follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 02-26-2014, 11:30 AM   #1
xRavenFRSx

Drives: 2014 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's VS Summer tires

The shop whos helped me with my last 3 trucks is not able to get me any summer tires in 245/35/18, theyre telling me they don't have the Hankook Ventus V12's or comparable anywhere to order from. So they said its pretty much Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's or nothing. Ive also been told by several people that the A/S 3's are on par with most Summer tires as far as handling. I live in a place that doesn't see below 35*F/2*C all year. Has anyone had experience with the A/S 3's? Or should I ditch the shop ive been loyal to and find someone who can get me the Hankooks?
xRavenFRSx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:58 AM   #2
xRavenFRSx

Never got an answer to this, so I went ahead and got them. I cant really compare them to another tire without have tried the tires on the same car. But they definitely grip and feel like the summer tires ive tried on other cars. Great wet traction, I had them down poorly paved backroads in the rain yesterday and they felt awesome. Roads should be dried up by this afternoon and I can post back on how they do.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:22 AM   #3
Bg8780

Drives: '13 Black Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I've been looking into these for awhile. I frequently travel between the North and South East so I was looking for something that could handle the cold and light snow but still be great in the summer down south. Literally everything I have read about that have been great reviews and they seem to be an amazing tire with very little compromise. M detailer runs these on his 535i GT and he likes them. He claims they are great in all conditions. Being in Atl, GA it doesn't get too cold here either.

I think you got stuck with a great tire. Keep us posted on the performance and if there are any issues. This is still a new tire so I'm curious how it wears and feels later down the road.
Bg8780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:37 AM   #4
xRavenFRSx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bg8780 View Post
I've been looking into these for awhile. I frequently travel between the North and South East so I was looking for something that could handle the cold and light snow but still be great in the summer down south. Literally everything I have read about that have been great reviews and they seem to be an amazing tire with very little compromise. M detailer runs these on his 535i GT and he likes them. He claims they are great in all conditions. Being in Atl, GA it doesn't get too cold here either.

I think you got stuck with a great tire. Keep us posted on the performance and if there are any issues. This is still a new tire so I'm curious how it wears and feels later down the road.
Will do. They have a 45,000 Mile warranty whereas most other Michelins have a 30,000 mile one so I can assume for now it has decent wear life. As far as light snow, from what ive been reading around these don't do well in snow and ice. I see a lot of people saying its more of a Summer tire trying to claim A/S performance than an A/S tire trying to claim Summer performance. The title they seem to have been given is 3-season tire.

And I forgot to add above, so far I'll say they are somewhat noisy. Theres a lot more road noise than the Summer and A/S tires ive driven with.
The Following User Says Thank You to xRavenFRSx For This Useful Post:
Bg8780 (03-08-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 11:20 AM   #5
dradernh

Drives: Used to Drive:Grand-Am GS #54 E36M3
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Any reason you didn't just go to TireRack for the V12s?
dradernh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:33 AM   #6
xRavenFRSx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Any reason you didn't just go to TireRack for the V12s?
Mainly because I have a $1500 credit line through tire kingdom, and to build credit I do the 12 month 0% financing and just pay it all off after a month or two. On top of that I get like $100 in rebates using that card. So I would rather buy through Tire Kingdom.

And because from the people I talked to and research I did the A/S 3's grip better on normal public roads than the mid range summer tires like V12's.

What I was looking for in my original post was if there was a major/noticeable difference in handling between the two for it to be worth going to a different shop. With the rebate on the A/S's it would have cost the same to go with the V12's or similar at another shop.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:48 PM   #7
reeves

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I've had my A/S 3's on the rear only for the last 2K miles.. they definitely 'slip' less than the stock Michelins. Once summer comes around, I'll switch out the front 2 tires with the Super Sports & see how those compare with the A/S 3's. I plan to drive around with the SS on the fronts for about 1K miles before switching them to the rear just for comparison.
reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:03 PM   #8
xRavenFRSx

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
I've had my A/S 3's on the rear only for the last 2K miles.. they definitely 'slip' less than the stock Michelins. Once summer comes around, I'll switch out the front 2 tires with the Super Sports & see how those compare with the A/S 3's. I plan to drive around with the SS on the fronts for about 1K miles before switching them to the rear just for comparison.
The PSS are amazing tires, and im sure ALOT better than the A/S 3's. I just don't want to put them on my car while im DD'ing it because of how quick they wear. As soon as I have something different to daily drive il be putting those on my car.