follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 03-28-2016, 10:49 AM   #1
Haseebali31

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anyone feel like they have a clunky gear change?

I'm new to driving manual but I feel like I've gotten it down pretty well.

My only problem is that I feel my gear change is clunky. Even when fully stopped and my clutch is all the way in, changing gears isn't completely smooth. (no gas just clutch in and moving the shifter) I don't know if I just need a transmission fluid change or a new clutch. Does anyone else have this issue?
Haseebali31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:51 AM   #2
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
This is a known issue with multiple threads on it.

Generally people suggest swapping to motul 300 non LS. Otherwise do some research on google using "FRS gear clunk" or "Transmission shifting clunky, FRS" just some keywords like that and google search does wonders.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:59 AM   #3
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Thanked 7,307 Times in 4,485 Posts
Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Tagged: 185 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haseebali31 View Post

My only problem is that I feel my gear change is clunky. Even when fully stopped and my clutch is all the way in, changing gears isn't completely smooth. (no gas just clutch in and moving the shifter) I don't know if I just need a transmission fluid change or a new clutch. Does anyone else have this issue?
I've noticed that the FRS manual trans is by far one of the worst trans I have ever driven.. I've had multiple problems with my trans so far and most of the dealerships will deem them "normal". Check out all the threads where people have discussed trying to make the trans shifting feel better just type what you want to look up in google then "ft86club.com" after it. For example; "improving shifter feel ft86club.com" or "notchy shifter ft86club.com"
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
MisterSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MisterSheep For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (03-28-2016), Summerwolf (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 11:30 AM   #4
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
These cars are a direct link from shifter to the gears and you feel the shift. Most modern cars (especially FWD) use a shit load of cables, rods and linkages and you simply do not feel the change since they take up all the movement.
They are not "bad", "broken" or in any other way inferior. All cars used to have this feel to them but guys that think of vehicles from the 90s as old school just have never experienced it.
People say they like MT for the "feels" and then worry or complain when they actually feel something. You want smooth shift feels go buy something with a bunch of linkage and fool yourself that it is shifting "smoother".

OK over to all those self proclaimed experts that have "drove MT for a full two years now" are going to explain to me why I am wrong.
FR-Slide (03-28-2016), humfrz (03-28-2016), jawn (03-28-2016), JohnJuan (03-29-2016), kevaughan (04-22-2022), MisterSheep (03-28-2016), roddy (03-28-2016), SuperTom (04-16-2022), Toyarzee (03-28-2016), Turdinator (02-11-2022), Ultramaroon (03-28-2016), Yoshoobaroo (04-16-2022)
Old 03-28-2016, 11:33 AM   #5
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Thanked 7,307 Times in 4,485 Posts
Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Tagged: 185 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
These cars are a direct link from shifter to the gears and you feel the shift. Most modern cars (especially FWD) use a shit load of cables, rods and linkages and you simply do not feel the change since they take up all the movement.
They are not "bad", "broken" or in any other way inferior. All cars used to have this feel to them but guys that think of vehicles from the 90s as old school just have never experienced it.
People say they like MT for the "feels" and then worry or complain when they actually feel something. You want smooth shift feels go buy something with a bunch of linkage and fool yourself that it is shifting "smoother".

OK over to all those self proclaimed experts that have "drove MT for a full two years now" are going to explain to me why I am wrong.
You're wrong because this is the internet and all transmissions should be amazing and my 20k car isn't a 60k bmw!
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
MisterSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MisterSheep For This Useful Post:
humfrz (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 11:37 AM   #6
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Isn't the smoothest and I cringe with a lot of my 2-3 shift but it hasnt blown up yet. High RPM shifts always seem smoother than daily driver shifts at ~3-4k RPM. Almost 40,000 miles with a decent amount of HPDE days on it. I run Motul gear 300 also
Old 03-28-2016, 11:47 AM   #7
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:

My only problem is that I feel my gear change is clunky.
Hello Haseebali31 and welcome to ....... The Forum .........

I suggest you read @Tcoat s response carefully.

Now, you aren't the only one who feels this way, so there is a good chance there isn't anything wrong with your transmission, nor are you doing anything "wrong".

Several folks have changed the transmission oil and noticed a positive change.

Also, keep in mind your transmission is relatively new, and will get smoother as it ages.

You do know, a warm FR-S transmission is a happier transmission.

Here is my prescription:

I would suggest that when shifting, wind up the last gear pretty tight (4-5,000 rpms) (after the engine has warmed up) before shifting into the next higher gear.

Also, when shifting, pull (or push) the shift lever slowly and firmly into the next gear.

It's not a toggle switch ..... the lever is moving heavy transmission parts.

I suggest you NOT "lazy leg" it ……. be sure to push the clutch pedal all the way to the floor.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
MisterSheep (03-28-2016), tracerit (03-28-2016), zberz (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 11:51 AM   #8
zberz

Drives: 2015 Lightning Red BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Hello Haseebali31 and welcome to ....... The Forum .........

I suggest you read @Tcoat s response carefully.

Now, you aren't the only one who feels this way, so there is a good chance there isn't anything wrong with your transmission, nor are you doing anything "wrong".

Several folks have changed the transmission oil and noticed a positive change.

Also, keep in mind your transmission is relatively new, and will get smoother as it ages.

You do know, a warm FR-S transmission is a happier transmission.

Here is my prescription:

I would suggest that when shifting, wind up the last gear pretty tight (4-5,000 rpms) (after the engine has warmed up) before shifting into the next higher gear.

Also, when shifting, pull (or push) the shift lever slowly and firmly into the next gear.

It's not a toggle switch ..... the lever is moving heavy transmission parts.

I suggest you NOT "lazy leg" it ……. be sure to push the clutch pedal all the way to the floor.

humfrz
This.

sent from my phone using black magic
zberz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zberz For This Useful Post:
MisterSheep (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 12:07 PM   #9
Haseebali31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
This is a known issue with multiple threads on it.

Generally people suggest swapping to motul 300 non LS. Otherwise do some research on google using "FRS gear clunk" or "Transmission shifting clunky, FRS" just some keywords like that and google search does wonders.

I have looked into motul 300 but transmission fluid changes are so freaking expensive. Next paycheck hopefully!
The Following User Says Thank You to Haseebali31 For This Useful Post:
MisterSheep (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 12:09 PM   #10
Haseebali31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSheep View Post
I've noticed that the FRS manual trans is by far one of the worst trans I have ever driven.. I've had multiple problems with my trans so far and most of the dealerships will deem them "normal". Check out all the threads where people have discussed trying to make the trans shifting feel better just type what you want to look up in google then "ft86club.com" after it. For example; "improving shifter feel ft86club.com" or "notchy shifter ft86club.com"
I will do that! Considering its my first manual I have no experience with other manual cars so maybe its normal to feel this...
Old 03-28-2016, 12:10 PM   #11
Haseebali31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post

In other words, I have nothing to worry about?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Haseebali31 For This Useful Post:
MisterSheep (03-28-2016), Tcoat (03-28-2016), Ultramaroon (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 12:23 PM   #12
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
In other words, I have nothing to worry about?
Exactly! Just don't believe everything you read on here. each little foible of the car is not a huge issue. Many of the things are just the way it is.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:49 PM   #13
SubaruLifer

Drives: 2015 ISM BRZ Premium
Garage
Quote:
I have looked into motul 300 but transmission fluid changes are so freaking expensive. Next paycheck hopefully!
Pretty easy to do yourself if you have a jack and stands (or a lift if you're fancy like that). DIY guides are available on here; just a search away.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:56 PM   #14
RichardsFRS

Drives: 2013 Pearl White 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
My 13 does it from time to time. Usually first and second. I wouldn't sweat it, because its a complaint of all manual twins. As Tcoat said, you will feel and hear everything even things you don't want to feel; in this car. Every snap clunk pop tick click clank crunk and crank, because the car is a sports car, and it has no lining under the interior panels, and you will soon find out its a beautiful thing to tuned into your car like that