follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-11-2021, 12:18 PM   #1
alex87f
Meow
 
alex87f's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Drives: GT86
Location: Belgium
Posts: 261
Thanks: 141
Thanked 178 Times in 93 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Suspension noise after J02?

Hello everyone,

Lately, my car's been making a sort of wobbly suspension noise at low speeds, which seems to manifest itself more frequently since I did the J02 recall a couple of months ago.

It's a mid-to-low pitched wobble noise coming from the front of the car, as it something were loose. Only appears at low speeds on uneven pavement, and seems especially present in colder weather.

Anyone has any idea what it is? Is there anything done during the J02 recall that could create such a noise? It doesn't seem like motor mounts as clutching in / out doesn't change anything.

Thanks!
Best regards,
alex87f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 02:57 PM   #2
norcalpb
Senior Member
 
norcalpb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Drives: '13 DGM BRZ Limted
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,927
Thanks: 875
Thanked 634 Times in 447 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Do you have a video you can post?
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 05:40 PM   #3
stacyu18
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Drives: 2014 subaru brz
Location: indiana
Posts: 61
Thanks: 3
Thanked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
we dumb question is the tires tight or a bad tire lol
stacyu18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 07:28 PM   #4
x808drifter
LMGTFY
 
x808drifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Location: Lava Town, HI
Posts: 1,962
Thanks: 2,307
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,109 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacyu18 View Post
we dumb question is the tires tight or a bad tire lol
Holy sh*t I think i had a mild stroke trying to read that.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to x808drifter For This Useful Post:
ka-t_240 (02-23-2021), pope (02-11-2021), Sniepster (02-15-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 08:06 PM   #5
TommyW
Senior Member
 
TommyW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: '13 Whiteout
Location: San Clemente
Posts: 1,364
Thanks: 455
Thanked 1,095 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex87f View Post
Hello everyone,

Lately, my car's been making a sort of wobbly suspension noise at low speeds, which seems to manifest itself more frequently since I did the J02 recall a couple of months ago.

It's a mid-to-low pitched wobble noise coming from the front of the car, as it something were loose. Only appears at low speeds on uneven pavement, and seems especially present in colder weather.

Anyone has any idea what it is? Is there anything done during the J02 recall that could create such a noise? It doesn't seem like motor mounts as clutching in / out doesn't change anything.

Thanks!
Best regards,
Probably coincidental.
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 01:37 PM   #6
alex87f
Meow
 
alex87f's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Drives: GT86
Location: Belgium
Posts: 261
Thanks: 141
Thanked 178 Times in 93 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I think so too - it'll be hard to make a video of it though, as the noise is somewhat evasive.

I'm starting to wonder whether this might not be some rock in the under engine protection, or said protection being loose.

Is there such a thing as a suspension noise that only happens on very light road imperfections, but not at all on larger bumps?
alex87f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 01:51 PM   #7
ka-t_240
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Drives: BRZ
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 926
Thanks: 112
Thanked 304 Times in 220 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Suspension noises can be the biggest pain to track down. The only thing tfrom the J02 recall that would in any way cause a noise like this is if they forgot to tighten a engine mount or you batter mounts or something like that. I would say if that was the case, you would have already found the issue or it would be getting worse/worse.

I would suggest going under the car and do the following:
check all the under trays are tight
check your sway bar end links are tight/and not broken
check for wheel bearing play/loose lug nuts.

If nothing comes to light, have someone stand on the door sill, and "bounce" to get some suspension movement and see if the noise is audible while stationary.
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ka-t_240 For This Useful Post:
alex87f (02-24-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 03:03 PM   #8
alex87f
Meow
 
alex87f's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Drives: GT86
Location: Belgium
Posts: 261
Thanks: 141
Thanked 178 Times in 93 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I've noticed I have some play in the driver's side foglamp, which might be the cause of the issue.

Also have noisy brake pads that rattle when turning the wheel, I'm thinking those might be the cause of my problem (see this thread: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...t=96633&page=2)
alex87f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 01:29 PM   #9
alex87f
Meow
 
alex87f's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Drives: GT86
Location: Belgium
Posts: 261
Thanks: 141
Thanked 178 Times in 93 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It's been a while, but I've been able to rule out the foglamp and brake pads as potential cause.

I also finally got around to lifting the driver's side front wheel to check for any play around the wheel area. Couldn't find anything loose in the wheel arch, but I did notice some play in the wheel:



Is this normal? It felt like it was just the column bumping into the steering lock, I could see the steering wheel move a bit as I was fumbling with the wheel. It's the only "loose" thing I could find in this area.
alex87f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:00 AM   #10
dasting
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Location: NJ
Posts: 36
Thanks: 7
Thanked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex87f View Post
It's been a while, but I've been able to rule out the foglamp and brake pads as potential cause.

I also finally got around to lifting the driver's side front wheel to check for any play around the wheel area. Couldn't find anything loose in the wheel arch, but I did notice some play in the wheel:

Is this normal? It felt like it was just the column bumping into the steering lock, I could see the steering wheel move a bit as I was fumbling with the wheel. It's the only "loose" thing I could find in this area.
That's a lot of movement. Usually it's worn tie rod ends that cause it, but that almost looks like too much, and there's a weird thump associated with it. Take the wheel off and check everything, it shouldn't be that hard to spot. Make sure the main bolts holding the rack in place are tight.
__________________
2013 BRZ Limited, NASA Instructor, ex-spec miata racer

Last edited by dasting; 03-17-2021 at 10:07 AM.
dasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 12:29 PM   #11
alex87f
Meow
 
alex87f's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Drives: GT86
Location: Belgium
Posts: 261
Thanks: 141
Thanked 178 Times in 93 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I had to put a lot of strength to make it move, and the thump wasn't coming from the wheel area.

My guess is that it's coming from the anti-theft steering column lock. As I'm moving the wheel, I'm causing the steering rack to move, which turns the steering wheel and makes the column bump against the limits of the car's anti-theft column lock (and that's what's you're hearing).
alex87f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 03:43 PM   #12
sharpsicle
Certs You Dont Care About
 
sharpsicle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Drives: 2013 Galaxy Blue BRZ
Location: Milwaukee, WI / Tampa, FL
Posts: 230
Thanks: 34
Thanked 131 Times in 80 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasting View Post
That's a lot of movement. Usually it's worn tie rod ends that cause it, but that almost looks like too much, and there's a weird thump associated with it. Take the wheel off and check everything, it shouldn't be that hard to spot. Make sure the main bolts holding the rack in place are tight.
I agree, that seems like an awful lot of movement. Also remember that if the wheel on the other side is on the ground, you probably aren't moving the entire steering rack that much. Don't discount the idea that you have loose suspension components based on a gut feeling or a hunch.
sharpsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 12:05 AM   #13
DarkSideFRS
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Drives: 2013 pearl white FR-S
Location: Socal
Posts: 536
Thanks: 39
Thanked 191 Times in 124 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
U're lucky if u walked away from the recall work with just loose suspension lol
DarkSideFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSideFRS For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (03-21-2021)
Old 03-21-2021, 12:11 PM   #14
alex87f
Meow
 
alex87f's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Drives: GT86
Location: Belgium
Posts: 261
Thanks: 141
Thanked 178 Times in 93 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpsicle View Post
I agree, that seems like an awful lot of movement. Also remember that if the wheel on the other side is on the ground, you probably aren't moving the entire steering rack that much. Don't discount the idea that you have loose suspension components based on a gut feeling or a hunch.
You had me worried here, so I re-did the same check, this time filming what happens on the opposite side wheel (passenger front), as I'm moving the driver's side front wheel.

As you can see, the other side of the rack is moving too, so it's not an issue in how the left wheel links up with the rack.



I also tried again with the ignition on (to remove the steering lock), and the bumping noise you could year in my first video a couple of posts earlier goes away completely, meaning it was indeed coming from the ignition-off steering lock.



With that said, I'm back to square one as to where the wobble noise I hear when driving is coming from.
alex87f is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Noise in front suspension Stomachbuzz Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 13 01-30-2020 01:54 PM
Seriously - more suspension noise Scoob Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 16 05-23-2018 01:43 AM
Suspension Loud Noise jdavila Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 2 09-15-2017 12:15 PM
Suspension noise? HubertK Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 4 07-09-2017 08:50 PM
Stock suspension noise lite Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 6 06-12-2016 05:55 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.