follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-29-2021, 11:31 AM   #435
Tcoat
No I don't race or speed
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 66,919
Thanks: 59,254
Thanked 101,737 Times in 44,081 Posts
Mentioned: 2418 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
In Auto, I downshift using the paddles primarily for passing on the highway (I double or triple tap it) because it's faster than letting the auto do it by itself.

On occasion I'll downshift to reduce speed in areas where the speed limit goes from say, 55 to 45 then to 35 just because I can.
I do this with the paddles in my wife's Outback all the time. It is the 2.5 engine so passing can be a bit interesting if waiting on the CVT to decide to "shift".
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-29-2021)
Old 11-29-2021, 04:56 PM   #436
OkieSnuffBox
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Drives: It has 4 wheels
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 1,278
Thanks: 341
Thanked 724 Times in 413 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspeed View Post
I feel the need to share here that, I don't get all the conversation about interiors in general from the sports car enthusiast community. Every article or vid that goes on and on about interior makes me die a little inside. WTF, if you claim you're a car enthusiast but talk a lot about the interior, then that tells me you're not a real car enthusiast. People will say they like to be comfortable, but that's not a "driver's car" thing, that's a Mercedes thing. Get an old Town Car or Mercedes or something.

Not a specific rant here... just hating all the verbage and text in vids and magazine articles about lame-ass interior conversations. I think it's so common because it's so easy to do... any you-tuber can go to a car show and sit in a car and give a "review" that has no useful comments on driving dynamics of a sportscar. And we're all interested in a sportscar for driving dynamics.
The one I never get is, "The dash isn't soft touch."

Do you sit on the dash? Do you caress the dash while driving?
OkieSnuffBox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OkieSnuffBox For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-29-2021), SC10N (04-10-2022)
Old 11-29-2021, 05:34 PM   #437
Jegan_V
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Drives: 2014 FRS Monogram
Location: Toronto
Posts: 423
Thanks: 65
Thanked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
The one I never get is, "The dash isn't soft touch."

Do you sit on the dash? Do you caress the dash while driving?
There is one place I would massively appreciate having soft touch in the interior...any panel under the steering column. As someone who's no tall and has to sit up closer, that would've saved me some bruises when they do some stupid design, Dodge Caliber being the absolute worst here, that definitely gave me the most injuries to my knee.
Jegan_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 05:51 PM   #438
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,540
Thanks: 63
Thanked 1,677 Times in 908 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
The one I never get is, "The dash isn't soft touch."

Do you sit on the dash? Do you caress the dash while driving?
It gives off a sense of quality.

If you sit in say a Scion TC, the entire dash uses some brittle hard plastic. Even with the relatively nice looking design, the material choice makes it feel like trash on the inside.

Even if the graining is the same or similar to one used on a softer touch material, you can look at them beside each other and one is just going to look and feel better (the softer one)

In the first gen twins, that big plastic (fake carbon fibre look) panel on the face of the dash was replaced by either the granlux or the leather/leatherette material. That by itself made the interior feel a bit higher quality instead of plastic fantastic.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 05:57 PM   #439
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,540
Thanks: 63
Thanked 1,677 Times in 908 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I do this with the paddles in my wife's Outback all the time. It is the 2.5 engine so passing can be a bit interesting if waiting on the CVT to decide to "shift".
when i had my Honda Fit, if i had a passing opportunity on the highway come up, i'd drop it into S "sport" mode, and then just floor the pedal, let the CVT do its thing, and then i would make a move. I would have to do this a few seconds before i decide to actually make the move though because the car has no power and the CVT doesnt really help. It honestly didnt feel all that much more powerful vs regular drive though aside for the slightly more immediate throttle response lol.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:35 PM   #440
CockpitCruiser
Custom Title
 
CockpitCruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Drives: GT86
Location: Arizona
Posts: 31
Thanks: 39
Thanked 20 Times in 11 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Well, you had me until this. How is the way a car looks (basically external design) not a part of an adult decision? Even if you are in a pure race environment where form follows function, typically a well performing car has some level of "eye pleasing" design built into it.

How many adults bought a Nissan Skyline for the way it looks? just look at those lines

I bought the GT86 because of the way it performed. I didn't need speed, I needed a responsive car that had a very minimalist interior and I didn't do a huge amount of research before buying it. I just drove it. Toyota nailed it.
__________________
Eat, Sleep, Drive, Work, Drive, Ride, Eat, Sleep. Repeat

Last edited by CockpitCruiser; 12-02-2021 at 11:41 AM.
CockpitCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:50 PM   #441
soundman98
idealized boredom
 
soundman98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Location: chicago-ish
Posts: 9,010
Thanks: 26,921
Thanked 10,644 Times in 5,340 Posts
Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
i'd buy a skyline just to look at it...

i actually want a r34 4-door. because it's got all of the styling, and it's semi-functional. it's also not the norm.
__________________
"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time"
soundman98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soundman98 For This Useful Post:
CockpitCruiser (12-01-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 07:36 AM   #442
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!
 
Dadhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Location: Powder Springs, GA
Posts: 18,056
Thanks: 34,862
Thanked 21,907 Times in 10,073 Posts
Mentioned: 170 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CockpitCruiser View Post
How many adults bought a Nissan Skyline for the way it looks? just look at those lines
Can't see your photo so not sure which Skyline you are referring to, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I would guess a lot of the ones sold were sold partially because adults that did not care one wit about the performance liked the way the car looked.

Hey, but it's OK if you prioritize one thing over everything else. One truth about being an adult is you don't have to explain your preferences if you don't want to!
__________________

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".

Last edited by Dadhawk; 11-30-2021 at 08:09 AM.
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Boomerang (12-01-2021), CockpitCruiser (11-30-2021), soundman98 (11-30-2021), Tcoat (11-30-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 07:56 AM   #443
x808drifter
LMGTFY
 
x808drifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Location: Lava Town, HI
Posts: 1,962
Thanks: 2,307
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,109 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
i'd buy a skyline just to look at it...

i actually want a r34 4-door. because it's got all of the styling, and it's semi-functional. it's also not the norm.
Get a Stagea.
4 door wagon but in the right trim its a GTR.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 08:05 AM   #444
Tcoat
No I don't race or speed
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 66,919
Thanks: 59,254
Thanked 101,737 Times in 44,081 Posts
Mentioned: 2418 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by x808drifter View Post
Get a Stagea.
4 door wagon but in the right trim its a GTR.
I would buy that in a heartbeat!
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-30-2021), jeepmor (12-13-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 10:16 AM   #445
Robertw
Senior Member
 
Robertw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Drives: 1996 Turbo Miata
Location: MA
Posts: 116
Thanks: 21
Thanked 74 Times in 38 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
The one I never get is, "The dash isn't soft touch."

Do you sit on the dash? Do you caress the dash while driving?
I personally don't want soft touch materials everywhere. My 99 M3 had them, and that interior did not age well at all. Meanwhile my 96 miata's interior has held up exceptionally well, all the hard plastics and rubber arm rests.
Robertw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Robertw For This Useful Post:
Dake (11-30-2021), jeepmor (12-13-2021), saltywetman (12-14-2021), Tcoat (11-30-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 07:17 PM   #446
soundman98
idealized boredom
 
soundman98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Location: chicago-ish
Posts: 9,010
Thanks: 26,921
Thanked 10,644 Times in 5,340 Posts
Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by x808drifter View Post
Get a Stagea.
4 door wagon but in the right trim its a GTR.
only 1 model looks right to me.

__________________
"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time"
soundman98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:56 AM   #447
Tcoat
No I don't race or speed
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 66,919
Thanks: 59,254
Thanked 101,737 Times in 44,081 Posts
Mentioned: 2418 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
only 1 model looks right to me.

__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (12-08-2021), Yoshoobaroo (12-01-2021)
Old 12-01-2021, 08:30 AM   #448
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB
 
wbradley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '18 STI Sport
Location: Thornhill Ontario
Posts: 4,417
Thanks: 1,153
Thanked 2,698 Times in 1,545 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
I bought my '13 brand new, deposit paid in April '12. The total incl tax was around $31,500 CD.
Subsequently over the next few years I spent at least $20K more for the supercharger, tune, body kit, complete exhaust, Ohlin's, wheels, tires, brake upgrades, etc.

The car has 77,000 kms (46000 mile) on it and has never seen snow. The last 4 digits of the VIN indicate it was probably around the 1800th unit assembled.

If I sold it I'd expect to get a very small fraction of the cost back. And I should note that I tried to be very frugal, buying all the bigger mods lightly used.

So, I can get maybe less than 1/3 my cost back and to do the same thing again this time around would probably cost me in the range of $70k all said with similar performance in the end. I don't need more than the 300 or so hp I have now.

The only real sacrifice to me would be not driving the latest style, but since I consider these cars to be future classics that doesn't bother me much.
__________________
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another good reason to drive an AT Hotrodheart Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 31 07-13-2016 01:00 AM
A Good Reason to Stay With Narrow 17s FlamingRectumSyndrome Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack 32 04-30-2014 04:18 PM
FA20CLUB: GOOD REASON TO REMOVE YOUR TURBO KIT RIGHT AWAY.... FA20Club.com Forced Induction 27 06-21-2013 11:19 PM
Car Name; Reason why FT-86 won't stick xantonin Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 54 07-17-2011 12:52 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.