follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 06-07-2018, 11:06 AM   #43
iggy

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzleSAURUS View Post
I have my '15 with 41k listed at 16.5k stock, 19k with the modifications in my signature along with 3 sets of wheels and tires (plus all the stock parts!) and people are asking me if I'll accept monthly payments...
I cracked up at the monthly payment comment and thought "who would actually ask that on a private sale??".....and then I got a message asking me the same thing.
iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:29 AM   #44
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy View Post
I cracked up at the monthly payment comment and thought "who would actually ask that on a private sale??".....and then I got a message asking me the same thing.
Well? Will you?
funwheeldrive (06-07-2018), Ganthrithor (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 01:58 PM   #45
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
I suggest she contact a bank and she said 'that's a good idea thanks! I'll look into that. You're really far away though'

Google maps said her town is 1 hour and 5 minutes from me...
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 02:19 PM   #46
Yardjass

Drives: '14 Monogram, '95 Miata, '90 300ZX
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
If forum members have not seen similar, why is this a debate. It's a niche car, it should depreciate somewhat less than your normal commuter.

This. These cars are sold in fewer numbers and have a much greater percent that were babied and kept in garages as second cars than your average "normal" car. I would say lower demand could hold it back but that also applies to any other sports car but doesn't seem to matter.

The depreciation on these is normal by the standards of an every day transportation appliance. It is abysmal when you look at what a five year old garage kept car with 20,000 original miles should be going for. That honestly is why I bought mine. I could have got something like a lightly used Civic instead but why? These things are a steal, they're simplistic and rarely break down, and they're much more fun. Low teens for any car with 30k miles is a good deal, let alone a fun as hell purpose built sports car.
Yardjass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 02:41 PM   #47
Tcoat

Weird how the price of the 13s keeps going down year after year for 5 years.
cjd (06-07-2018), extrashaky (06-08-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 03:26 PM   #48
iggy

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Well? Will you?
Yes, I will. I'll accept one monthly payment in the full price of the car.

An alternative proposition: They can pay me monthly for an agreed upon amount and get the car once the full value has been paid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzleSAURUS View Post
I suggest she contact a bank and she said 'that's a good idea thanks! I'll look into that. You're really far away though'

Google maps said her town is 1 hour and 5 minutes from me...
I did the same thing. Something tells me that was the last i'll ever hear from him.
iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iggy For This Useful Post:
JazzleSAURUS (06-07-2018), RallySport (06-09-2018), Tcoat (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 03:43 PM   #49
Tcoat

Quote:
Yes, I will. I'll accept one monthly payment in the full price of the car.

An alternative proposition: They can pay me monthly for an agreed upon amount and get the car once the full value has been paid.

I did the same thing. Something tells me that was the last i'll ever hear from him.
That could take a while

Old 06-07-2018, 04:21 PM   #50
KDad2

Drives: 2013 Raven
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Weird how the price of the 13s keeps going down year after year for 5 years.

My '13 actually went up $2K according to what Mint.com uses.

Oh.... I'm so sure...

Must mean that all of ours will go up in value. I might actually make money on mine included all the parts maybe in 20 years or so when it is one of the few that can actually be driven.
KDad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KDad2 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 06:21 PM   #51
rvoll

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited, 2017 Sportage
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Wrong

How are Kelley Blue Book Values Established?
Beginning with the basic new vehicle information from the manufacturer, each and every day, Kelley Blue Book receives real-world new car prices and used car prices from actual transaction information. The following sources make up the bulk of a typical year in used car purchase information and feed the base of data our experts analyze:

Wholesale Auctions
Open exclusively to the trade, representatives from dealerships and wholesalers bring vehicles to the auction to trade or sell and they purchase other vehicles they think will sell at their store. Auctions receive their vehicles from dealers, rental agencies, fleet owners, off-lease vehicles owned by financial institutions and manufacturers' demos and promotional vehicles.
Kelley Blue Book representatives audit these auctions on a regular basis to gather a better understanding of what the highest possible "actual cash value" of a given used vehicle will bring at auction.

Independent Dealers
These are the dealerships you see every day that are selling used vehicles only. These dealers sell used vehicles to auctions, consumers and wholesalers.
Franchised Dealers
These are specifically branded new car dealerships authorized by the respective manufacturer such as Honda, Ford, etc. These dealers sell used vehicles to both auctions and consumers.
Rental & Fleet
Rental fleets usually send their cars to auction after one year of service, but have extended that usage in recent years.
Original Equipment Manufacturers (O.E.M.s)
The manufacturers (such as Honda, Ford, etc.), bring used vehicles to auction after they have utilized them as employee cars, promotions or other company distribution.
Financial Institution Lessors
When you lease a car, the bank owns it and you rent the use of the vehicle. After the term of the lease is complete, these pre-owned vehicles are either sold back to the lessee or directly to a dealer at auction. Financial institutions also trade and sell repossessed cars and trucks.
Consumer Private Party Transactions
Kelley Blue Book tracks consumer sale prices each year.

How are the Final Values Determined?
Used values are determined by a proprietary editorial process. This process starts with a thorough analysis of all collected data along with historical trends, current economic conditions, industry developments, seasonality and location. The resulting values reflect the most current representation of a changing marketplace and are therefore relied upon by a variety of leading organizations as well as the average consumer.
Really? So tell me how any service knows what price I received on the last car I sold privately? It was a cash deal and listed in Craigslist. If I listed my car on this site, how would they know? Do they read private emails? Everyone else is a dealer. Sometimes, instead of just cutting and pasting text, you have to think about what the words actually mean. And do you really believe that if a Twin was sold at auction you'd receive top dollar? Have you ever been to a non collector's car auction? The cars are sold cheap -- even below KBB value. I've been to a number of them.

By the way, before I posted my response I actually reviewed and thought about what they said in their ADVERTISING verbiage. The internet cannot substitute for critical thinking..... So again, if you sell your car privately without guarantees and/or financing, you will not get even the average book value.

And if you are still not convinced that KBB isn't reading our emails, then consider that the great bulk of data they receive are from dealers. By the way, most of the used car data is from places like Carmax or Autonation, not Joe's Car Bargains down the street. They both have guarantees and financing. Now if you want to test my statement, it's simple. Take your car to Carmax and see how much they will give you. Then add $1,000 and that will give you the maximum you can get except, that is, if you find a fool to buy your car.
rvoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:55 PM   #52
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvoll View Post
Really? So tell me how any service knows what price I received on the last car I sold privately? It was a cash deal and listed in Craigslist. If I listed my car on this site, how would they know? Do they read private emails? Everyone else is a dealer. Sometimes, instead of just cutting and pasting text, you have to think about what the words actually mean. And do you really believe that if a Twin was sold at auction you'd receive top dollar? Have you ever been to a non collector's car auction? The cars are sold cheap -- even below KBB value. I've been to a number of them.

By the way, before I posted my response I actually reviewed and thought about what they said in their ADVERTISING verbiage. The internet cannot substitute for critical thinking..... So again, if you sell your car privately without guarantees and/or financing, you will not get even the average book value.

And if you are still not convinced that KBB isn't reading our emails, then consider that the great bulk of data they receive are from dealers. By the way, most of the used car data is from places like Carmax or Autonation, not Joe's Car Bargains down the street. They both have guarantees and financing. Now if you want to test my statement, it's simple. Take your car to Carmax and see how much they will give you. Then add $1,000 and that will give you the maximum you can get except, that is, if you find a fool to buy your car.
Nice lengthy response with no support other than your own conspiracy theory. You have no idea how and where they collect the data. Your critical thinking skills are proven poor over and over again.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:04 PM   #53
redhalo

Drives: MY20 Hakone Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvoll View Post
Really? So tell me how any service knows what price I received on the last car I sold privately? It was a cash deal and listed in Craigslist. If I listed my car on this site, how would they know? Do they read private emails? Everyone else is a dealer.
Do you not have to report the sale of the vehicle when transferring the title in your home state? Even if not, most do and that is where they get the prices. It's much simpler than hacking your emails.
redhalo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redhalo For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 08:19 PM   #54
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhalo View Post
Do you not have to report the sale of the vehicle when transferring the title in your home state? Even if not, most do and that is where they get the prices. It's much simpler than hacking your emails.
No no no the FBI reports vehicle sales when they monitor your internet activity. Nothing get's past us...

I mean them.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:45 PM   #55
pcguru2000

Drives: toyota 86 2017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
It's a 2014 Limited 6MT with 47,500 miles. I have it listed for $17,250. Cargurus says fair market value is $17k.
This is what I got from KBB for color black
Trade-in Value
$12,753 - $14,792
Condition: Good
Valid for ZIP Code 19019 through 06/07/2018

Trade-in Value
$13,399 - $15,458
Condition: Very Good

It doesn't look like you are going to sell this car at the price you are asking. Carmax goes by kbb prices, so even at carmax, unless you vehicle is pristine, they are going to rate it good and give you maybe 14K.

Interest rates are going up, which means financed car payments are going to be even more. That might push more people to buy used than new. You can wait and see if this is to your advantage and someone will choose to purchase your car instead of buying a new one.

When I bought my 86, there was no way in hell I was going to buy a used one. There's an 80% chance that it has been modded, abused, and it's value way diminished. Maybe these prices reflect not the true value of the car if it wasn't messed with, but the value people will purchase the car knowing that the engine may blow up on you because the previous owner supercharged it, ran it on flex fuel, etc.

So here's a tip, if you have not modded it, great. Tell people it's unmodified and that you are willing to have a mechanic give it a full inspection. Have your dealer print out the receipt of every visit. If it's been modded, there would be a note on the paperwork saying the dealer saw something they didn't like.
pcguru2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:56 PM   #56
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcguru2000 View Post
This is what I got from KBB for color black
Trade-in Value
$12,753 - $14,792
Condition: Good

Trade-in Value
$13,399 - $15,458
Condition: Very Good

It doesn't look like you are going to sell this car at the price you are asking. Carmax goes by kbb prices, so even at carmax, unless you vehicle is pristine, they are going to rate it good and give you maybe 14K.

Interest rates are going up, which means financed car payments are going to be even more. That might push more people to buy used than new. You can wait and see if this is to your advantage and someone will choose to purchase your car instead of buying a new one.

When I bought my 86, there was no way in hell I was going to buy a used one. There's an 80% chance that it has been modded, abused, and it's value way diminished. Maybe these prices reflect not the true value of the car if it wasn't messed with, but the value people will purchase the car knowing that the engine may blow up on you because the previous owner supercharged it, ran it on flex fuel, etc.

So here's a tip, if you have not modded it, great. Tell people it's unmodified and that you are willing to have a mechanic give it a full inspection. Have your dealer print out the receipt of every visit. If it's been modded, there would be a note on the paperwork saying the dealer saw something they didn't like.
Don't use trade in value for private sales. Trade in value is is always lower.

Disagree with your estimate that 80% are modded or beat up. Probably more like 40%. We just don't hear or see the majority that are running around bone stock driven by somebody that will never see red line much less slide it out (on purpose). I doubt even 80% of the ones on this forum are heavily modded or beat on.
KDad2 (06-07-2018)