14stu is offline   Reply With Quote