follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 08-25-2016, 10:52 AM   #1
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires - Inside out?

Does anyone know if the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires can be rotated backwards?

I don't see a directional arrow on the tires but I know they have an inside and outside.

EDIT: I'm 99.9% sure that I can switch them side to side (left front tire move to right front tire). I am NOT saying flipping them inside out (left front tire to right front wheel).

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK

Last edited by Frost; 08-25-2016 at 11:03 AM.
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:57 PM   #2
Ben_G

Drives: Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I think PSS are asymmetric non-directional, so as long you have the outside on the outside, you're good to go.

TireRack seems to back me up on this:
http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/colint...read-direction
Quote:
One of the most common questions I receive about tire tread design has to do with asymmetric tires. Their tread design makes it look like the tires on one side of the vehicle are rotating in the wrong direction. As long as the side stating "outside" on the sidewall is mounted facing you, then they are correct. Even though they may look wrong, the tires are engineered with different tread features and compounds across the tread design to optimize handling, wet and dry traction and ride quality.

All of these types of tires can be rotated but not equally as well. Symmetric and asymmetric tires can be rotated front-to-back, back-to-front and across. Directional tires cannot be cross rotated unless you have them remounted for the other side of the vehicle.
Ben_G is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ben_G For This Useful Post:
Frost (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 02:18 PM   #3
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Thats what the outside/inside are for. AS long as you can read outside while the tires are on the car, you are good to go. I used a set for lapping for 2 seasons (well, most of 2 seasons) and I moved them everywhere to make them wear simiarly (reason why I almost made 2 years with them actually). Front to rear same side, front to rear crossed side, same axle crossed side as well.
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Icecreamtruk For This Useful Post:
Frost (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 03:29 PM   #4
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_G View Post
I think PSS are asymmetric non-directional, so as long you have the outside on the outside, you're good to go.

TireRack seems to back me up on this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamtruk View Post
Thats what the outside/inside are for. AS long as you can read outside while the tires are on the car, you are good to go. I used a set for lapping for 2 seasons (well, most of 2 seasons) and I moved them everywhere to make them wear simiarly (reason why I almost made 2 years with them actually). Front to rear same side, front to rear crossed side, same axle crossed side as well.
Thanks guys! That's what I figured as well given it distinctly says OUTSIDE and INSIDE. It just feels weird watching the direction go the other way after so long.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Old 08-25-2016, 04:17 PM   #5
yelsew
Little Member

Drives: Bloo - The 13' BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
As far as I've seen before, the MPSS are non directional but asymmetric, and as long as you are not dismounting tires from wheels, they wont be able to be positioned wrong. Its actually good for non directional tires and asymmetric tires to be switched side to side every once in a while, even on non-track cars. what happens is that the individual blocks develop "heel toe" wear, where the leading and trailing edges of the tread elements exhibit different wear patterns. You should be good to go with moving the front wheels diagonal and the reel wheels forward
People just need some #drivermod in their life.
yelsew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yelsew For This Useful Post:
Frost (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 11:02 PM   #6
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelsew View Post
As far as I've seen before, the MPSS are non directional but asymmetric, and as long as you are not dismounting tires from wheels, they wont be able to be positioned wrong. Its actually good for non directional tires and asymmetric tires to be switched side to side every once in a while, even on non-track cars. what happens is that the individual blocks develop "heel toe" wear, where the leading and trailing edges of the tread elements exhibit different wear patterns. You should be good to go with moving the front wheels diagonal and the reel wheels forward
I'm actually dismounting the tires and slapping on track-only rubber but will swap the PSS back on for road trip duty so I'm trying to conserve them and protect them from the track. My right front has clearly taken a heavy beating so I'm trying to extend what I can out of them.

Love them as a road tire. Track tire? Pretty decent to start but fades quick.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK