follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-17-2021, 04:18 PM   #1625
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!
 
Dadhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Location: Powder Springs, GA
Posts: 18,053
Thanks: 34,853
Thanked 21,897 Times in 10,069 Posts
Mentioned: 170 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
That's actually really cool. Probably saves overhead on an otherwise state run distribution. I don't think it would work well in Maryland, not enough truly rural area for that. But maybe something similar for specific urban public schools? I could get behind that.
Here's the program. Businesses still qualify for the federal deduction.

https://www.georgiaheart.org/
__________________

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Spuds (11-17-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 06:30 PM   #1626
Sapphireho
Kentucky fried slackin
 
Sapphireho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: Costco boxer briefs
Location: Caldwell, ID
Posts: 11,268
Thanks: 4,725
Thanked 14,515 Times in 7,126 Posts
Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Ugm, because he thinks you're a tax accountant?
That's funny!
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 07:04 PM   #1627
soundman98
idealized boredom
 
soundman98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Location: chicago-ish
Posts: 8,987
Thanks: 26,809
Thanked 10,624 Times in 5,328 Posts
Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Ugm, because he thinks you're a tax accountant?
'think' is a little strong. Imply would be a better word
__________________
"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time"
soundman98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soundman98 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-17-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 07:20 PM   #1628
Spuds
The Dictater
 
Spuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Location: MD, USA
Posts: 7,678
Thanks: 21,208
Thanked 9,738 Times in 4,904 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
'think' is a little strong. Imply would be a better word
For you, definitely.

Spuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 07:20 PM   #1629
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!
 
Dadhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Location: Powder Springs, GA
Posts: 18,053
Thanks: 34,853
Thanked 21,897 Times in 10,069 Posts
Mentioned: 170 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
That's funny!
Man I set you up, leave that softball just hanging there and you miss the correct response.....
__________________

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (11-17-2021), Spuds (11-17-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 07:49 PM   #1630
soundman98
idealized boredom
 
soundman98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Location: chicago-ish
Posts: 8,987
Thanks: 26,809
Thanked 10,624 Times in 5,328 Posts
Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
For you, definitely.

I try to leave the heavy lifting for the boss
__________________
"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time"
soundman98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soundman98 For This Useful Post:
Spuds (11-17-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 10:06 PM   #1631
Sapphireho
Kentucky fried slackin
 
Sapphireho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: Costco boxer briefs
Location: Caldwell, ID
Posts: 11,268
Thanks: 4,725
Thanked 14,515 Times in 7,126 Posts
Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Man I set you up, leave that softball just hanging there and you miss the correct response.....
Oh brother, I new what he was getting at, I was playing dumb waiting for his response.

Then .....
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-18-2021), soundman98 (11-19-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 11:58 PM   #1632
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ģ
 
Captain Snooze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Drives: Red Herring
Location: australia
Posts: 7,032
Thanks: 3,534
Thanked 7,905 Times in 3,594 Posts
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I don't remember exactly what I saw on shelf price tickets in California but it was something along the lines of price of item without tax and the amount of tax to be paid at checkout. Or maybe it was price of item without tax and getting surprised at checkout because I had to pay tax on top of price. What ever it was I thought it was weird. Here the price you see at the shelf is the price you pay at checkout.
__________________
My car is completely stock except for all the mods.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
Spuds (11-18-2021)
Old 11-18-2021, 01:00 AM   #1633
Spuds
The Dictater
 
Spuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Location: MD, USA
Posts: 7,678
Thanks: 21,208
Thanked 9,738 Times in 4,904 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
I don't remember exactly what I saw on shelf price tickets in California but it was something along the lines of price of item without tax and the amount of tax to be paid at checkout. Or maybe it was price of item without tax and getting surprised at checkout because I had to pay tax on top of price. What ever it was I thought it was weird. Here the price you see at the shelf is the price you pay at checkout.
Many states tax sales by some percentage. The tax is allowed to be passed on to the consumer which basically means it doesn't have to be included in the advertised price. The seller collects the tax at checkout and eventually pays it to the state government. Yes, it's quite a strange arrangement.

There is no US federal sales tax, so you won't see that in some states.
Spuds is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-18-2021), soundman98 (11-19-2021)
Old 11-18-2021, 01:46 AM   #1634
Ultramaroon
not slacking
 
Ultramaroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 28,800
Thanks: 46,321
Thanked 31,630 Times in 16,673 Posts
Mentioned: 1039 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
Oh brother, I new what he was getting at, I was playing dumb waiting for his response.

Then .....
You're just so good it's like you're not even trying.
__________________
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ultramaroon For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (11-19-2021)
Old 11-18-2021, 08:42 AM   #1635
86-75309
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 Hakone Edition
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 222
Thanks: 28
Thanked 212 Times in 94 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Many states tax sales by some percentage. The tax is allowed to be passed on to the consumer which basically means it doesn't have to be included in the advertised price. The seller collects the tax at checkout and eventually pays it to the state government. Yes, it's quite a strange arrangement.

There is no US federal sales tax, so you won't see that in some states.
Sales taxes can also be imposed by counties and municipalities, at least in the state where I live. It would be impossible to advertise a single, out-the-door price for something if you're a retailer with multiple outlets in multiple jurisdictions.
86-75309 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 86-75309 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-18-2021), Spuds (11-18-2021)
Old 11-18-2021, 09:05 AM   #1636
FR-S2GT86
"I don't know."
 
FR-S2GT86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Location: West Virginia, USA
Posts: 1,176
Thanks: 167
Thanked 815 Times in 499 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
I think you are overreacting, but sure, tax code is unnecessarily complicated. IMO, part of the problem is the patchwork nature of updates. That itself is caused in part by clever tax professionals finding ways for rich people to avoid taxes. When too many people start doing it too (less rich people) someone makes a patch that targets that specific hole. Then the cycle repeats.

I do know people that file all their taxes by hand every year. I pay for the convenience of Turbo Tax software to do mine. For the average person, it really isn't all that complicated.

Overreacting? Not at all, just being a realist. If anything, I'm UNDERREACTING in this post.

When you compare the differences how Americans used to make a means for themselves and their families back before the Federal Reserve was founded, (by private bankers mind you) where one person could sustain the entire household with a single income, to now where both spouses have to work full time just to barely get by with a little bit of spending money for extracurriculars, while you witness the debt ceiling grow ever higher year after year after year and see the "public" debt increase year after year after year, you start to ask questions and when nobody has the answers, you begin to educate yourself on what the hell has happened to this once great nation by reading. The information is in those three books, which I will post again here, just in case anybody missed them the first time,
Name:  IMG_20211117_081717513~2.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  505.6 KB

And here's one more for you if you have any doubts or if you continue to believe that I'm overreacting:
Name:  IMG_20211118_081956207.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  459.4 KB

For more than 30 years, I've been filling out my own tax forms on paper, and sending them in via the United States Postal Service (except for the five years that I couldn't due to the American Healthcare Act and it's penalty mandate for not having health insurance, which was in direct conflict with my state constitution). Why do I continue to file manually? Because electronic filing makes the entire process automated which removes the human element from the equation. There are no options to bring up challenges to issues that you may run into or mistakes that may have been overlooked by government computers. To that government computer, you are simply a number....a taxpayer who must supply the correct calculated amount of income or you generate an error in the system which causes the output to automatically mail you pieces of paper informing you as such. When they address you in the letter, you'll see that they never call you by your name, they ALWAYS start with, "Dear Taxpayer....." Do yourself a favor and read those books to find out why.

And when you say that: "......part of the problem is the patchwork nature of updates. That itself is caused in part by clever tax professionals finding ways for rich people to avoid taxes.", I agree with you that part of the problem is the patchwork of updates, but disagree with you that it is the clever tax professionals making those changes. It's actually the private lawyers and professional lobbyists hired by the ultra-rich that influence the code-writing procedures to make sure the money always comes back to the pockets of the ultra-rich bankers.

Again, I still say that the Federal tax system is doing exactly what it has been designed to do. And for those that want to learn the reasons why, the information is right there in those books.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
My pubes are shaped like the number 86. There for Iím car. Derp
Count to muffens and call again.
Iím 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 09:37 AM   #1637
Spuds
The Dictater
 
Spuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Location: MD, USA
Posts: 7,678
Thanks: 21,208
Thanked 9,738 Times in 4,904 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S2GT86 View Post
Overreacting? Not at all, just being a realist. If anything, I'm UNDERREACTING in this post.

When you compare the differences how Americans used to make a means for themselves and their families back before the Federal Reserve was founded, (by private bankers mind you) where one person could sustain the entire household with a single income, to now where both spouses have to work full time just to barely get by with a little bit of spending money for extracurriculars, while you witness the debt ceiling grow ever higher year after year after year and see the "public" debt increase year after year after year, you start to ask questions and when nobody has the answers, you begin to educate yourself on what the hell has happened to this once great nation by reading. The information is in those three books, which I will post again here, just in case anybody missed them the first time,
Attachment 206948

And here's one more for you if you have any doubts or if you continue to believe that I'm overreacting:
Attachment 206947

For more than 30 years, I've been filling out my own tax forms on paper, and sending them in via the United States Postal Service (except for the five years that I couldn't due to the American Healthcare Act and it's penalty mandate for not having health insurance, which was in direct conflict with my state constitution). Why do I continue to file manually? Because electronic filing makes the entire process automated which removes the human element from the equation. There are no options to bring up challenges to issues that you may run into or mistakes that may have been overlooked by government computers. To that government computer, you are simply a number....a taxpayer who must supply the correct calculated amount of income or you generate an error in the system which causes the output to automatically mail you pieces of paper informing you as such. When they address you in the letter, you'll see that they never call you by your name, they ALWAYS start with, "Dear Taxpayer....." Do yourself a favor and read those books to find out why.

And when you say that: "......part of the problem is the patchwork nature of updates. That itself is caused in part by clever tax professionals finding ways for rich people to avoid taxes.", I agree with you that part of the problem is the patchwork of updates, but disagree with you that it is the clever tax professionals making those changes. It's actually the private lawyers and professional lobbyists hired by the ultra-rich that influence the code-writing procedures to make sure the money always comes back to the pockets of the ultra-rich bankers.

Again, I still say that the Federal tax system is doing exactly what it has been designed to do. And for those that want to learn the reasons why, the information is right there in those books.
Man, you should take a step back and reexamine your life choices.

There are plenty of single income households. I work, my wife doesn't. For years my mom worked and my dad didn't, with 3 kids and saving for our college. My grandfather would very much disagree with your opinion on one person being able to sustain the entire household on a single income.

Simple fact is people want more today for less, and the crazy thing is they get it. It's too bad you can't talk to people that were actually alive in the 1910s and 1920s, you might learn something. For example, you got a car?

I've never had a problem with reporting my taxes to the IRS electronically. PA local tax had a problem once, but we got it resolved with no penalties.
Spuds is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-18-2021), Tcoat (11-18-2021)
Old 11-18-2021, 04:52 PM   #1638
FR-S2GT86
"I don't know."
 
FR-S2GT86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Location: West Virginia, USA
Posts: 1,176
Thanks: 167
Thanked 815 Times in 499 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Man, you should take a step back and reexamine your life choices.

There are plenty of single income households. I work, my wife doesn't. For years my mom worked and my dad didn't, with 3 kids and saving for our college. My grandfather would very much disagree with your opinion on one person being able to sustain the entire household on a single income.

Simple fact is people want more today for less, and the crazy thing is they get it. It's too bad you can't talk to people that were actually alive in the 1910s and 1920s, you might learn something. For example, you got a car?

I've never had a problem with reporting my taxes to the IRS electronically. PA local tax had a problem once, but we got it resolved with no penalties.

I don't feel it necessary to take a step back. I've made excellent life choices. In fact, after seven years with my current company, I'm starting a new job next week with a significant increase in pay.

And you're right, I really wish I could talk to some of those people back in those times. I could explain how we as a nation allowed our servant government to become this huge gorilla and could warn them not to make the mistakes that have led to it in the first place.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
My pubes are shaped like the number 86. There for Iím car. Derp
Count to muffens and call again.
Iím 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OFT KC learned Nah Software Tuning 3 03-17-2016 12:52 AM
Learned some interesting things about my car today... SisterBlue22 Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 12 08-09-2015 02:23 PM
Everything I know, I learned from the internet. Chillswitch Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) 17 01-09-2015 02:31 PM
KC learned, what does it mean? wparsons Software Tuning 4 08-15-2014 11:37 PM
Today I learned (TIL) IloveBaldEagles Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] 5 03-16-2013 08:15 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.