follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-08-2020, 02:40 PM   #15
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Drives: 2013 White
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Can confirm, small electronics can interfere with the seat sensors.

Added note, OP @Stomachbuzz I believe if you take it into a toyota dealer they can disable the chime.

If not,

You should get an OBDII Mini cable/Techstream software on here and can disable that annoying chime. I disabled mine but the passenger light still shows up. Can also do other things like turn up the volume of the car lock beep, reset/add new tire sensors, program new key, reset engine codes, etc.
Stomachbuzz (01-08-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 03:55 PM   #16
Stomachbuzz

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaR86 View Post
Can confirm, small electronics can interfere with the seat sensors.

Added note, OP @Stomachbuzz I believe if you take it into a toyota dealer they can disable the chime.

If not,

You should get an OBDII Mini cable/Techstream software on here and can disable that annoying chime. I disabled mine but the passenger light still shows up. Can also do other things like turn up the volume of the car lock beep, reset/add new tire sensors, program new key, reset engine codes, etc.

Thank you! I appreciate that.
I had no idea that the dealership might disable the chime. If asked, I would have thought that would be illegal, or against some policy.
The chime doesn't bother me as much of the idea that the SRS system may be faulty.

Also, thanks for mentioning the Techstream. I bought an interface, but seem to have misplaced it. I barely used it and I'm still pretty ignorant of its features.

Do you know a lot about it?
Specifically, I bought a 2008 Tundra that only came with the valet key. I wanted to make new keys for it, including a remote key, but new keys cannot be registered using a non-master key (valet). I saw the Techstream had an option to 'reset keys' or such, but I was scared I wouldn't have a way to drive it anymore.
Stomachbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:01 PM   #17
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Drives: 2013 White
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stomachbuzz View Post
Do you know a lot about it?
Specifically, I bought a 2008 Tundra that only came with the valet key. I wanted to make new keys for it, including a remote key, but new keys cannot be registered using a non-master key (valet). I saw the Techstream had an option to 'reset keys' or such, but I was scared I wouldn't have a way to drive it anymore.

I haven't made a new key myself with the software.

You do need a transponder "G Chip". The remote lock/unlock buttons can be paired easily.

I gutted my valet key for my FRS. Transponder and put it in a new casing and had the key copied/cut. There is a DIY guide around here. I'd imagine it'd be the same for your 08 Tundra.
Stomachbuzz (01-09-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 12:02 AM   #18
Stomachbuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaR86 View Post
I haven't made a new key myself with the software.

You do need a transponder "G Chip". The remote lock/unlock buttons can be paired easily.

I gutted my valet key for my FRS. Transponder and put it in a new casing and had the key copied/cut. There is a DIY guide around here. I'd imagine it'd be the same for your 08 Tundra.
This is true. Use the 'pill' from the valet key to swap into a remote clamshell. But that doesn't solve the issue of it being a slave key vs master copy.

Oh well. I'll ask around more thoroughly when I care more about the issue lol
Old 01-20-2020, 06:36 PM   #19
mrhayes1

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS white
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
For the seatbelt thing, just go eBay and type in "seatbelt alarm stopper" and find one that fits your car. I just use a dog seatbelt that plugs in. Even when my dog is not in the car, I just always leave it plugged in and it will never go off again. Obviously the only draw back to this is you/your passengers have to unplug it when they get it and want to use the real seatbelt.

Got tired of my phone and backpack setting off the passenger side seatbelt alarm. At that point, it became a safety hazard and I was more likely to crash trying to get the thing to shut off driving down the freeway. I don't know for sure but I find it very highly unlikely that a dealer would ever disable a seatbelt chime.
mrhayes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 06:44 PM   #20
mrhayes1

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS white
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Also, regarding the AC thing, I have a remote start in my car and almost always use it when starting the car. Ever since that time my AC has been a bit finicky. It will randomly not work when the car starts sometimes. The AC compressor wont fire or nothing. I have to stop the car and turn it all the way off sometimes once or twice before it works. This has been ongoing for the last 2 years. Just thought I would share that.

Just curious...if your AC is not working, have you tried restarting the car a couple times or perhaps disconnecting the battery? How long has this been going on for?
mrhayes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 12:26 PM   #21
Stomachbuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhayes1 View Post
Also, regarding the AC thing, I have a remote start in my car and almost always use it when starting the car. Ever since that time my AC has been a bit finicky. It will randomly not work when the car starts sometimes. The AC compressor wont fire or nothing. I have to stop the car and turn it all the way off sometimes once or twice before it works. This has been ongoing for the last 2 years. Just thought I would share that.

Just curious...if your AC is not working, have you tried restarting the car a couple times or perhaps disconnecting the battery? How long has this been going on for?
Apparently the fuse that controls the AC was missing entirely. I didn't notice it the first time around because all fuses for HVAC are labeled "heater". Obviously didn't check 'heater' when looking into AC issues lol

I vaguely remember swapping around some fuses like 4 months ago to troubleshoot an issue elsewhere on the car, but pretty surprised I would have not replaced the fuse.
It was definitely a 'brain funk' episode for me. After a few minutes, I gave up thinking about it and decided to tell myself that the AC fuse had been gone for ~3-4 months, even though that seemed very odd as my defogger was working perfectly until a week prior.