follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-14-2011, 01:57 PM   #253
BanningFT
SeX

Drives: 06' Nismo Frontier, 06' xB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
IDK bout 300zx, but Supra? Really? Did I read it correctly? Supra? Which Supra? I know for sure you aren't talking bout MkIV. Cuz US MkIV Supra never came w VVT-i while Japanese ver did. There are several more better features did JP ver did came, but I'll let Supra owner judge on that
Yeah this is a little late and OT, but you are just plain wrong. The US MKIV Supra was offered with vvti. How do I know? I owned one, and it was not a jdm swap. It was stock off the lot

MB 06' Nismo VQ40DE
BanningFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:59 PM   #254
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macavely View Post
So you don't like the look of those cars.. thats your right to like or dis like the car based on looks.. and as for under powered. you hit it right on the head... small engines for good gas ..

if you can't respect that then you might not be a car person ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolToys View Post
What are you talking about? This isn't a forum for Prius' and Insights. Its a forum (mostly) filled with racing enthusiasts. We don't respect car's for being gas savers, unless said gas savers are engineered for spirited driving and said gas saving doesn't come at the expense of making the engine feel like you got a boulder under the hood that won't respond to your input and takes 5 years to reach 3k RPM.
^

Macavely, when Honda introduced Acura, they did it with a performance aspect in mind, the NSX! How did Toyota introduce Scion... on a website aimed at 8-15 yrs and to new buyers who are not familar with Toyota.

There is nothing that screams performance when it comes to Scion b/c that wasn't their original intention. Now they are trying to introduce "performance" now... It's a little too late for that, the stigma is already set!

And about me not being a car person!?! I've been into cars way before you were a spec on your moma's chin homie!
Old 04-14-2011, 02:00 PM   #255
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanningFT View Post
Yeah this is a little late and OT, but you are just plain wrong. The US MKIV Supra was offered with vvti. How do I know? I owned one, and it was not a jdm swap. It was stock off the lot
Then you owned the very rare '98 model that was sold for only half a year. That's the only MY that came to U.S. with the updated trim and options. Was unaware it came with the VVT-i 2JZ though. Pretty sure the GTE didn't have it though.
OldSkoolToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:04 PM   #256
Dragonitti
Banned

Drives: Boosted Scion tC, 350z
Quote:
I'm come to realize that with the FT-86 being a low volume car, that most dealers won't see a whole lot of them at any given point...meaning a waiting list....meaning dealer markup because other turds will pay the premium to have it first.

Scion can't do that.

When I worked at a yota dealership there was a waiting list for the tC of buyers who were set on buying the car. Everyone paid the same price though.

People don't understand that the no haggle is there to help them.

Something I just thought about. Why the Toyota Purist say nothing about the engine. It's not powered by a Toyota engine, yet no one is upset about that. LOL...some might even go as far to say it's not even a Toyota since it has a less than reliable (compared to Toyota motors) Subaru powerplant in it.

Your ready to shoot over a badge and claim dilution of branding, but the engine isn't even a Toyota engine, but that's ok. I would much rather have a Toyota powerplant.
Dragonitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:11 PM   #257
zigzagz94
BRZerhood Lurker #13

Drives: 15 DGM BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm come to realize that with the FT-86 being a low volume car, that most dealers won't see a whole lot of them at any given point...meaning a waiting list....meaning dealer markup because other turds will pay the premium to have it first.

Scion can't do that.

When I worked at a yota dealership there was a waiting list for the tC of buyers who were set on buying the car. Everyone paid the same price though.

I see your point. I just think that as long as you don't have to be an early adopter and can wait 6 months to a year then you'll be able to negotiate a Subie version cheaper.

Especially since the current crop of Subaru designers are hot garbage and the Subie will probably be ugly as sin.
zigzagz94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:20 PM   #258
cyde01
ft86club resident b-boy

Drives: Yamaha R3, moonslate 2018 GT Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
It's not powered by a Toyota engine, yet no one is upset about that. LOL...some might even go as far to say it's not even a Toyota since it has a less than reliable (compared to Toyota motors) Subaru powerplant in it.
actually quite a few were upset about that, for proof you can go to the club4ag forums or the engine and drivetrain section of this forum.

regardless, this is irrelevant, because subaru flat-fours have inherent engineering advantages to them. the scion badge does not.
cyde01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:21 PM   #259
NESW20
2.1L 3SGTE

Drives: MR2 Turbo & Tacoma
Quote:
People don't understand that the no haggle is there to help them.

Something I just thought about. Why the Toyota Purist say nothing about the engine. It's not powered by a Toyota engine, yet no one is upset about that. LOL...some might even go as far to say it's not even a Toyota since it has a less than reliable (compared to Toyota motors) Subaru powerplant in it.

Your ready to shoot over a badge and claim dilution of branding, but the engine isn't even a Toyota engine, but that's ok. I would much rather have a Toyota powerplant.
hopefully Toyota (and Yamaha) had a hand in designing the engine for the FT. or at least the heads. give it 11.5:1CR, D4S, solid reliability, and i'll be happy.
2008 Civic Si Sedan
NESW20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:24 PM   #260
Dragonitti
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyde01 View Post
actually quite a few were upset about that, for proof you can go to the club4ag forums or the engine and drivetrain section of this forum.

regardless, this is irrelevant, because subaru flat-fours have inherent engineering advantages to them. the scion badge does not.

I for one am one of those people, but I was more focusing on this forum/thread here of all the "It's about Toyota Heritage" people. I don't see them creating a petition for replacing the engine. It's a petition for replacing a badge...lol. So, as much as they would like to pass this off as "it's about the Toyota purity and getting to it's roots", it's really a displeasure for the cars "image". Has nothing to do with history. If those people were that pure, they would be putting in more energy into getting a Toyota powerplant. Not pissed about a completely different companies heart beat, but you are pissed about being branded as a sibling to Toyota. The sibling is Toyota. I get it now...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by NESW20 View Post
hopefully Toyota (and Yamaha) had a hand in designing the engine for the FT. or at least the heads. give it 11.5:1CR, D4S, solid reliability, and i'll be happy.

I would prefer not to be to high on the compression. As long as it holds the boost and has that Toyota reliability, I'm good.... Guess we shall see.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:30 PM   #261
-TokenSX-

Drives: Nissan Silvia
Haha yea this is starting to sound like when the Eagle Talons came out back in the day from 1995-1999 they had two choices the 4g63T 2.0L that was made by mitsubishi and the 2.0L 420a motor that was made by Chrysler/Dodge, so basically in a Mitsubishi eclipse you had an option of a 4g63T or a 420a chrysler motor which was stupid in my opinion : D
-TokenSX- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:37 PM   #262
cyde01
ft86club resident b-boy

Drives: Yamaha R3, moonslate 2018 GT Black
Quote:
I for one am one of those people, but I was more focusing on this forum/thread here of all the "It's about Toyota Heritage" people. I don't see them creating a petition for replacing the engine. It's a petition for replacing a badge...lol. So, as much as they would like to pass this off as "it's about the Toyota purity and getting to it's roots", it's really a displeasure for the cars "image". Has nothing to do with history.
of course, you ignored the perfectly good point i made that the subaru engine has inherent engineering advantages. branding it a scion doesn't. yes, i am displeased at the brand's image. that's what everyone's been saying all along. so what is so wrong about that?
cyde01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:38 PM   #263
BanningFT
SeX

Drives: 06' Nismo Frontier, 06' xB
Quote:
Then you owned the very rare '98 model that was sold for only half a year. That's the only MY that came to U.S. with the updated trim and options. Was unaware it came with the VVT-i 2JZ though. Pretty sure the GTE didn't have it though.

Yup 98 auto N/A nice car, but the insurance payments, killed me, and the police flashed me everywhere I drove.

MB 06' Nismo VQ40DE
BanningFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:43 PM   #264
Dragonitti
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyde01 View Post
of course, you ignored the perfectly good point i made that the subaru engine has inherent engineering advantages. branding it a scion doesn't. yes, i am displeased at the brand's image. that's what everyone's been saying all along. so what is so wrong about that?

Did you see I mentioned it doesn't have the "reliability" stigma associated with it compared to a Toyota? Sorry, I'll take a Toyota reliable motor over some dudes opinion on the badge on the front of the car. You are saying you would rather have a less reliable motor just so you don't have to see the branding of Scion. Can't agree with that myself. Much rather have a reliable Toyota plant in it.

I think you overlooked what I was saying because I didn't say you were wrong for not liking the image. I was conveying that imo...the "purist" are not about "being purist". They are pretending that, that's what it's about, when it's about the image. Just saying, keep it real...If it's about the image, then be about that. But don't come back with it being about Toyota history, cause it's not even running a Toyota motor.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:45 PM   #265
NESW20
2.1L 3SGTE

Drives: MR2 Turbo & Tacoma
Quote:
I would prefer not to be to high on the compression. As long as it holds the boost and has that Toyota reliability, I'm good.... Guess we shall see.
i realize that it might not like as much boost if it has that high of a CR, but i really don't want to modify my engine, and i know you do (or at least turbo it, which is more work than i want to do to begin with, haha). soooo, would it be fair for me to ask for 11.5:1 if there's a readily available solution for lower CR for people who want boost?

could always get out the angle grinder and make your own low-CR pistons?

2008 Civic Si Sedan
NESW20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:50 PM   #266
Dragonitti
Banned

Please keep that dude away from any of my tools and engines. Wow, that was a first for me. I would have NEVER thought someone would think that was a good idea.