follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 08-17-2014, 11:21 AM   #1
Joakim3

Drives: 04' Saab 9-5 Aero
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Custom Front/Rear Bumpers (Design stage)

So I was goofing around in some 3D modeling programs and came up with well .......this (I did a rear bumper edit as well)

Two weeks later and this has had me thinking... Why not go the distance and put this mental conception of exotica into physical from? Now heres were the problems arise...

A) I know how to used CAD (wether its Rhino, Cheetah 3D, Autodesk etc..) but obviously I don't have access to the base OEM Front Bumper file to edit, thus attempting to do a rough fit is a no-no (even if theres free CAD files that are close).. For these type of things one need OEM or pretty much nothing else -.-

B) Manufacturing is the next biggy. I know there are 3D printing machines but those tend to be expensive for well... a college student, but then I could always go the optimistic route and see if a shop that has access to OEM CAD files, would make the bumper and not charge me a kidney & lung to afford it..

C) Probably going to cost a hefty penny....

Thoughts on this guys and or gals? Any constructive input wether it be negative or positive is more than welcome

You know what they say... pick two: cheap, fast, reliable.

Last edited by Joakim3; 08-18-2014 at 01:06 AM.
Joakim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:29 AM   #2
ericmpena

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Cool idea. However, I feel that the FT-1 bumper has a theme with the rest of the FT-1 prototype. This bumper on a Twin would look a little out of place IMO.

Interested to see if someone could photoshop this. Might provide a better idea of how it could look in person.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:35 AM   #3
FirestormFRS

Drives: 2013 FR-S
I seriously doubt any shop has the OEM CAD files. That sorta stuff is pretty valuable to the OEM. You could CMM a new bumper and there ya go no cad needed. That'd be hella expensive though not like mom and pop shops have CMM's.
FirestormFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:35 AM   #4
Joakim3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmpena View Post
Cool idea. However, I feel that the FT-1 bumper has a theme with the rest of the FT-1 prototype. This bumper on a Twin would look a little out of place IMO.

Interested to see if someone could photoshop this. Might provide a better idea of how it could look in person.
Id think of it as the FT-1's bastard little brother lol

Old 08-17-2014, 12:06 PM   #5
Gunman

Drives: 2019 Mazda Miata RF
Thanked 1,317 Times in 736 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirestormFRS View Post
I seriously doubt any shop has the OEM CAD files. That sorta stuff is pretty valuable to the OEM. You could CMM a new bumper and there ya go no cad needed. That'd be hella expensive though not like mom and pop shops have CMM's.
SEMA offers Toyota and Scion data thru their Tech Transfer program, so data for the FR-S and GT86 might be available to aftermarket vendors. At past jobs, I've worked with OEM data from Chevy and Ford, thru this program, but you need a manufacturer membership.

Laser scan could be done too, which would create an IGES, but there is always a margin of error. Romer/Faro arm point cloud would leave even more margin of error, but I've worked with that before too.

Last option, clay up what you want, then pull a "splash" mold off of that, and make your part from there.
Gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:17 PM   #6
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Looks surprisingly better than I would have expected. The rest of the car needs some work though to make it flow well. Interested to see what the rear you came up with looks like.
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:17 PM   #7
Joakim3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunman View Post
SEMA offers Toyota and Scion data thru their Tech Transfer program, so data for the FR-S and GT86 might be available to aftermarket vendors. At past jobs, I've worked with OEM data from Chevy and Ford, thru this program, but you need a manufacturer membership.

Laser scan could be done too, which would create an IGES, but there is always a margin of error. Romer/Faro arm point cloud would leave even more margin of error, but I've worked with that before too.

Last option, clay up what you want, then pull a "splash" mold off of that, and make your part from there.
Yeah I read SEMA has manufacturing memberships, but since I'm not with a company that makes parts, I doubt they'd give me access unless I was planning on selling the bumper as a vendor (not that I wouldn't be opposed to it)

In regards to the splash mold, you mean like taking the bumper off molding most of it and then claying the sections that would be different?

Old 08-17-2014, 12:34 PM   #8
NWFRS

Drives: ‘13 FRS
Thanked 1,502 Times in 634 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
I like it!

But I just can't help being reminded of something...

NWFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:46 PM   #9
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
This is like people putting BMW lights and grilles on their Civic.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:09 PM   #10
Joakim3

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven1231 View Post
Looks surprisingly better than I would have expected. The rest of the car needs some work though to make it flow well. Interested to see what the rear you came up with looks like.
Yeah I didn't want to do an exact carbon copy but more of get the same overall "look" more in lines of how BMW's M car's or Benz's AMG's have a similar fronts with slight differences

In regards to the rear. I decided to keep it simplistic (as I like the lines of the rear bumper) to only remove the "plastic diffuser" and replace it with a functional one as well as LED reverse and brake lights.

This being said... One would need to cut the plastic diffuser off and as well as a get a custom cat-back (I may change the design for the latter reason as then money starts piling up). The tips are the same width apart, but sit up ~2 inches vertically as the diffuser covers the ENTIRE underside of the rear bumper

The diffuser would simply be attach to the underbody chassis like the Driveway Labs V1/V2, so building it would be cake walk compare to the front bumper

The Following User Says Thank You to Joakim3 For This Useful Post:
jack43 (08-17-2014)
Old 08-17-2014, 01:12 PM   #11
Joakim3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
This is like people putting BMW lights and grilles on their Civic.
But this is the same brand of car..... so that statement kinda doesn't hold weight

This is quit literally the equivalent of someone getting a m5/m3 styled body kit for their 1 series

Old 08-17-2014, 01:16 PM   #12
Gunman

Drives: 2019 Mazda Miata RF
Thanked 1,317 Times in 736 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Yeah I read SEMA has manufacturing memberships, but since I'm not with a company that makes parts, I doubt they'd give me access unless I was planning on selling the bumper as a vendor (not that I wouldn't be opposed to it)

In regards to the splash mold, you mean like taking the bumper off molding most of it and then claying the sections that would be different?
You could do it that way. You could leave the bumper on the car, do your clay sculpting, and then splash it. Either way, you'll need the bumper supported, so that it doesn't deform from the clay, or the fiberglass being used for the mould. Nothing worse than having the weight of the mould itself deform the plastic, and you end up with a big depression in the new part. Some will make the splash, pull a new "heavy" (thick fiberglass with wood supports) part, aka a pattern, so that it won't deform. Then do their clay work, correct any other issues, and pull a new mould (again, heavy so it doesn't deform).
Gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:16 PM   #13
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Yeah I didn't want to do an exact carbon copy but more of get the same overall "look" more in lines of how BMW's M car's or Benz's AMG's have a similar fronts with slight differences

In regards to the rear. I decided to keep it simplistic (as I like the lines of the rear bumper) to only remove the "plastic diffuser" and replace it with a functional one as well as LED reverse and brake lights.

This being said... One would need to cut the plastic diffuser off and as well as a get a custom cutback (I may change the design for the latter reason). The tips are the same width apart, but sit up ~2 inches vertically as the diffuser covers the ENTIRE underside of the rear bumper

Making the diffuser is completely doable almost immediately as it can simply be attached to the underbody chassis like the Driveway Labs V1/V2
Looks awesome! wonder if the diffuser could be integrated into the rear bumper while still remaining functional. What I mean is instead of cutting the stock one just replace it with the new integrated bumper.
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:25 PM   #14
Joakim3

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven1231 View Post
Looks awesome! wonder if the diffuser could be integrated into the rear bumper while still remaining functional. What I mean is instead of cutting the stock one just replace it with the new integrated bumper.
I'd need OEM CAD files for that like the Front Bumper then.

With a bolt on diffuser you have the benefit of being able to take it off in ~5 minutes (especially if your playing around with different exhaust) opposed to half an hour+ with the entire rear bumper

Oh.. and price