follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-24-2021, 02:59 AM   #15
timurrrr
Senior Member
 
timurrrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Drives: 2022 GR86 Neptune, 2017 BRZ with PP
Location: Between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Posts: 1,498
Thanks: 1,892
Thanked 1,074 Times in 619 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
To a future reader who's just starting to explore non-OEM alignment for these cars: -2.3 camber in is not a lot.
It's certainly better than zero, and might be just enough for the street,
but if you care about camber (HPDE, AutoX, etc.) you might want to target 3 or even more camber.

As another data point, with SPC camber bolts alone (SPC 81305, available on Amazon) I got ~1.75 camber in the front.
Combined with "about a full degree of camber" from these top hats, looks like we're getting into the ~2.75 territory.
As correctly mentioned in the first post, you probably won't be able to effectively use camber bolts with wheels like 17x9 +40 though.
timurrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timurrrr For This Useful Post:
norcalpb (03-24-2021), strat61caster (03-24-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 09:12 AM   #16
Racecomp Engineering
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Location: Severn, MD
Posts: 5,032
Thanks: 3,016
Thanked 6,698 Times in 2,706 Posts
Mentioned: 288 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Just FYI, going back to back with stock top mounts on the same exact suspension set up...0 change in ride height (as expected, but just wanted to be super sure). Also I feel like the stock mounts are a tiny tiny bit more compliant but it's not that noticeable. The added camber and caster are very noticeable and the stock alignment is no fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
To a future reader who's just starting to explore non-OEM alignment for these cars: -2.3 camber in is not a lot.
It's certainly better than zero, and might be just enough for the street,
but if you care about camber (HPDE, AutoX, etc.) you might want to target 3 or even more camber.

As another data point, with SPC camber bolts alone (SPC 81305, available on Amazon) I got ~1.75 camber in the front.
Combined with "about a full degree of camber" from these top hats, looks like we're getting into the ~2.75 territory.
As correctly mentioned in the first post, you probably won't be able to effectively use camber bolts with wheels like 17x9 +40 though.
Yeah I'd say -2.3 degrees is plenty for the street and great for backroads fun and "light" autox or track use...meaning you're out to have fun but making some compromises because you're also daily driving the car. You'd want more camber for the real sticky tires and/or to be faster.

I think that's the real target for these tops...for more dedicated track use you'll want adjustable camber plates. You could get just over -3 degrees with these on RCE Tarmac 2s or KWs with the OEM 14mm upper bolt though.

- Andrew
__________________
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Cephas (03-24-2021), RToyo86 (05-19-2022), timurrrr (03-24-2021), Ultramaroon (03-24-2021), wparsons (04-23-2022)
Old 03-24-2021, 01:23 PM   #17
Ultramaroon
not slacking
 
Ultramaroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 28,820
Thanks: 46,352
Thanked 31,662 Times in 16,688 Posts
Mentioned: 1039 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
Also I feel like the stock mounts are a tiny tiny bit more compliant but it's not that noticeable.
Thanks, Andrew. I was going to ask about that. All other things equal, moving the bearing off center in the isolator, I was wondering how much more of the high frequency stuff would get through.
__________________
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ultramaroon For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (03-24-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 04:25 PM   #18
Anthonyc777
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Drives: White Toyota 86
Location: FL
Posts: 28
Thanks: 1
Thanked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Thanks, Andrew. I was going to ask about that. All other things equal, moving the bearing off center in the isolator, I was wondering how much more of the high frequency stuff would get through.
The other factor could be these top hats used with a true coilover vs a oem shock/spring combo. Shouldnt be too different, but at least on my oem shock/spring combo there was very little difference between OEM top hat and these, as I mentioned in my OP I almost feel the suspension is more compliant with the new top hats, but its very hard to tell.

The other way to look at these is the price per performance aspect. Camber bolts win here if all you care about is camber, but camber + caster these come in at half the cost of the cheapest adjustable top hats, and around 1/4 cheaper then the higher end top hats. For those drivers that just like to get a modest upgrade maybe for a spirited daily or light auto x / track (as RCE mentioned) that arent trying to max their camber out and have full adjustability, for the price these are a solid upgrade imo.
Anthonyc777 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anthonyc777 For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (03-24-2021), timurrrr (03-24-2021), Ultramaroon (03-24-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 05:02 PM   #19
timurrrr
Senior Member
 
timurrrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Drives: 2022 GR86 Neptune, 2017 BRZ with PP
Location: Between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Posts: 1,498
Thanks: 1,892
Thanked 1,074 Times in 619 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthonyc777 View Post
For those drivers that just like to get a modest upgrade maybe for a spirited daily or light auto x / track (as RCE mentioned) that arent trying to max their camber out and have full adjustability, for the price these are a solid upgrade imo.
100%. I'd totally get these if I was building a street-only car and didn't already have coilovers.

Just wanted to give a reference point for people who actually do plan to do AutoX/track that these hats, even with camber bolts, might not be enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
I think that's the real target for these tops...for more dedicated track use you'll want adjustable camber plates. You could get just over -3 degrees with these on RCE Tarmac 2s or KWs with the OEM 14mm upper bolt though.
That's a great data point!
timurrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timurrrr For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (03-24-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 05:50 PM   #20
jflogerzi
Senior Member
 
jflogerzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Location: Moreno Valley, CA
Posts: 5,189
Thanks: 1,850
Thanked 1,825 Times in 1,337 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Here are my alignment specs. I plan to use these for a season and as I get better as a driver some T2's, KWv3, similar quality coils are in my future.
Attached Images
 
__________________
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE SS-1s, SPC LCAs -3/2.3 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 RE71rs 235s
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (03-24-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 05:55 PM   #21
Ultramaroon
not slacking
 
Ultramaroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 28,820
Thanks: 46,352
Thanked 31,662 Times in 16,688 Posts
Mentioned: 1039 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthonyc777 View Post
The other way to look at these is the price per performance aspect. Camber bolts win here if all you care about is camber, but camber + caster these come in at half the cost of the cheapest adjustable top hats, and around 1/4 cheaper then the higher end top hats. For those drivers that just like to get a modest upgrade maybe for a spirited daily or light auto x / track (as RCE mentioned) that arent trying to max their camber out and have full adjustability, for the price these are a solid upgrade imo.
Exactly my goal. I'm hoping to address the steady-state understeer with the smallest scalpel I can possibly use. I have a second set of stock dampers I will slot for the rest. My alignment guy is not a fan of camber bolts so I'm hoping to win some extra goodwill by following his advice.
__________________
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 10:27 AM   #22
RToyo86
Senior Member
 
RToyo86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,633
Thanks: 1,133
Thanked 1,432 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I looked into getting a set of these as they're backordered.
I sent pedders an email and got a response today that their shipment won't be in til the end of May.

Last edited by RToyo86; 03-30-2021 at 08:40 AM.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 12:31 PM   #23
dasting
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Location: NJ
Posts: 36
Thanks: 7
Thanked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
I looked into getting a set of these as they're backordered.
I sent pedders an email and got a response today that their shipment is 70 days out. Looks like I won't be able to order them til June/July if I want to wait to install my B6s.
I bought these three weeks ago. I got one through FT86 speed, it arrived and i realized it wasn't sold as a set and was able to grab one more from ebay just as everyone started listing as back ordered.

I haven't thrown them on yet. With the eibach pro-kit lowering springs, bottom strut bolt to top bolt, and SPC 14mm new bottom bolt, I was able to get to -2.4* camber. I am hoping this puts me at -3* or more, I'll report back once I get them in.

My car is 99% DD but I do take it to the track and autocross from time to time. There is no question with RS4s I am currently under-cambered. I don't have the need to go full adjustability and coils and spend $2500 on decent stuff. My goal was to do a mild, budget build to see what the car could do. At NJMP Lighting, I was running high 1:17s, about on par with spec miata front runner lap times, so I'm pretty happy with that. Since then I've added a header, tune, and will be bolting these on, and hoping to find some more time. I think over adjustability is an unneeded and not-well-understood issue for many people, and I liked that these keep NVH at bay too. I'll report back in May when I get back on track.
__________________
2013 BRZ Limited, NASA Instructor, ex-spec miata racer
dasting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dasting For This Useful Post:
BlueWhelan (03-25-2021), RToyo86 (03-25-2021), Ultramaroon (03-25-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 05:51 PM   #24
Anthonyc777
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Drives: White Toyota 86
Location: FL
Posts: 28
Thanks: 1
Thanked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
I looked into getting a set of these as they're backordered.
I sent pedders an email and got a response today that their shipment is 70 days out. Looks like I won't be able to order them til June/July if I want to wait to install my B6s.
Try ebay sellers, I emailed ftspeed, pedders and an ebay seller. Surprisingly the ebay seller said their supplier had some in stock and I was able to get them despite the backorder.
Anthonyc777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 06:01 PM   #25
Anthonyc777
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Drives: White Toyota 86
Location: FL
Posts: 28
Thanks: 1
Thanked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasting View Post
I think over adjustability is an unneeded and not-well-understood issue for many people, and I liked that these keep NVH at bay too. I'll report back in May when I get back on track.
I have the same sentiment, i've had fully adjustable stuff in the past and I end up never touching it anyway or becomes more of a burden having to worry about setting it up and adjusting it. Some might like to always be tweaking their set ups and optimizing, for me the ease of not having to touch or worry about it is nice as well.

its become a big marketing push with coilovers as well having "32 adjustments" when in reality there's only like 5-10 clicks that actually do something.
Anthonyc777 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthonyc777 For This Useful Post:
BlueWhelan (03-26-2021), Ultramaroon (03-25-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 07:51 PM   #26
RToyo86
Senior Member
 
RToyo86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,633
Thanks: 1,133
Thanked 1,432 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthonyc777 View Post
Try ebay sellers, I emailed ftspeed, pedders and an ebay seller. Surprisingly the ebay seller said their supplier had some in stock and I was able to get them despite the backorder.
Thanks for the tip. Just checked and there was only one left via eBay.
$130 shipped per. Damn you CAD.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 09:38 PM   #27
dasting
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Location: NJ
Posts: 36
Thanks: 7
Thanked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthonyc777 View Post
I have the same sentiment, i've had fully adjustable stuff in the past and I end up never touching it anyway or becomes more of a burden having to worry about setting it up and adjusting it. Some might like to always be tweaking their set ups and optimizing, for me the ease of not having to touch or worry about it is nice as well.

its become a big marketing push with coilovers as well having "32 adjustments" when in reality there's only like 5-10 clicks that actually do something.
Agreed, all that "32 WAY ADJUSTABLE!!!" is just marketing bs. Don't get me wrong, full adjustability in height, rebound and compression has its place, and for those looking for tenths and know what adjustments to make, it's worth it. For street, it's not needed (caveat - high end dampers that have true soft and hard settings).





Anyway, threw these in today. Super easy install, took about 30 minutes all in. And they got me basically exactly as advertised - I went from -2.4* to -3.2*. With my allseasons on and an easy drive to home cheapot, there wasn't a huge difference in feel, but should get me where I need to be on track.
__________________
2013 BRZ Limited, NASA Instructor, ex-spec miata racer
dasting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dasting For This Useful Post:
jflogerzi (03-30-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 08:45 PM   #28
billstock67
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Location: NE Illinois
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Installed Pedders, along with B6 & Yellow springs. Front camber is L -1.34, R -1.78, without crash or camber bolts. Preloaded everything to maximum camber direction before tightening, to take advantage of normal clearances.
billstock67 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billstock67 For This Useful Post:
botbs (05-16-2022), solidONE (03-31-2021)
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pedders top hats and subaru camber bolts... results. 7 skulls Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 58 02-01-2021 06:24 PM
Pedders Top Hat w/ Camber & Caster Offset - Anyone with experience? Jamestl Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 18 11-16-2018 04:35 PM
FS: RCE T2 Coilovers w/RCE Camber Plates and MSI Top Hats jprice130 Brakes, Suspension, Chassis 4 09-23-2016 09:36 PM
FS: Robispec rear top hats, OEM front top hats, Scion wheel caps, OEM coin holder MyRx Brakes, Suspension, Chassis 5 10-12-2014 02:14 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.