follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 07-15-2022, 02:31 PM   #57
WRBRZk

Drives: potential 2023 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinge View Post
I put my order in 4/13 and got my VIN today, was told that it will arrive at the port on 7/29 and expect about two weeks to delivery at the dealer.

I imagine that several others may be getting their VINs by the end of the week.
How are dealers getting port ETA's? Is that a common thing? My salesguy told me that it is still on the ship, but he has no idea when it will arrive or how long it has been on the ship.

Is there anyone else around the GTA with a 2023 currently on the way with any information on this?
WRBRZk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 04:09 PM   #58
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,228 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRBRZk View Post
How are dealers getting port ETA's? Is that a common thing? My salesguy told me that it is still on the ship, but he has no idea when it will arrive or how long it has been on the ship.

Is there anyone else around the GTA with a 2023 currently on the way with any information on this?
There are websites that let you track the ship, assuming you know what ship it's on. Which should info the dealer or SOA has, since they aren't just putting a $30k on a boat and not know which boat it is.
Old 07-16-2022, 03:28 AM   #59
2020BRZtS

Drives: '20 BRZ tS (15/300) / '09 Scion tC
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petah78 View Post
I think the key is to get a VON (Vehicle Order Number). Unless you have that, it doesn't mean anything even if you left a deposit. I dealt with a couple dealers and my experience was:

Dealer 1. "crappy"
At the time of the leaving a deposit, i was undecided which trim i wanted. They were very relaxed about the entire thing and said i have plenty of time to decide. Just let them know when i have decided, meanwhile, i was dealing with dealer 2 which provided me with a VON so i kind of stopped following up with them. However, they never gave me a VON or followed up on the trim even after a couple months of leaving my deposit.

Dealer 2.
Same deal as dealer 1. But they were explicit as to when i have to let them know the trim. I provided the trim i wanted and they gave me a VON as soon as their order opened up the next month (apparently they get allocation monthly). The car followed the projected timelines and will arrive soon (confirmed).

My suspicion is that dealer 1 never even put my name on a car as they wanted to sell to whoever paid more. I was explicit that i will not be paying over MSRP so i bet they only wanted to keep me in their "back pocket" by taking a deposit but i feel i would have never gotten a car from them.
Unfortunately it's this exact situation that I feel dealers seem sketchy, vague, and non-committal. They know people put their name on multiple lists and will take the first one that comes up. Sure - it's a hot car to you but it's a low volume pain in the ass to them. They don't want to get stuck carrying the costs while it sits on their lot.

I never got a VON and my car just showed up. Three years later Subaru still does not recognize my VIN (or any other '20 tS) as being valid in their parts system.

Money talks. Put down 15% and you will get more attention than you can handle.
Old 07-16-2022, 08:00 AM   #60
H380

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited WR Blue MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020BRZtS View Post
Money talks. Put down 15% and you will get more attention than you can handle.
Not true. My dealer refused to take any amount over the $1K asking deposit. They did not want "extra money just sitting on their books for an undetermined amount of time".
H380 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to H380 For This Useful Post:
RippedManiac (07-17-2022)
Old 07-16-2022, 09:35 AM   #61
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,248 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Sounds like at least one dealer doesn't understand the time value of money.
Old 07-16-2022, 08:18 PM   #62
AK2112

Drives: 22 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Just to clarify for you, the salesperson/dealer does NOT send you the VON.

You will receive an email directly from Subaru with your VON once the order has been placed and accepted by Subaru.

I ordered mine April 26th, and received my VON on April 28th.
Not everyone gets that Subaru email. I never did. I did later ask my dealer and they provided the von.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petah78 View Post
I think the key is to get a VON (Vehicle Order Number). Unless you have that, it doesn't mean anything even if you left a deposit. I dealt with a couple dealers and my experience was:

Dealer 1. "crappy"
At the time of the leaving a deposit, i was undecided which trim i wanted. They were very relaxed about the entire thing and said i have plenty of time to decide. Just let them know when i have decided, meanwhile, i was dealing with dealer 2 which provided me with a VON so i kind of stopped following up with them. However, they never gave me a VON or followed up on the trim even after a couple months of leaving my deposit.
The fact that you didn't even know what trim you wanted is on you. How are they supposed to place an order if you don't tell them what you want?

Stand in line at McDonald's at lunch time and when it's your turn to order, tell them you don't know what you want. You're not going to get any food.
AK2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 01:37 AM   #63
2020BRZtS

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Not true. My dealer refused to take any amount over the $1K asking deposit. They did not want "extra money just sitting on their books for an undetermined amount of time".
Interesting. 2019 was very different than 2021. Maybe they are more reluctant because they don't know when any car is going to come in and when I bought mine they would have known within a couple weeks if they couldn't do it. They did ask me how serious I was about the car and that 15% cinched it. I received daily emails or texts from my sales person even if just to say "no news yet." It was the best car purchase experience I have had to date.
Old 07-17-2022, 03:39 PM   #64
H380

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited WR Blue MT
Quote:
Interesting. 2019 was very different than 2021. Maybe they are more reluctant because they don't know when any car is going to come in and when I bought mine they would have known within a couple weeks if they couldn't do it. They did ask me how serious I was about the car and that 15% cinched it. I received daily emails or texts from my sales person even if just to say "no news yet." It was the best car purchase experience I have had to date.
Ordered my car first week of Nov 2022. I tried to put $8000 down in cash. Nope. $1K down only and at the time of purchase I had the choice of getting the $1K back or then applying it toward the purchase. The sales guy told me the deposits are held in a in house escrow account. Separate from the day to day dealership things.
H380 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to H380 For This Useful Post:
2020BRZtS (07-17-2022)
Old 07-17-2022, 04:05 PM   #65
OkieSnuffBox

Quote:
When I special ordered my Track Pack Mustang GT in 2012, a $35k car in 2012 dollars, all they wanted was a $1000 check to place the order.

Things were different then. The dealer was located very conveniently for me between home and work. I called them and said, "This is what I want. Call me back with a price so good I won't bother calling any other dealers and I'll be down there in 15 minutes with a deposit check."

They did exactly that, got the car about 6 weeks later.
2020BRZtS (07-17-2022)
Old 07-17-2022, 11:18 PM   #66
2020BRZtS

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Ordered my car first week of Nov 2022. I tried to put $8000 down in cash. Nope. $1K down only and at the time of purchase I had the choice of getting the $1K back or then applying it toward the purchase. The sales guy told me the deposits are held in a in house escrow account. Separate from the day to day dealership things.
My dealership had only sold one BRZ in the prior 8 years so they are not a very popular car here. I can count on one hand how many I have seen in the wild and before mine I only ever saw one and it was after I placed my order. My salesperson had just started from another dealership in another state where they are more popular.
Old 07-19-2022, 12:31 PM   #67
dawsonj87

Drives: 2023 GR86 Base MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK2112 View Post
Not everyone gets that Subaru email. I never did. I did later ask my dealer and they provided the von.

The fact that you didn't even know what trim you wanted is on you. How are they supposed to place an order if you don't tell them what you want?

Stand in line at McDonald's at lunch time and when it's your turn to order, tell them you don't know what you want. You're not going to get any food.

This. I am confident that my dealer properly ordered my car on 4/26, and all I have at this point is a SO#. My dealer explained that I shouldn’t expect an email from SoA, as they do not get a VON until the vehicle is produced and allocated to their dealership. At that point, I would be able to request a VON from my dealer which they could provide me.

It seems like this process experience is completely dependent on the dealership, as they are private businesses with their own ways of doing things. It is easy to become stressed out over not having exactly the same experience as others based upon what is read on a forum, but I’ll choose to trust the sales manager I’m in close contact with about the state of my order. The car will come eventually!
dawsonj87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 01:12 PM   #68
OkieSnuffBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawsonj87 View Post
This. I am confident that my dealer properly ordered my car on 4/26, and all I have at this point is a SO#. My dealer explained that I shouldn’t expect an email from SoA, as they do not get a VON until the vehicle is produced and allocated to their dealership. At that point, I would be able to request a VON from my dealer which they could provide me.

It seems like this process experience is completely dependent on the dealership, as they are private businesses with their own ways of doing things. It is easy to become stressed out over not having exactly the same experience as others based upon what is read on a forum, but I’ll choose to trust the sales manager I’m in close contact with about the state of my order. The car will come eventually!
This is so bizarre and seemingly inefficient to me.

I get that they are all independent businesses, but SOA could still say, "If you are going to get a license to sell our cars, this is the process we are going to use." It makes way more sense to have all the dealers in the same country follow the same process.

For example, every State Farm agent is an independent contractor. But they still have to follow the same SOP to sell State Farm products.
Old 07-19-2022, 08:06 PM   #69
dizzy1127

Drives: Civic Si
I ordered my brz mid april and just got my vin.
dizzy1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dizzy1127 For This Useful Post:
DNAcomposition (07-19-2022), OkieSnuffBox (07-20-2022)
Old 07-20-2022, 11:06 AM   #70
dawsonj87

Drives: 2023 GR86 Base MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
This is so bizarre and seemingly inefficient to me.

I get that they are all independent businesses, but SOA could still say, "If you are going to get a license to sell our cars, this is the process we are going to use." It makes way more sense to have all the dealers in the same country follow the same process.

For example, every State Farm agent is an independent contractor. But they still have to follow the same SOP to sell State Farm products.

Yeah, I agree, it would make more sense if there was a set procedure that all dealers followed to standardize customer experience. I wouldn’t be surprised if there is one.

Speaking from experience as an engineer in the manufacturing industry, however: nobody follows the SOP you spent weeks writing. The differences in experiences don’t surprise me at all.
dawsonj87 is offline   Reply With Quote