follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 06-22-2022, 07:50 PM   #1
haders

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question 2013 Subaru BRZ Airbag/control module/crash sensor help :)

Hi all!

So I have a 2013 Subaru BRZ limited that I bought from auction. The steering wheel airbag was deployed and the front seat belts were locked up. I’m trying to repair the car and just trying to find out what parts I need to replace vs what can be reused.

Do I need to buy new crash sensors because of the airbag deployment? If so, do I need to replace both front crash sensors? The damage looks like it should have only impacted the front driver side crash sensors but when I look online it seems as though the front sensors are somehow interconnected.

I bought new seat belts for the car but they didn’t come with buckles. Do the old buckles need to be replaced as well since the seat belts were locked?

I had the airbag control module reset, where is a good option to get the system married back together?

Also when I drive to get the airbag system married together, is it an issue to drive without the airbag control module in the car?

Thanks in advance for the insight guys

Sort of a car newbie here but I’m super excited to drive my BRZ.
haders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 09:27 AM   #2
Wally86
Be Kind

Drives: 2020 86
Thanked 1,254 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I'm not much help but google can be. Just add "site:ft86club.com" to the end of your search for great help.

EG: front crash sensors site:ft86club.com yielded
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124469
Old 07-20-2022, 06:49 AM   #3
Stephen02

Drives: 2013 Manual Trans FR-S
How’s your project going?

Once you have the airbag module reset it should be plug and play, no need to marry it to the car.

I didn’t have any issue driving my FR-S without the airbag module.

The airbag sensors should be fine as long as they didn’t sustain any damage in the crash, at least I didn’t need to replace them on my car.

I’m not positive but I think you’ll be fine reusing the female end of the seat belt as in the part with the red button that says “PUSH” on it.

You probably already know this but MAKE SURE to disconnect the negative battery terminal and wait 20 minutes for any capacitors to drain before tackling anything SRS related.
Stephen02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 08:28 PM   #4
haders

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen02 View Post
How’s your project going?

Once you have the airbag module reset it should be plug and play, no need to marry it to the car.

I didn’t have any issue driving my FR-S without the airbag module.

The airbag sensors should be fine as long as they didn’t sustain any damage in the crash, at least I didn’t need to replace them on my car.

I’m not positive but I think you’ll be fine reusing the female end of the seat belt as in the part with the red button that says “PUSH” on it.

You probably already know this but MAKE SURE to disconnect the negative battery terminal and wait 20 minutes for any capacitors to drain before tackling anything SRS related.

Hi!

Thanks for your reply, this is good info.

My project is going well, just waiting on my clock spring to come in so I can put everything together. I bought new buckles but I’m going to try and reuse the old ones thanks to your advice!

I’m excited to register and be driving my car very soon

Did you work through similar issues with your FRS?
haders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 01:20 AM   #5
Stephen02

Drives: 2013 Manual Trans FR-S
Yes, I bought mine from an auction as well. I bought it thinking that there was no blown airbag as the damage was pretty light but when I got it I realized that someone had cut the driver's side curtain airbag and tucked it under the headliner!
Stephen02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airbag, control module, crash sensor, reset