follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-26-2012, 09:52 PM   #155
2forme

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
I found the Airaid sytem to be terrible, poor sounding and noticble loss of power and I lost 5mpg as well! With the Injen I feel the power gain and love the sound when I hit the gas...and I got my mpg back.

Anyone in San Diego want a free Airaid intake with about 400miles on it?
Why not return it?
2forme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:11 PM   #156
JTM

Drives: 2013 FRS-6MT Argento
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
TVC, Tony,
Did you guys both get the dry kits? I know 2forme did.
JTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:56 PM   #157
tonystewart

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Wet
May'12 AT Raven, OFT V2, Perrin IntakeTube, Pulley & Overpipe,HKS Snorkel,FA20 EL Header,Nameless Frontpipe w/ Helmholtz, Crawford AOS, Cusco O2W Cooler, Grimmspeed Strut/MC Brace, Winjets w/D2S 3.0 HID by Illuminating Lighworkx, Fogs w/EU Stalk, LED's, JDM UnderPanels, Diffuser, Rigid Collars, Whiteline, HVT Camber Plates, Koni's, Swift Springs, GTSpec LCA, SPC Toearms, DBA 4K T-Slot Rotors, Ferodo DS2500, Vorshlag BrakeLines, MichelinPSS, 5Axis Wing, Raammat, Ensolite, JPM Coachworks, OEM+Ref400, 20mmspacers, TOMS
tonystewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:01 AM   #158
Alabang 86

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
awesome write-up, thanks!
Alabang 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alabang 86 For This Useful Post:
Drift-Office (12-06-2012)
Old 11-02-2012, 10:29 PM   #159
EN2_Squirrel

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
i am wondering if removing the lid on the airaid intake box and putting a small scoop on the hood, directly over the box, to force feed cold air directly to the filter would be a good idea? or help at all?
EN2_Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:33 PM   #160
EVn17

Drives: Chevrolet silverado
Garage
at the risk of sounding stupid, what is the purpose of the extra tube the extends off to the left on the intake?
EVn17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:35 PM   #161
zoomzoomers

Drives: 2013 Subaru SWP BRZ Limited 6AT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EN2_Squirrel View Post
i am wondering if removing the lid on the airaid intake box and putting a small scoop on the hood, directly over the box, to force feed cold air directly to the filter would be a good idea? or help at all?
Can't speak of that, but someone has said that they ran the intake without the lid and there was no significant difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVn17 View Post
at the risk of sounding stupid, what is the purpose of the extra tube the extends off to the left on the intake?
Are you referring to the sound generator?
Man Law#17:A man in the company of a hot, seductively dressed, woman MUST remain sober enough to fight!

MODS: AVO tubes + filter, Cusco (F) strut brace w/ MC brace, Perrin CBE, Subaru OEM trunk tray, Grimmspeed front license re-locator & hood struts and Beatsonic rear cam.
zoomzoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #162
TwinRz

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forme View Post
Seriously! It's kinda sad. People are going to read JUST the first post and take it as definitive. Sure Injen *CAN* make considerable power on a stock tune... you just gotta drive around with your hood removed and hope you don't run lean.

But in REAL world use. I don't see it making much. After seeing my temperature results on my AIRAID testing, I can only imagine how much HOTTER the Injen will run....
You still can use those dynos as a guide though on what to purchase. If the Airaid loses power obviously it would be a lot worse with the hood closed.

So you can see that even if the hood is open with the Injen and AFE, atleast their are gains instead of loss. That way even if your hood is closed you will be a lot more comfortable using either of those 2 then an Airaid. I am pretty sure someone else has posted a dyno of the Injen with the hood closed that I read in another post.

It is a lot better then buying an intake that is losing power with an open hood. It shows that the intake is designed better and has use. It is better to have the dynos with an open hood then with no dynos. People now atleast know the Airaid is junk compared to other intakes. As of right now I would either get the Injen, Zeta Silicone tube / Perrin Drop in, or wait for Perrins true CAI. If I was a baller I would get Gruppe M x Revolutions intake but that will probably be in the 2k + range which is rediculous for an intake that probably wont be that much better then Perrins.
TwinRz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:48 PM   #163
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,768 Times in 1,110 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
After reading through this entire thread, I'm probably going with the aFe intake. Good design, definitely not a fan of the open filter with a closed hood. I live in Texas, it gets pretty hot here. As long as I can get heat protection and that filter as far down and away from the engine as possible, with shielding, the better.

I don't see that Injen intake being great in a hot environment like mine for everyday driving. Time will tell I suppose.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #164
2forme

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Matt View Post
After reading through this entire thread, I'm probably going with the aFe intake. Good design, definitely not a fan of the open filter with a closed hood. I live in Texas, it gets pretty hot here. As long as I can get heat protection and that filter as far down and away from the engine as possible, with shielding, the better.

I don't see that Injen intake being great in a hot environment like mine for everyday driving. Time will tell I suppose.
I can confirm your suspicions. I did temperature testing on both the AFE and AIRAID under 5 minute heat soak/cool off conditions. The AIRAID let more heat soak in than the AFE. Injen would only be worse than the AIRAID in this regard. It's metal, and it's mouth is even further back from the "cold air port".
Old 12-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #165
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,768 Times in 1,110 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forme View Post
I can confirm your suspicions. I did temperature testing on both the AFE and AIRAID under 5 minute heat soak/cool off conditions. The AIRAID let more heat soak in than the AFE. Injen would only be worse than the AIRAID in this regard. It's metal, and it's mouth is even further back from the "cold air port".
Exactly. Definitely why I am in favor of the AFE. Heat protection is huge when it comes to these. I'm fine with plastic over metal. At least you know how it will function.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #166
TRD_86

Drives: 2013 86 white
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Sound like the Injen is best HP gain !
what is the most negative or cons issue?
TRD_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #167
2forme

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD_86 View Post
facepalm...only if you remove your hood while driving
Old 12-06-2012, 01:24 AM   #168
Drift-Office

Drives: AE86 / FRS / FC3S / GC8 / S14 / R32
Thanked 1,431 Times in 372 Posts
Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD_86 View Post
Well, it is true that the Injen offering did yield the highest gain, though we have noticed that it's a hit and miss really. My eval unit didn't have a problem but I did get a hold of another that was purportedly getting bogging issues (search forum) and experienced the same.

More on this really shortly (and a possible solution) in an upcoming thread : "A tale of two Injens"

Cheers!

Bob @ Drift-Office, LLC
Drift-Office is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drift-Office For This Useful Post:
BRZranger (12-06-2012)