follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 03-21-2022, 10:50 PM   #4467
ABQautoxer

Drives: 2021 Supra / 2022 Tundra
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Today I finished my SC install along with BT's remote map kit. No leaks or issues on the test drive datalog so I'm hoping to get a clean bill of health and start turning up the fun in the tune soon.
B T (03-22-2022), BrahmaBull1990 (03-22-2022), CSG Mike (03-22-2022), Dadhawk (03-22-2022), dpfarr (03-22-2022), GPhilly (06-02-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 07:27 AM   #4468
aKaGorganZola

Drives: 2017 BRZ Series. Yellow
Garage
Congrats man!
aKaGorganZola is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aKaGorganZola For This Useful Post:
ABQautoxer (03-22-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 08:56 PM   #4469
BrahmaBull1990
Howdy

Drives: 2020 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Got the car back! I had a leak at the catch-can outlet hose to the SC. The new JDL 4-2-1 header was installed as well. I’m ready for Spring!
There's a point at 7,000 RPM... where everything fades. The machine becomes weightless. Just disappears. And all that's left is a body moving through space and time. 7,000 RPM. That's where you meet it. You feel it coming. It creeps up on you, close in your ear. Asks you a question. The only question that matters. Who are you?
BrahmaBull1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrahmaBull1990 For This Useful Post:
Auto_egr (03-22-2022), CSG Mike (03-23-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 01:44 PM   #4470
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Haven't had the car for 2 years now, but still following along. If I had it all to do over I would:

Headers right away - the precat started to melt after a couple months.
No dBox (I don't know if they even make it any more?), use the remote map kit right off the bat
No catch cans (I don't track and they were always empty, just extra money and more chances of leaks)
Change the vacuum line for the bypass actuator from the boost side of the SC to the intake side. I know the new ones are beefier, but there is zero reason to put boost into that actuator diaphragm.

If I had done all that on day one I would have just had a lovely experience instead of doing R&D work for 14 of the 18 months I had it on the car.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to toast For This Useful Post:
ABQautoxer (03-23-2022), B T (03-24-2022), LRNAD90 (04-28-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 02:13 PM   #4471
ABQautoxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toast View Post
Haven't had the car for 2 years now, but still following along. If I had it all to do over I would:

No dBox (I don't know if they even make it any more?), use the remote map kit right off the bat
No catch cans (I don't track and they were always empty, just extra money and more chances of leaks)
Change the vacuum line for the bypass actuator from the boost side of the SC to the intake side. I know the new ones are beefier, but there is zero reason to put boost into that actuator diaphragm.

If I had done all that on day one I would have just had a lovely experience instead of doing R&D work for 14 of the 18 months I had it on the car.
I was going to put off my header but decided to do it now to save the retune fee. The rest of my exhaust is stock (on purpose to be quiet). I will now wonder how much I'm giving up doing that but not sure it would get me to make it much louder. I had a full exhaust STX twin a long time ago and don't want that again.
Old 03-23-2022, 04:28 PM   #4472
Jons999

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm.brz View Post
Your tuner is not aware apparently that ZA1JK00C tunes , with any racerom patch available in the last 3 years, is EXTREMELY BUGGED

It's pretty obvious on the logs, like the PI% forced to 100% when off throttle. That's one of the many bugs your tune is full of.

You will never get rid of problems untill you keep using a K00C with racerom patch.

Already the fact your local tuner didn't notice this and let you out of his garage with an extremely bugged rom, says A LOT

K00C cars need to be force-flashed to euro K00G.. or someother newer Usa roms, maybe they are less bugged, but so it is. Good luck
Is this an issue with just aftermarket tunes or is this happening on the edelbrock supplied tune for the K00c ecus? Have a car dumping fuel on one cylinder but was running fine for a long time with no changes to the tune.
Jons999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 04:47 PM   #4473
Auto_egr

Drives: 2017 CWP BRZ w/PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Where did you route the vacuum line for the bypass valve? Did you T off from one of the CCV/PCV lines?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Auto_egr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 06:53 PM   #4474
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto_egr View Post
Where did you route the vacuum line for the bypass valve? Did you T off from one of the CCV/PCV lines?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I tee'd the line going to the brake booster.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toast For This Useful Post:
Auto_egr (03-23-2022), B T (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 02:56 AM   #4475
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,067 Times in 775 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jons999 View Post
Is this an issue with just aftermarket tunes or is this happening on the edelbrock supplied tune for the K00c ecus? Have a car dumping fuel on one cylinder but was running fine for a long time with no changes to the tune.
This is an issue with ALL K00C tunes with ecutek and racerom applied, so not Edelbrock's fault, it s just because they are using ecutek

There are tunes affected but the K00c is one of the most bugged
You can instantly spot it checking the fuel PI to Di ratio, going to 100% PI during idle instead of 0%
It also messe with the fuel compensation on boost and so indirectly will require an offset to the maf scaling
Generally it will be never smooth and the tuning is always approximate.. but many tuner like to be ultrapaid and be approximate,, to not even have a clue on what s going on in the tune and not notice is full of bugs
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 08:50 AM   #4476
B T

Drives: 15 BRZ, 2003 MR2, '70 Elky, 06 TBSS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
I tee'd the line going to the brake booster.
Same thing I've done. If anyone needs the size of that tee, it's a 3/8"x1/4"x3/8". I ordered one here. Unfortunately it's not the one I provide with my kit but will work with it. Stupidly pricey for such a minor part. If anyone can find a good price for a larger quantity, I may be able to provide them in the kit.
B T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 03:22 PM   #4477
B T

Drives: 15 BRZ, 2003 MR2, '70 Elky, 06 TBSS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Good news, new batch of remote maps supposedly shipped my way today.
B T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to B T For This Useful Post:
aKaGorganZola (03-27-2022), Auto_egr (03-24-2022), BrahmaBull1990 (03-25-2022)
Old 03-29-2022, 02:14 AM   #4478
Mr_Eyo

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B T View Post
Response from Zach Tucker - "You can run both, but there wouldn't be any benefit to doing so. In fact, I'd say running the D-Box draws its own cons since I believe it to inherently apply a minor MAF voltage shift in addition to the smoothing factor."
Funny Zach says this. I've been suspecting the D-box uses a simple low pass filter based on published MAP plots and the fact that my car doesn't seem to handle sudden throttle transients well. Any kind of filtering introduces lag. If you're looking at time plots that are ramps (e.g. during WOT pulls), a steady time lag due to filtering is going to look like a vertical offset. At steady state (e.g. idle) there isn't much lag on the filter output, so there will be an observable difference between the implied airflow physics of the MAF and MAP readings between idle and WOT pulls. If the D-box is indeed implementing low pass filtering, the MAF should be trusted. In other words, it isn't being offset by the D-box.

I've been wanting to get rid of mine and go the remote MAP sensor route, but looks like just missed a big group buy... . My D-box is also part of my flex fuel kit that I kind of want to keep, so I'm not sure what my best course of action is.
Mr_Eyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 03:40 AM   #4479
dpfarr

Drives: BRZ ts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Eyo View Post
Funny Zach says this. I've been suspecting the D-box uses a simple low pass filter based on published MAP plots and the fact that my car doesn't seem to handle sudden throttle transients well. Any kind of filtering introduces lag. If you're looking at time plots that are ramps (e.g. during WOT pulls), a steady time lag due to filtering is going to look like a vertical offset. At steady state (e.g. idle) there isn't much lag on the filter output, so there will be an observable difference between the implied airflow physics of the MAF and MAP readings between idle and WOT pulls. If the D-box is indeed implementing low pass filtering, the MAF should be trusted. In other words, it isn't being offset by the D-box.

I've been wanting to get rid of mine and go the remote MAP sensor route, but looks like just missed a big group buy... . My D-box is also part of my flex fuel kit that I kind of want to keep, so I'm not sure what my best course of action is.
Same boat man. It’s not perfect, but I’m not willing to dump more into redoing my flex fuel in order to get the benefit off not having the d box.
dpfarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 12:48 PM   #4480
ABQautoxer

So far I'm a week after install and still no issues. I guess I got lucky on my air bubbles in the LTR because I have not add to add much more than half a surge tank worth. Tune is super OE like (CSG). It's really an amazing experience when you realize just how OE it does feel. I do live a mile above sea level so I do want a bit more power as my other car spoils me a bit so I'm planning on flex fuel soonish.