follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 12-14-2016, 06:30 PM   #85
Mo7ammed

Drives: 2015 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by olsonpg View Post
I think the moral of that story is that Joe working out of his hut in Lower Slobbovia is doing gods work. God bless Joe and men like him.
More pictures of the end result?
Mo7ammed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 04:43 PM   #86
Soloside
-Phil's BIGGEST FAN BOI

Drives: 2014 Greddy Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
why JDM when you can eBayDM
Soloside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 11:51 PM   #87
Irace86
Banned

Drives: BRZ + Ducati M796
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo7ammed View Post
More pictures of the end result?
Pictures of replica kits?
Irace86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 05:12 PM   #88
Mo7ammed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86 View Post
Pictures of replica kits?
Yeah
Old 12-25-2016, 12:05 AM   #89
Irace86
Banned

Garage
Quote:
Yeah
Just installed the side skirts n rear spats. The car is filthy n these are not great pics but here they are, Bayson R STI replica and Amazon replica rear diffuser. Bare polyurethane at $350ish out the door:

Old 12-25-2016, 11:48 AM   #90
Mo7ammed

Quote:
Just installed the side skirts n rear spats. The car is filthy n these are not great pics but here they are, Bayson R STI replica and Amazon replica rear diffuser. Bare polyurethane at $350ish out the door:

What do you think the fitment is like in person?
Looks good from the pictures
Old 12-25-2016, 07:34 PM   #91
Irace86
Banned

Garage
Quote:
What do you think the fitment is like in person?
Looks good from the pictures
I can't really compare to the OEM piece because I haven't seen it. I don't know if the OEM piece has texture that this one lacks; I don't know if the back edges are cut to the same tolerances or if the fitment is similar.

What I can say is that the fit is 9/10 from my subject perspective. Why not 10 out of 10? Some pieces wrap around the edges with a curved cut that is not perfect, nor is the length perfect, but I'm talking millimeters off, if it is off. With the added weatherstripping, any small gaps are practically non-existent or are non-existent, and if not, it can only be seen if you are closer than a few feet away.

The big thing is that the supplied 3m (or 3m style) tape is only enough for a single layer when it can take two or three layers. I bought more for the spats and side skirts than what was supplied, but that was worth the savings.

Does that help?

PS Polyurethane is easily manipulated with some heat, so minor fitment issues should be manageable.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:54 PM   #92
80what

Drives: scion frs
Quote:
Originally Posted by olsonpg View Post
I would hold off as i'm having Ikons replica kit installed this week and i'll have more info on how the install went when i get back from my business trip (if your still on the fence that is).

I did a dry fit and everything seemed top notch.

Do you have insatgram
80what is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:16 PM   #93
olsonpg

Drives: BRZ. R34 GT-T
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80what View Post
Do you have insatgram
I don't have a car instagram. But i've been getting asked by a bunch of people if I have one so I think i'll be making one soon. Cars going into VEX motorsports in Calgary to drop a full-race twin scroll turbo on top of a built engine here shortly. So once the car is complete i think i'll make an IG and maybe do a build thread too.

I'll def keep this thread posted.
DustinS (02-15-2017), Nsot (02-27-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 11:55 PM   #94
Dru670

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'll be getting this kit from Ikon someday IDGAF what anyone says. If it needs some work then well work will be done to get to fit right, big frgn deal.
Dru670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:46 PM   #95
joexjoex44

Drives: Sarina
Garage
How has this kit held up? Made of abs plastic right?
Any chattering between the pieces?
joexjoex44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:05 PM   #96
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
I can't really compare to the OEM piece because I haven't seen it. I don't know if the OEM piece has texture that this one lacks; I don't know if the back edges are cut to the same tolerances or if the fitment is similar.

What I can say is that the fit is 9/10 from my subject perspective. Why not 10 out of 10? Some pieces wrap around the edges with a curved cut that is not perfect, nor is the length perfect, but I'm talking millimeters off, if it is off. With the added weatherstripping, any small gaps are practically non-existent or are non-existent, and if not, it can only be seen if you are closer than a few feet away.

The big thing is that the supplied 3m (or 3m style) tape is only enough for a single layer when it can take two or three layers. I bought more for the spats and side skirts than what was supplied, but that was worth the savings.

Does that help?

PS Polyurethane is easily manipulated with some heat, so minor fitment issues should be manageable.
OH yes the fitment must be amazing!
Old 05-04-2017, 03:19 PM   #97
drummerboy121494

Drives: 10 Series FR-S
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
OH yes the fitment must be amazing!

Why do people get so heated? Yes, TRA Kyoto and Kei Miura spent a lot of time and resources creating this, but I can almost guarantee you that they were aware that there would be knockoffs.. there product probably has a much more consistent fit and finish, the knockoffs probably not.. also these aren't being knocked off by dudes in there backyard or even small companies. It is the bigger companies that are doing it and they are mass producing them because they have the resources to do so, for very cheap. Duraflex is a very notable one, they are WAY bigger than TRA Kyoto (at least before TRA Kyoto started picking up followers and fans). But knock offs are just a part of the industry, people who want something purely for looks and aren't very concerned with customer service or the (possible) hassle of installing a slightly off product, are obviously going to purchase the less expensive option. People who want there aero to work well and all conform to a standard and have good service when needed, will buy authentic because it wont be worth the hassle of the cheaper kit. Either way the brand who ORIGINALLY designed/created the product will be recognized and grow. they will not go out of business because there is always going to be a demand for quality and authenticity. likewise there will always be demand for price point and aesthetics. Point being people will buy what they want and this argument is really unnecessary.
drummerboy121494 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drummerboy121494 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-04-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 03:49 PM   #98
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerboy121494 View Post
Why do people get so heated? Yes, TRA Kyoto and Kei Miura spent a lot of time and resources creating this, but I can almost guarantee you that they were aware that there would be knockoffs.. there product probably has a much more consistent fit and finish, the knockoffs probably not.. also these aren't being knocked off by dudes in there backyard or even small companies. It is the bigger companies that are doing it and they are mass producing them because they have the resources to do so, for very cheap. Duraflex is a very notable one, they are WAY bigger than TRA Kyoto (at least before TRA Kyoto started picking up followers and fans). But knock offs are just a part of the industry, people who want something purely for looks and aren't very concerned with customer service or the (possible) hassle of installing a slightly off product, are obviously going to purchase the less expensive option. People who want there aero to work well and all conform to a standard and have good service when needed, will buy authentic because it wont be worth the hassle of the cheaper kit. Either way the brand who ORIGINALLY designed/created the product will be recognized and grow. they will not go out of business because there is always going to be a demand for quality and authenticity. likewise there will always be demand for price point and aesthetics. Point being people will buy what they want and this argument is really unnecessary.

The point still needs to be made. I have been in the tier one auto parts manufacturing business for almost 30 years. I have watched plants close and people be thrown out of work for half of that as the work goes to some emerging country or another. All while listening to the latest couple of generations whine and cry about there being no jobs and how we "ruined" everything for them as they place another Ebay order to some guy.
Sure there will be people that buy cheap knock off stuff. There always was and always will be somebody stealing designs but that does not mean that it has to be accepted as the norm and even glorified as "just as good". The voice against such crap should be heard as loudly as that for it. Should we all just sit back and say "oh well that is just the way it is"? Funny how when people speak in favour they are entitled to their opinion but anybody that speaks against it is over reacting in some manner.
I am under no delusion that anybody that has to scrimp and save to by a cheap knockoff will listen nor care what I say but I will still say it.
Raven86Project (11-15-2020)