follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 04-29-2018, 02:47 PM   #1
Enrique_13

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Opinions on the Ft86 Catted UEL headers

Hey guys I’m new here, I just had a quick question. I purchased a used BRZ about 2 months ago, and I got a check engine light that read P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency below threshold (Bank 1). I was told this was the catalytic converter by the header going bad. So I was thinking of buying the FT86 Catted UEL header since it has the cat with it. Does anyone know if this would help ? Also does anyone know where I could find a video of this part on the BRZ with everything else stock on the car? Thank you guys 🙏
Enrique_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 03:24 PM   #2
coryandy

Drives: '14 SSM BRZ Premium
Garage
I put a used FT86SF catted header on my car recently. It took about 3 days before the CEL came on. Luckily, I was on my way to get the car tuned when it happened.

I have heard some people have no problems, but some do. YMMV. I don't think the CEL will go away on its own either way. It will probably need reset regardless.

Edit: I do LOVE the difference it made in the torque dip, even before the tune!
Old 04-29-2018, 05:30 PM   #3
Enrique_13

Thank you for the insight ���� How about the sound? Did you notice any better rumble ? After putting on the header?
Old 04-29-2018, 06:33 PM   #4
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,322 Times in 7,380 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Just because you have a catted header does not mean it will not throw a CEL.

You can try to add an o2 sensor spacer but it is not guaranteed to work.

http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/o2-s...B#.WuZH6-jwbrc

Tune would be sure fix.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 06:54 PM   #5
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
if you wan a catted header that wont throw code ever...... Your choices is limited down to $$$$$

https://apexi-usa.com/exhaust/exhaus...-20-subaru-brz

I drove my car 30k miles before getting it tuned, tracked/auto corssed. no CEL ever.
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 06:54 PM   #6
coryandy

Drives: '14 SSM BRZ Premium
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrique_13 View Post
Thank you for the insight ���� How about the sound? Did you notice any better rumble ? After putting on the header?
It has a slightly more noticeable rumble, but not much. I already had the V1 catback as well, though.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:04 PM   #7
TofuJoe
Ohne Titel

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP ISM
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Why catted? The hp and torque gains are significantly less than catless. If you’re going catted to keep the sound down, a catless header and stock exhaust will give you more gains and still be pretty quiet. For reference, I ran the catted JDL with an OFT, custom tune, and briefly on the stock tune. A catted header without a tune is half assing what is already a compromise.
TofuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:13 PM   #8
Enrique_13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TofuJoe View Post
Why catted? The hp and torque gains are significantly less than catless. If you’re going catted to keep the sound down, a catless header and stock exhaust will give you more gains and still be pretty quiet. For reference, I ran the catted JDL with an OFT, custom tune, and briefly on the stock tune. A catted header without a tune is half assing what is already a compromise.
Going catted because I wouldn’t pass emissions here in TX, at least that’s what I’ve been told. I was thinking of getting a Tomei Catless UEL header until I heard about emissions. I want a subie rumble , but I don’t want my car to sound obnoxious either you know ?
Old 04-29-2018, 10:29 PM   #9
TofuJoe
Ohne Titel

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP ISM
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Not sure how emissions laws work in TX. In CA, any modification to the exhaust will make you fail the visual. So putting the stock header back on would be needed whether you have a catted or catless header.
TofuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:45 PM   #10
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I purchased a used BRZ about 2 months ago, and I got a check engine light that read P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency below threshold (Bank 1). I was told this was the catalytic converter by the header going bad.
Maybe someone who is more familiar with our catalytic converters can clarify, but on some other vehicles you can get a catalyst inefficiency code from a failing O2 sensor that is reading the emissions incorrectly but isn't yet throwing a code for sensor failure. Personally I'd investigate further before shelling out the money for a new header.

(Unless you just WANT a new header, and you're using this as an excuse. In which case, grow some balls and just say you want a header.)

Quote:
Going catted because I wouldn’t pass emissions here in TX, at least that’s what I’ve been told.
Correct. The "safety" inspection required in every county includes a visual inspection of the exhaust and emissions control equipment to make sure the exhaust is in good shape and you haven't removed the cats. You can replace cats with higher flowing cats, but you can't remove them altogether.

There's a separate emissions test required in 17 counties that includes OBDII testing. They hook up to your car to make sure you don't have any trouble codes stored and that your emissions readiness monitors show ready. For our cars, you're allowed one "Not ready" to still pass. Before you rely on a tune to correct a CEL for a catalytic converter, you might want to make sure it won't be detectable in the readiness monitors.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote