follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northwest

Northwest AK, ID, OR, WA

User Tag List

Old 07-13-2015, 04:54 PM   #1
Locust
Custom User Title

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S, 2012 OB Evo X MR
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Locust
86 Meet & Race w/ SCCA Autocross

I spoke to a lot of you at the Southcenter meet a couple weeks ago about this and it seems like there is definitely interest in making this happen so I wanted to post the particulars for all of you and start a list of attendees. This is going to be a little long so bear with me here.

*** Pre-register at this site: http://new.scorekeeper.wwscc.org/register/nwr2015/ See below for full instructions ***

SCCA/86 Sessions Meet & Race Event
August 16th, 2015
Hampton Mills (closed lumber mill)
Packwood, WA
  • What: Car meet & Autocross - $40 entry (non-SCCA members) or $30 entry (SCCA members) if you pre-register. Walk-in fee is an extra $5. PAYMENT IS CASH/CHECK ONLY (sorry if this is an inconvenience but we get no reception in Packwood.
  • Who: Anyone! 86 owners will have their own class to race in. Non-86 owners can run in Time Only PM class.
  • When: Sunday August 16th, 2015 @8:30AM - Krispy Kreme Tacoma (Tacoma Mall parking lot), roll out at 9:00AM, arrive at Packwood at 11:30AM.
  • Where: Hampton Mills, Packwood, WA - (Approximate address: 12854 U.S. 12, Randle, WA 98377 **please note this is someone's house address as the lumber mill does not have an official one**)

Hi everyone I'm Joey with the Northwest Region SCCA and am also a driver of a Scion FR-S RS1.0. I've been talking with Bernie @HATED1) about this for a little while now and we would love to get a car meet / autocross race day going for anyone that is interested. For those of you that don't know what autocross is please read my brief summary of it below. The local SCCA Solo chapter has agreed to create a special class just for FR-S and BRZ drivers to compete against each other during our 2015 Event #7 out at Packwood, Washington.

Nestled into the southeast corner of Mt. Rainier, with scenic views all around, this is an outstanding location for racing. The event would serve as a car meet, car cruise, and race day all bundled up together and would run from approximately 9:00AM-5:00PM. Full tentative schedule can be found below. You don't have to make every part of it but in order to do the racing be need a minimum of 10 people. If you are interested in participating in this please reply to this thread or confirm with Bernie on the Facebook group.

Schedule:
Packwood is approximately a 2 hour drive from the Seattle/Tacoma metropolitan area. There are a lot of scenic routes to get out there and people often organize car cruises simply to see the roads. This day would involve a brief pre-meet at the Tacoma Mall, a cruise out to Packwood, and a three hour race event. If you want to stop and take pictures along the way or on the way back there are many pull off areas available with views of the mountains and rivers. FYI there will be limited time for pictures on the drive out there depending on traffic.
  • 8:30AM - Pre-Meet at Krispy Kreme Tacoma parking lot
  • 9:00AM - Roll out to Packwood, WA via HWY 12
  • 11:30AM - Arrive in Packwood
  • 11:30AM to 12:30PM - Registration for autocross, tech inspection of cars, and 86 Sessions meet & greet.
  • 1:00PM - Mandatory driver's meeting to cover site rules, race rules, etc.
  • 1:30PM - Cars on course for heat 3 (approximately 1 & 1/2 hours)
  • 3:00PM - Cars on course for heat 4
  • 4:30PM - Results/Trophies
  • 5:00PM - Return cruise towards Auburn via Cayuse Pass / HWY 410

What is auto-cross?
Autocross is a form of timed racing where drivers navigate a cone-marked 60 second course at speeds of 10-70mph. Times are measured electronically and you compete against the times of other drivers. Penalties are assessed based upon cones hit or gates (pairs of cones/slalom directions) missed. Here's a great video that describes it further:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af2zJAOAqWQ"]What is Autocross? - YouTube[/ame]
We don't use chalk, though.

If you race you also work. This is not optional but the more people we have the easier it is. Autocross is a volunteer driven sport and if you race you also work the event. Most of you will do course work which is simply standing in an area and fixing any cones that are hit. I will be there to explain all work assignments and registration stuff to everyone. If you have any questions ahead of time please direct them my way.

What do I need to do to prep my car?
There are a number of requirements for your car for being able to race and for insurance purposes and your own safety you must follow these:
  1. All drivers must wear a helmet certified under one of the following:
    • SA2015, SA2010, SAH2010, SA2005, SA2000, M2015, M2010, M2005, M2000, K2010, K2005, K90, SFI 31.1, SFI 41.1, SFI 31.1A, SFI 31.2A, SFI 41.1A, SFI 41.2A, British spec BS6658-85 type A/FR. Basic motorcycle helmets with only a DOT rating will not be accepted.
    • Loaner helmets are available on site and must be checked out using a valid driver's license as collateral. We have a limited number of these helmets so if we get a lot of people signed up for this you may need to swap. Anyone who can bring their own is greatly appreciated.
  2. Loose items must be removed or secured within all vehicles. This includes but is not limited to:
    1. Floor mats which are not fastened down
    2. Solid, loose items within the trunk (clothing is generally okay provided it will not touch a battery)
    3. Miscellaneous items resting on seat cushions, in cup holders, or on side doors
  3. The front windshield cannot contain any cracks/stickers that will interfere with the driver's field of vision
  4. Cars may not be leaking oil, coolant, or any other fluids
  5. Car batteries must be firmly fastened
  6. Wheels must be firmly secure (do not shake/move when firmly pushed & pulled on)
  7. Cars must have their number and class clearly presented on the side (painters tape or magnetic numbers is preferable). I will have painters tape available for those of you that need it.
Basically just show up with your car somewhat clean and have your lug nuts torqued. You can remove anything you want at the site and it will be relatively safe (we are known as the friendly region for a reason, things don't get stolen).

If you plan to attend this please let @HATED1 or myself know either on here or on Facebook. We need a minimum of 10 driver's for the racing portion so if you only plan on going to the meet or cruise please make sure to specify that. Please give us your first name and last initial, too.

Attending:
  1. ReducingRadius / Brian B. / #10
  2. slyphen / Jim Z. / #11
  3. Sousuke / Kenia A. / #17
  4. mannie / Mannie (?) S. / #25
  5. TurtleFace / Spencer B. / #42
  6. Andy H. / handyalbert11 / #43
  7. Zerrow / Devon C. / #48
  8. --- / Michio K. / #50
  9. sonic3856 / Joe I. / #56
  10. gtslow / Aaron P. / #111
  11. Brezza / Joey K. / #665
  12. --- / Mathilda K. / #667
  13. goddess / Mandy B. (skipping the cruise portion)
  14. Sammakko / Joel G. (running STX)
  15. Locust / Joey J. (running TOPM)
Tentative:
  1. soulreapersteve
  2. 253BRZ
  3. -

Other:
  1. DanFastBRZ / Dan L. (spectator only)

How to Register:
  1. Navigate to this page: http://new.scorekeeper.wwscc.org/register/nwr2015/
  2. Create a new profile
  3. Click the Cars tab
  4. Select 'Create New Car'
  5. Fill in your vehicle information
  6. Select the car class as '86S - Provisional class for BRZ/FR-S Drivers'
  7. Select a car number (these are unique per class). If you are dual driving, pick a 2 digit number and have your second drive pick a number 100 greater than it (ex: 81 & 181)
  8. Click the Events tab
  9. Register your car under the August 16th event.

Thanks for your time everyone and I really look forward to seeing you all out there!

*** Pre-register at this site: http://new.scorekeeper.wwscc.org/register/nwr2015/ See above for full instructions ***

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:
DSGPerformance Drift Office Evil Apex Racing

Last edited by Locust; 08-14-2015 at 08:56 PM.
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 05:27 PM   #2
RobertPaulson
Hisnamewasrobertpaulson

Drives: 2017 Golf R
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
ha too funny, i was going to attend that autocross event anyway. Put me down for this + my co-pilot (I'm probably going to be there for the morning session)
Old 07-13-2015, 05:31 PM   #3
Locust
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertPaulson View Post
ha too funny, i was going to attend that autocross event anyway. Put me down for this + my co-pilot (I'm probably going to be there for the morning session)
Names, bro!

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:

Old 07-13-2015, 07:22 PM   #4
RobertPaulson
Hisnamewasrobertpaulson

Drives: 2017 Golf R
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
um, i thought it was pretty obvious, Robert and co-pilot Marla. numbers 15 and 115

but we might just be going for the morning session and not stay for the afternoon, depends if we have time to do both.

Last edited by RobertPaulson; 07-20-2015 at 06:45 PM.
RobertPaulson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:21 PM   #5
stockysnail
Just the tip

Drives: 2013 Lightning Red Subaru BRZ Mt Lt
Thanked 1,004 Times in 665 Posts
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Garage
I'm considering it. 5 hours round trip is a long drive. The larger the showing of BRZ/FR-S the more likely I'll be to come. :p
stockysnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 01:25 AM   #6
goddess

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Mandy B.
I pry will meet you down there. I'm not the follow the leader kind of gal. Plus we can take pics at the meet of all our cars.
Sousuke (07-18-2015)
Old 07-14-2015, 02:05 AM   #7
Sammakko
Bilge monkey

Drives: '13 BRZ, 82 starlet
I'm in. Joel G. One last autocross before nationals in Lincoln!
Sammakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:08 AM   #8
sonic3856

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ (Premium)
Joe I.
Also super interested. Ordered wheels in Feb and still waiting. Don't want to get better rubber til they come in, so i hope they'll be here in time for this.
sonic3856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 01:46 PM   #9
Locust
Custom User Title

List updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertPaulson View Post
um, i thought it was pretty obvious, Robert and co-pilot Marla.

but we might just be going for the morning session and not stay for the afternoon, depends if we have time to do both.
Well I don't expect people to want to do car meet at 7AM and then drive out there because, let's face it, it takes some dedication to get out to Packwood by 8:00AM to register & race. If you only do the morning you'll miss the special class running in the afternoon but you can probably catch everyone hanging out for a bit before you take off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockysnail View Post
I'm considering it. 5 hours round trip is a long drive. The larger the showing of BRZ/FR-S the more likely I'll be to come. :p
Have you ever autocrossed before? If not then you'll walk away thinking it was 5 hours well spent.

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:

The Following User Says Thank You to Locust For This Useful Post:
RobertPaulson (07-14-2015)
Old 07-14-2015, 10:05 PM   #10
gtslow

Drives: 2015 Halo FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Joey, add me onto the list. I may drive in early and run time only in the morning unless there are specific prizes for the 86 group in the afternoon ;-).

Aaron P.
gtslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:34 PM   #11
slyphen

Drives: Man
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to slyphen Send a message via Yahoo to slyphen
hey Joey, please sign me up. thanks!
slyphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:20 PM   #12
Locust
Custom User Title

Got you both, thanks. Spread the word please guys!

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:

Old 07-15-2015, 12:41 AM   #13
stockysnail
Just the tip

Drives: 2013 Lightning Red Subaru BRZ Mt Lt
Thanked 1,004 Times in 665 Posts
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
List updated.

Well I don't expect people to want to do car meet at 7AM and then drive out there because, let's face it, it takes some dedication to get out to Packwood by 8:00AM to register & race. If you only do the morning you'll miss the special class running in the afternoon but you can probably catch everyone hanging out for a bit before you take off.

Have you ever autocrossed before? If not then you'll walk away thinking it was 5 hours well spent.
Yes I have. My favorite event so far is the annual Big NW Subie fest as you get 10 runs in and don't need to be a worker, plus all the other stuff going on when not racing. My 2nd favorite was at the Astoria airport but don't remember the club name.
stockysnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 01:57 AM   #14
Locust
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockysnail View Post
Yes I have. My favorite event so far is the annual Big NW Subie fest as you get 10 runs in and don't need to be a worker, plus all the other stuff going on when not racing. My 2nd favorite was at the Astoria airport but don't remember the club name.
Okay cool. Well as you can see the list is up to about 7-9 people after just a day. We also have 5 or 6 FR-S/BRZ drivers who are regulars but don't frequent the forums. You should definitely come out for this. If it's successful I'm hoping to turn it into an annual thing.

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:

The Following User Says Thank You to Locust For This Useful Post:
stockysnail (07-15-2015)