follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 07-29-2019, 12:03 PM   #43
rennlistuser3

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by James H View Post
Transmission: no manual option for C8 so bummer. But DCT of C8 seems to be really good .... twin clutch transmission have not fared well for Ford at all. So much so that they stopped using it in their cars, at least in North America.
I know a lot of C7 owners who had major engine problems (blow engines and disintegrated torque tubes). At one point, Chevy dealerships had stacks of new engines in crates sitting on their receiving dock. And have fun dealing with GM customer service....
I don't expect things to be any better with the other big name performance vehicles out there.

I won't mention any names here because I'll get trolled or hated on like every single time I mentioned specific names. Backing it up with data doesn't help either.

But yeah, I'm not hoping the C8 will be more reliable than similar performance vehicles just hopefully cheaper and easier to fix.

The more I think about it, I'd want to keep the BRZ and get the C8. Both are too good to pass on.
rennlistuser3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rennlistuser3 For This Useful Post:
yurikaze (08-15-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 01:59 PM   #44
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rennlistuser3 View Post
Wait, how is this? you got my interest...

Is your BRZ heavily modified for this to happen? or the Corvette just really more fuel efficient in the real world?

I say this because in my own BRZ (2017 Limited PP) I easily get 34 MPG highway going 70 MPH when it is rated at 29.

I'm wondering if the Vette does way better in the real world than what is quoted?

I know its not a current model but my C5Z got routinely about 28-29 cruising on the highway. Sometimes I dipped in to the 30's. At 80 MPH the thing is sitting at maybe 1100 RPM so its basically idling the entire time cruising in 6th. They're also very aerodynamic. I get religiously 31 or 32 MPG no matter how I drive the BRZ when commuting so, I can't say better, but not in the realm of decision breaking if it was literally down to highway MPG.

Quote:
Transmission: no manual option for C8 so bummer. But DCT of C8 seems to be really good .... twin clutch transmission have not fared well for Ford at all. So much so that they stopped using it in their cars, at least in North America.
I know a lot of C7 owners who had major engine problems (blow engines and disintegrated torque tubes). At one point, Chevy dealerships had stacks of new engines in crates sitting on their receiving dock. And have fun dealing with GM customer service....

Were they specifically Z06's or what? How many C7 owners do you know? Never heard of any glaring issues besides the overheating on track with the Z06.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:17 AM   #45
Silvermk2

Drives: Toyota Supra 2JZGTE VVTi
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Wait, how is this? you got my interest...

Is your BRZ heavily modified for this to happen? or the Corvette just really more fuel efficient in the real world?

I say this because in my own BRZ (2017 Limited PP) I easily get 34 MPG highway going 70 MPH when it is rated at 29.

I'm wondering if the Vette does way better in the real world than what is quoted?
First off I wouldn't trust the gas mileage thing on the dash mine has always seemed off about 2 mpg on the optimistic side. Stock I got around 30, once I switched to Pilot Super Sports it dropped down to 27, and now with the Edelbrock kit its around 22-24. I get about 240 miles on a tank of gas give or take these days. My C5Z could hit 28-30 pretty easily and the C6Z was 25-28. Granted if you drove them hard they all get terrible gas mileage. But the Corvettes cruises at 1400 RPM at like 80mph vs like 2.5x that in these cars. The C6 had a large trunk and with great gas mileage it was a great road trip vacation car. The thing I hated the most was the sketchy handling. While it handled great it was just never predictable. You could never really trust it and always had that impending sense of doom feeling going on.

Personally kinds of disappointed the C8 has no manual. I was originally pretty hyped that this was going to be a modern Pantera and get me back into Vettes, but for me no manual = doesn't buy.
Silvermk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Silvermk2 For This Useful Post:
rennlistuser3 (07-31-2019)
Old 07-31-2019, 09:27 PM   #46
rennlistuser3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermk2 View Post
First off I wouldn't trust the gas mileage thing on the dash mine has always seemed off about 2 mpg on the optimistic side. Stock I got around 30, once I switched to Pilot Super Sports it dropped down to 27, and now with the Edelbrock kit its around 22-24. I get about 240 miles on a tank of gas give or take these days. My C5Z could hit 28-30 pretty easily and the C6Z was 25-28. Granted if you drove them hard they all get terrible gas mileage. But the Corvettes cruises at 1400 RPM at like 80mph vs like 2.5x that in these cars. The C6 had a large trunk and with great gas mileage it was a great road trip vacation car. The thing I hated the most was the sketchy handling. While it handled great it was just never predictable. You could never really trust it and always had that impending sense of doom feeling going on.

Personally kinds of disappointed the C8 has no manual. I was originally pretty hyped that this was going to be a modern Pantera and get me back into Vettes, but for me no manual = doesn't buy.
I seem to remember I did do my own test for the BRZ and found that the 34 MPG was accurate but this is off hazy memory. I should've logged it I guess.

But anyway, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if the Vette turned very good highway MPG. I've never own a Vette per say but I did own V8 Chevys and they do return surprising highway MPGs considering they're big lumpy V8s.

I've never tried a DCT in any of the car's I've owned before so I wonder how much I'd like/hate one. Before I got the BRZ I was debating getting the GTi for one sake is to test out this DCT and see how it suites me personally. I expect the manual to be more fun for me personally but honestly never did try the DCT.

This doesn't make choices any easier

If money grew on trees......

C8 Vette
BRZ
Jeep Wrangler
Ferrari 458
Old 07-31-2019, 10:09 PM   #47
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I seem to remember I did do my own test for the BRZ and found that the 34 MPG was accurate but this is off hazy memory. I should've logged it I guess.

But anyway, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if the Vette turned very good highway MPG. I've never own a Vette per say but I did own V8 Chevys and they do return surprising highway MPGs considering they're big lumpy V8s.

I've never tried a DCT in any of the car's I've owned before so I wonder how much I'd like/hate one. Before I got the BRZ I was debating getting the GTi for one sake is to test out this DCT and see how it suites me personally. I expect the manual to be more fun for me personally but honestly never did try the DCT.

This doesn't make choices any easier

C8 Vette
BRZ
Jeep Wrangler
Ferrari 458
Pass on the 458 tbh. F8 Tributo or 812 SUPERFAST.
Old 08-01-2019, 01:30 PM   #48
James H

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Why would anyone buying a 6L pushrod V8 care about gas mileage? It reminds me of people who order a double Big Mac, large fries, apple pie but then making sure they get that diet Coke so they don't take in too many calories Really?!!
James H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 03:10 PM   #49
rennlistuser3

Quote:
Why would anyone buying a 6L pushrod V8 care about gas mileage? It reminds me of people who order a double Big Mac, large fries, apple pie but then making sure they get that diet Coke so they don't take in too many calories Really?!!
In this specific case you are very correct in your statement

Say for approximately the national average annual mileage in the US (12000 miles) gas costing say 3$/gallon than the difference in cost between BRZ (24 MPG) and C7 Corvette (19 MPG) is just a measly 30$/month extra on the BRZ which is nothing considering the extra performance you get for a vehicle primarily purchased for fun factor.

This is due to the very impressive MPG of the Corvette which is not expected at over 3x the engine displacement of the BRZ!

A Ferrari 458 on the other hand with comparable engine performance to the Corvette only gives 14 MPG, this'll result in about 90$/month extra on the BRZ. This figure is still measly considering this is a Ferrari with all other costs being more significant.

But hey, it never hurts to check if i didn't I would've thought the Corvette be more at 13 MPG and I'll be paying over a 100$/month difference and that is significant money for me personally.

But that's just me, I do like to budget carefully for everything. People are different I guess
Old 08-01-2019, 04:06 PM   #50
sofrsnsokleen
GEARS!!???

Drives: raven black 2013 scion fr-s
Location: the southeast side of san antonio, where the players play!
If I could afford the C8 Vette there wouldn't be a question.
What Chevy accomplished is pretty amazing when you think about it.
60k for a mid engine v8 "supercar".
I used quotations because someone will chime in and say its not a super car and say the mclaren p1 etc is, when actually those are considered hypercars and I don't really feel like debating.
sofrsnsokleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 04:37 PM   #51
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

I'd build a cabin in the forest (with 20 miles of curvy hot mix asphalt to the garage door).
rennlistuser3 (08-01-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 04:40 PM   #52
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
In this specific case you are very correct in your statement

Say for approximately the national average annual mileage in the US (12000 miles) gas costing say 3$/gallon than the difference in cost between BRZ (24 MPG) and C7 Corvette (19 MPG) is just a measly 30$/month extra on the BRZ which is nothing considering the extra performance you get for a vehicle primarily purchased for fun factor.

This is due to the very impressive MPG of the Corvette which is not expected at over 3x the engine displacement of the BRZ!

A Ferrari 458 on the other hand with comparable engine performance to the Corvette only gives 14 MPG, this'll result in about 90$/month extra on the BRZ. This figure is still measly considering this is a Ferrari with all other costs being more significant.

But hey, it never hurts to check if i didn't I would've thought the Corvette be more at 13 MPG and I'll be paying over a 100$/month difference and that is significant money for me personally.

But that's just me, I do like to budget carefully for everything. People are different I guess
If you're buying a C8 or a 458, does the $100 really matter. Just rake the leaves.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:02 PM   #53
rennlistuser3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Spaulding View Post
If you're buying a C8 or a 458, does the $100 really matter. Just rake the leaves.

So.... say that I bought a hypothetical C8 with a crappy efficient V8 that only returned say for the sake of argument 13 MPG as opposed to 19 and I ned up paying $100 extra per month just for this crappy efficiency. This is a total annual of $1200.

For the sake of argument, if the C8 depreciates the same way the C7 did, than according to this website, I will stand to lose $5860 annually on depreciation if I sell it in 3 years according to this website.

That'll be 20% of of the money I'd lost on car depreciation just for an inefficient V8 engine Vs. an efficient one.

That to me does matter but this is me. People are different on how they manage their finances and there is no right or wrong in any this.

Corolla owners are the real winners
Old 08-02-2019, 03:58 PM   #54
xdavidx
Emperor McDuck

Drives: 2019 86 GT; 2018 BMW S1000RR
Quote:
Corolla owners are the real winners
If they are happy driving a Corolla, they absolutely are.

Take the extra money, invest it early in life, and retired 15 years sooner.

Though the new Yaris is even hotter. $15k, manual transmission, and 40mpg
xdavidx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:09 AM   #55
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Pricing announced for the C8. 1LT is $59,995, 2LT $67,295, 3LT $71,945

https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...885884#pricing
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to raven1231 For This Useful Post:
rennlistuser3 (08-15-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 11:41 AM   #56
rennlistuser3

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven1231 View Post
Pricing announced for the C8. 1LT is $59,995, 2LT $67,295, 3LT $71,945

https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...885884#pricing
Also Z51 package $5,000 and nose-lift system is $1,495

If I had mine configured it would be a 2LT with Z51 and nose lift for around 75k which isn't bad at all considering the performance and even luxury items you get.
The Following User Says Thank You to rennlistuser3 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (08-15-2019)