follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 03-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #1
Mokiki

Drives: FR-S firestorm
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
transmission noise when reaching 23-25m/h

wonder if anyone else experienced the same thing. I have a stock FR-S MT.

so it only happens when my car has not been driven for more than 4 hours least, like the first drive in the morning. When my car reaches about 23-25m/h for the first time, it will make a gear clicking sound. It sounds like some transmission/gear is engaged.

It only makes this noise once, when reaching 23-25 for the first time regardless which gear I am on (even when it's neutral)

Since it only makes this noise once, and I can't make the tech drive with me everyday in the morning. no issue could be identified by the dealer...

nothing's wrong when it makes the engaging/clicking sound, and it does not affect my car performance. But it's the first car that I have ever experienced this. Is it normal?
Mokiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #2
eundaddy

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
try and see if you can take a video. the dealer should be able to duplicate the symptom if you drop it off during the evening, so they can diagnose it in the morning.
eundaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #3
shu5892001
Ontario's FT86

Drives: 2016 Lexus GS-F
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
It's probably normal, the car has a very noisy tranny/diff/clutch
shu5892001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:00 AM   #4
cregor

Drives: Whiteout Scion FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokiki View Post
wonder if anyone else experienced the same thing. I have a stock FR-S MT.

so it only happens when my car has not been driven for more than 4 hours least, like the first drive in the morning. When my car reaches about 23-25m/h for the first time, it will make a gear clicking sound. It sounds like some transmission/gear is engaged.

It only makes this noise once, when reaching 23-25 for the first time regardless which gear I am on (even when it's neutral)

Since it only makes this noise once, and I can't make the tech drive with me everyday in the morning. no issue could be identified by the dealer...

nothing's wrong when it makes the engaging/clicking sound, and it does not affect my car performance. But it's the first car that I have ever experienced this. Is it normal?
I hear this exact same noise. It only happens when the engine is cold and the first time I hit third gear around 25 mph, but to me it sounds like a gate or valve opening.

A friend at work though it might be a thermostatic valve opening. Any mechanics care to weigh in on this?

Googling around returned this, which sounds pretty close to what we are describing, now the question is "Is it normal for it to be so loud that you can hear it inside the car"

Any liquid-cooled car engine has a small device called the thermostat that sits between the engine and the radiator. The thermostat in most cars is about 2 inches (5 cm) in diameter. Its job is to block the flow of coolant to the radiator until the engine has warmed up. When the engine is cold, no coolant flows through the engine. Once the engine reaches its operating temperature (generally about 200 degrees F, 95 degrees C), the thermostat opens. By letting the engine warm up as quickly as possible, the thermostat reduces engine wear, deposits and emissions.
cregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
Sigh-on-Rice
Waited 5 years for this

Drives: '18 MX-5 Club
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Isn't this the noise it makes when the car checks ABS? It happens with any car with ABS.
Sigh-on-Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #6
Mokiki

Drives: FR-S firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by cregor View Post
I hear this exact same noise. It only happens when the engine is cold and the first time I hit third gear around 25 mph, but to me it sounds like a gate or valve opening.

A friend at work though it might be a thermostatic valve opening. Any mechanics care to weigh in on this?

Googling around returned this, which sounds pretty close to what we are describing, now the question is "Is it normal for it to be so loud that you can hear it inside the car"

Any liquid-cooled car engine has a small device called the thermostat that sits between the engine and the radiator. The thermostat in most cars is about 2 inches (5 cm) in diameter. Its job is to block the flow of coolant to the radiator until the engine has warmed up. When the engine is cold, no coolant flows through the engine. Once the engine reaches its operating temperature (generally about 200 degrees F, 95 degrees C), the thermostat opens. By letting the engine warm up as quickly as possible, the thermostat reduces engine wear, deposits and emissions.

It seems to be a speed triggered noise rather than temperature I got several videos, might post them later.
Mokiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:01 PM   #7
cregor

Drives: Whiteout Scion FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokiki View Post
It seems to be a speed triggered noise rather than temperature I got several videos, might post them later.
So I did some further testing today and you are right, it is speed triggered.

Yesterday I heard the noise and looked straight down at the engine temperature gauge and made a mental note. This morning I let the car idle before driving and got it way past the temperature where I heard the noise on the previous day.

I never heard the noise while the engine was idling up to temperature, so I pulled out of the driveway and slowly crept up my speed going down the street. As soon as I reached 24 MPH I heard the noise.

Whats odd is the noise is only present once after a cold start.
cregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #8
Sigh-on-Rice
Waited 5 years for this

Drives: '18 MX-5 Club
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
The more info posted here, the more it sounds like ABS self test.
I suggest you Google "ABS self test".
It's not unique to this car.
Sigh-on-Rice is offline   Reply With Quote