follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 10-26-2022, 08:16 PM   #1
TheBRZsKnees

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Connecting Aftermarket Sound Systems

I'm hoping for some general audio expertise. I'm trying to install a new Joying stereo system, but I'm feeling out of my depth when it comes to some of the wires for my aftermarket accessories.

I consulting Joying, who said to stick with the harness for my car's stock stereo (2014 BRZ Limited). I have an existing backup camera and amp though, so there are a few wires I'm uncertain about.

The black is a ground that I'll likely need to splice into one of the black wires in the harness, as was the case with my last Pioneer unit.

The blue seems like it should connect to the (only) loose blue wire on the harness, but that wire is labeled "Brake" and I had though that my blue wire was an amp power trigger.

The green and red wires are somewhat mysteries to me. I think green is a reverse trigger and red may be reverse camera power. I'm at a loss as to what to do with these. On the harness, the "amp 2017-2017 / 2018-2021" wires and the AMP CTRL wires are the only ones that are unused. The former route through the "CAN BUS DECODER." At this point, I'm wondering if I can splice these remaining wires in, or if I need a new harness entirely. Any input is appreciated!
Old 10-26-2022, 08:47 PM   #2
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
that's a lot of add-on wires. it's your car, if you don't know what they are, no one else will either!

i would end up tracing those wires, about the only way to ensure what they go to.
Old 10-27-2022, 02:36 AM   #3
TheBRZsKnees

Garage
The red, black, and green all appear to trace back to my Rydeen Duo2 reverse camera. This is confusing since it's not how the manual recommends connecting it. I did find a similar wiring setup for the Duo3, which seemed to indicate that red should go to ACC and green to the reverse trigger.

This seemed simple enough assuming the orange harness wire (BACK in the chart above) is the reverse trigger. The camera instead activates when turning on the headlights though.

From what I can tell, the singular blue harness wire is not the amp trigger as it had been with my two previous harnesses. Instead, it's apparently the orange and black.

Unfortunately I had to stop troubleshooting due to a bad battery. I'll replace it tomorrow and try again. UPDATE: Car wouldn't even jump without removing the harness (stereo was already disconnected) and disconnecting the battery for a minute. I'm assuming this is just due to my battery being borked, as I've known it was at low health for a while. Still, I can't help but wonder if the harness is causing a problem. I'm not too clear on what the CAN BUS attachment is for.

Last edited by TheBRZsKnees; 10-27-2022 at 12:33 PM.
TheBRZsKnees is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheBRZsKnees For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (10-27-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 11:44 PM   #4
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
canbus on the joying's is to control some of the vehicle settings. not really critical, and i'm not entirely sure it's supported. i know my oem '14 stereo didn't have any sort of functionality like that, which is what leads me to believe that it might not be supported.
TheBRZsKnees (10-28-2022)
Old 10-31-2022, 01:28 PM   #5
TheBRZsKnees

Garage
I was surprised to find that even with the replacement battery, the car wouldn't start with certain wires connected. I expected blown fuses, but didn't find any.

I stuck with splicing the red wire to the 12V ACC harness wire, and the black to the black ground wire. The head unit automatically turns the camera on when in reverse, so the green wire was not needed.

I also found that the orange and black wire would not start my Rockford Fosgate R600X5 amp. The ACC wire did the trick though, so both the backup camera and amp are now spliced to that red wire. Unsure if this is the best way, but it's working smoothly so far. Audio is clear and strong.

Tags
amp, joying, splice, stereo