follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 11-09-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
brillo

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Small Oil Leak under center of engine?

So I noticed today that under the car after it being parked for a few days a small oil spot on my garage floor. The spot appears to be under the middle rear of the engine from what i can see. There is alot of underbody cladding under the engine but its under the aluminum piece. I know the spot is new since I cleaned the garage floor last weekend from some oil that spilled when I changed the oil a month or so back.

The car has 3,900 miles, the engine bay is nearly stock other than my oil cooler but that is in a totally different area of the engine bay and no where close to the spot I'm seeing (unless the oil migrates and then dripped).

I know about the leaky plate issue on the passenger side and that doesn't seem to be the issue.

What could be leaking? everything looks fine under the hood, I'm going to get under there good tomorrow when I replace my pads to take a better look around but this has me sorta concerned.

Appreciate ideas on what could be the issue.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
brillo

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
it occurred to me that the leak could be from the pan bolt, I reused the crush washer and perhaps I should put a new one on? My oil levels are fine (I check every fill up).
Old 11-09-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
Shagaliscious
Banned

Drives: Firestorm FR-S (MT)
Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,166 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Could be this issue.

There is a fix for it here.

Edit, yea, reusing a crush washer could be causing it.
Shagaliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #4
Suberman
Banned

Drives: Subaru BRZ Sport Tech Satin White
Quote:
Originally Posted by brillo View Post
it occurred to me that the leak could be from the pan bolt, I reused the crush washer and perhaps I should put a new one on? My oil levels are fine (I check every fill up).
If it's the crush washer the drain plug will be wet with oil. ALWAYS fit a new crush washer. The old one might work but, of course then again it might not. That's why pros always use a new one.
Suberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:31 PM   #5
Stryker

Drives: 2000 Subaru Forester
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suberman View Post
If it's the crush washer the drain plug will be wet with oil. ALWAYS fit a new crush washer. The old one might work but, of course then again it might not. That's why pros always use a new one.
I've never understood why people don't just use a new one every time. I went to my dealer and asked to get some and they handed me a handful of them and told me they were free of charge.

Even if they did cost money I think they're like $0.63 each...
Old 11-09-2013, 09:46 PM   #6
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,819 Times in 16,427 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brillo View Post
That would be the first place I would check ....

Back in the day, I used "crush washers" over and over and over ..... and never saw a leak .... maybe because there were so many other things dripping and leaking, I didn't ever notice.... ?? .....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:52 PM   #7
Suberman
Banned

Drives: Subaru BRZ Sport Tech Satin White
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
That would be the first place I would check ....

Back in the day, I used "crush washers" over and over and over ..... and never saw a leak .... maybe because there were so many other things dripping and leaking, I didn't ever notice.... ?? .....

humfrz
I too reused crush washers. However, they were copper not aluminum. One car I owned used reinforced resin plastic or perhaps nylon crush washers. They didn't crush and didn't leak even if reused repeatedly.

Modern drain plugs use aluminum crush washers. They are intended for one crush only. If you reuse one and it doesn't leak consider yourself lucky.

Engine manufacturers are returning to cartridge oil filters and starting to design engined for top only oil changes. Drain plug and oil filter leaks or seized oil filters are continual problems for service personnel.
Suberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Suberman For This Useful Post:
humfrz (11-10-2013)