follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 01-23-2022, 10:21 AM   #15
Q8D

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroundomaha View Post
Funny world as I also had a 72 Monte, and damn that was a long hood
I'm in my early 30's but a 72 Monte is one of my top dream cars. In fact I almost bought one a few months back, but it was sold just minutes before I called. Guh!
Q8D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:25 AM   #16
Scargod
Track Day Junkie

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
soundman98...You hit the nail on the head!
I had a very disappointing experience on the Facebook group "2022+ Subaru BRZ / Toyota GR 86 Owners and Enthusiasts" I quit the group because the Administrator/Dictator felt the need to attack me, call me names and insult me because I wouldn't explain all the ways that racing BBK's are better than steel sliders! He wanted to play this circular manipulation game of not accepting my credentials as knowledgeable and wanting me to prove everything I said (as if I was a run of the mill ignorant teen). Nothing I said was acceptable because HE deemed I didn't need BBK's (or fixed calipers) for track days. After a few exchanges I wouldn't play his "Brakes 101, test" game. I've never met such a rude and arrogant admin in my life.

When I've gone to various tracks I've tried to do competitive lap times for ST2. I can do that. I can keep up with the big boys, but I couldn't without BBK's, racing diffs, racing knuckles, aero and more in a dedicated race car.
Here's my IWSTI build journal on my STI that I've been tracking for seven years. I do everything but tune. I did the custom brake cooling work on the car's front fascia. The last engine I built for the car had 60+ hours and could have gone some more. I do datalogging and videos.
At 75, I'm still competitive and active and I sure as hell don't like being talked down to and insulted by someone that is likely half my age and likely not as smart or experienced.
Thanks! I needed to blow off some steam!

Last edited by Scargod; 01-23-2022 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Added links
Scargod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Scargod For This Useful Post:
Aroundomaha (02-01-2022), bcj (01-23-2022), PBR (01-23-2022), soundman98 (01-23-2022), surfwaxsmitty (02-03-2022), TommyW (01-23-2022)
Old 01-23-2022, 11:51 AM   #17
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
yep, sorry we lumped you into the poor-teen-first-car group! stick around, read up on grumpy snappers build for obscene-money-down-a-well, and we'll all get to know each other better!
Scargod (01-23-2022), SpectreRT (01-23-2022)
Old 01-27-2022, 02:16 AM   #18
Fingat

Drives: 22 BRZ (WRB)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hey I like this thread! Y'all make me feel young (born in 74) I'm usually the old fart in my groups.
Fingat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 06:35 AM   #19
Flarpswitch

Drives: 2022 BRZ Ltd, 2019 Ascent
I'm 71 and going to more funerals now when it used to be graduations and weddings. No one needs to be apologetic about owning an 86/BRZ. If it gets the job done, then there is no need to spend two, three or four times as much money for something all your expert friends think you should be driving. I grew up on second hand British sports cars (Austin Cooper S my favorite) where you spend half your time under the 'bonnet' and the other half driving and hoping you don't have to call a friend for a tow home. Yes, it's true about us Boomers ruining everything for you kids. Suck it up. And we have all the money too, so you better be polite or we'll leave it all in the will to the animal shelter.
Flarpswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flarpswitch For This Useful Post:
bcj (01-27-2022), PBR (01-27-2022), soundman98 (01-27-2022), Stonehorsw (01-27-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 11:42 AM   #20
Desertnate
Spelling Impaired

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited WR Blue
Glad to see in this thread I'm not one of the oldest people here...not like it matters to me. I'm just a hair under 50.

I really feel this is the most fun car in my price range. I played with the idea of a used Cayman, but these days it would mean a 987 generation, for my budget, with the "Porsche tax" on maintenance vs a brand new car with a warranty and lower cost of ownership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
please understand where most of that is coming from though-- for the past 8-ish years, we've had countless new users that within their first 5 posts is

"HEI GUYZ, i just bought a brand new brz, i'm gonna widebody it, and put a bbk on it, sway bars, and cut the springs, and get the bestest tires known to man on it! i've never been to a track, but i'm gonna start going every other day, and twice on sunday! what's the cheapest wide body and bbk kit i can get? i found this ebay bbk kit for $500, will that work? be easy on ur boi, i ain't got lots oh cheddah lying around after buying my new baby!"

if you're at the experience level, and in a lot of new users case, the money level to actually get and make use of better-performing gear, you're ahead of what we've come to expect-- so as a forum, we've shifted to just providing the answer of "hold on, just get on the track first and figure out how capable you and the car are first before throwing your entire inheritance at it"

normally, we never hear back from those people, especially after they realize how they need to pay to go to the track every time...
Great post!

I'd also add that many people jump down the modding rabbit hole without learning how their car behaves in its stock form for how they drive it. I received wise advice once to learn the car first and then start making mods based on what you learn with that platform. That is the main reason I'm going the run my BRZ in a stock autocross class this season. I've got a few seasons under my belt now an would happily drop a set of wider wheels and 200TW tires and do OK. Instead I'll stay stock, learn the platform and then start a few mild mods for next season.
Desertnate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Desertnate For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (02-01-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 02:58 PM   #21
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scargod View Post
I'm 75. Ex-SCCA racer and autocrosser. I'm selling my 6.5:1 power, track STI and focusing on a car that will be almost as fun and less work. It won't have the raw speed and acceleration, but it should be exciting in turns. It already puts a smile on my face every time I get the rear-end out (even in second gear).
It's been a while since I had a RWD, true sportscar. It reminds me of my RX7 R1.
I'll have some Apex 17" wheels next week to put my 245 Proxes 888R tires on and coilovers in a few more weeks. I've already put an IRP shifter in it.
The biggest disappointment in the car is the heavy, mediocre slider brakes. It also pisses me off, as a racer, that younger and less experienced people tell me I don't need better brakes.
please understand where most of that is coming from though-- for the past 8-ish years, we've had countless new users that within their first 5 posts is

"HEI GUYZ, i just bought a brand new brz, i'm gonna widebody it, and put a bbk on it, sway bars, and cut the springs, and get the bestest tires known to man on it! i've never been to a track, but i'm gonna start going every other day, and twice on sunday! what's the cheapest wide body and bbk kit i can get? i found this ebay bbk kit for $500, will that work? be easy on ur boi, i ain't got lots oh cheddah lying around after buying my new baby!"

if you're at the experience level, and in a lot of new users case, the money level to actually get and make use of better-performing gear, you're ahead of what we've come to expect-- so as a forum, we've shifted to just providing the answer of "hold on, just get on the track first and figure out how capable you and the car are first before throwing your entire inheritance at it"

normally, we never hear back from those people, especially after they realize how they need to pay to go to the track every time...

this bears repeating, as this just came up today, almost verbatim for what i ironically said, lol. maybe the guy does have a ton of track experience that he's not stating. but the words used don't indicate someone that knows their apex from their straightaway...

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...35#post3502635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmcccall View Post
Hello and thanks in advance for your help and input.

Looking at a new GR86 for a track day/HPDE car to learn and develop my skills. It won’t be a daily driver for me. There is a track near me in Texas that offers a membership so have relatively easy access.

I’m curious what mods will be required to the car. At first maybe just coilovers/camber adjustment and perhaps brake pads or brake kit? What about oil/engine cooling? Brake cooling? It’s obviously very hot here in the summer. Trying to evaluate how much I will have to put into the car so that it is reliable and fun. I understand over time I may want some mods that are more about speed but for now what would I need for reliability, consistency and safety on the track?

Also trying to see how much I will have to invest up front. I’ve tried looking at other options and keep coming back to this car. I’m too tall for a Miata with roll bar I believe without some serious mods. I love cars but I’m not a mechanic or that handy so I also do not want or couldn’t handle a project. Thanks for the help!!!