follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2021, 11:52 AM   #85
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Dadhawk, your blurb on opinions is a lot more eloquent than mine, which I picked up from an airforce captain I used to chum with. Something along the line of opinions are like a-holes, everybody has one, and they all stink.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
The Following User Says Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (05-19-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 12:02 PM   #86
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,132 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Yea, I'm pretty much the same. If you want to have a debate with me, I'm happy to do that, but it's an individual decision, as are most things.

As I tell folks, just don't ask me for my opinion if you don't really want it, because it's the one thing I'm a true expert on and I will give it to you. Whether you agree or not is up to you, because you have the right to be wrong.

This x100. I imagine the original purpose of the vaxi-nation thread was to talk about info, studies, trials, experiences, etc. Got a little skewed but I assume we are old grown ups here.
I see very little purpose for this thread because it can easily be summed up to "Non ya business" on why a person hasn't gotten their vaccine. Why ask for someone's reason when they really don't have to give it to you. Then getting upset, trying to lecture, or tell why they are wrong, creates a toxic environment.

I have ZERO, absolutely ZERO issues with anyone here, I love the purpose of the forum, the off topic lunge, everything, but out of all the threads to should probably be shut down, this one should be shut down the most. I'm a firm believer that perception is reality, no matter on what side of the vax spectrum you are. I can respect someone's decision on getting or not getting the vax, is their choice, I can't make it for them. It may be frustrating for some but is the reality of it.
Dadhawk (05-19-2021), Jdmjunkie (05-19-2021), Spuds (05-19-2021), Ultramaroon (05-19-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 12:25 PM   #87
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post

Maybe you don't find all the deaths and hospitalizations alarming but most people I know will gladly roll up their sleeve if it can help.
Maybe you should stop making incorrect and insulting assumptions about other people. Go back and read my initial post in this thread...

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...7&postcount=24

Pay close attention to what I said in items #2 and #3, as well as the paragraph immediately following item #5. Let me know if you have any difficulty understanding the prose I used.

Again, for the third (and continually and evidently futile) time, your assertion that those who don't agree with you also, therefore, don't care about others, deaths, suffering, etc, is just incredibly and disgustingly closeminded, arrogant, condescending, and insulting. Debate your points, cite statistics, give rationale for your opinions... fine. No problems with that. Insult and mischaracterize those who can do the same thing to explain THEIR viewpoints that differ from yours? Yes, that's a VERY big problem.

My wife and I were on vacation on a small island in Mexico about four years ago, having a wonderful time on a beach. A friendly person overhead us talking long enough to hear we weren't European or Mexican, and he asked us where we were from. We mentioned that we lived in upstate NY, US, and he replied that he was from Ontario. He then, immediately, launched into a diatribe about how awful our newly elected president was, how much better Canada was, and how sorry he was for us. I politely mentioned a couple positive takes on our nation and our newly elected president, and he proceeded for the next hour to follow us up and down the beach... LITERALLY... haranguing me for my opinions. I tried to have a discussion, but couldn't.. he just wouldn't stop or listen. Then, I said, "Look, we're on vacation, and I don't enjoy political discussions even when I'm not. Please leave us alone, and enjoy your day." He still didn't. We had to leave the beach to get away from him.

He was the worst example, but we had similar experiences throughout that week... and all from Canadians. DO NOT MISUNDERSTAND ME. I lived four miles from the Canadian border for many years. I love Canada. I've been camping and fishing in midwest Quebec since the early 1970s, far north of Maniwaki. I've spent many, MANY wonderful weekends in Kingston, Ottawa, Montreal. Spent our honeymoon on PEI, and have been there many times. Gaspe peninsula, Cabot Trail, Nova Scotia... just amazing places. Getting to the wilds of British Columbia, and Vancouver are on my bucket list. Like every other place on earth, most of the people are wonderful and there's a few idiots. Why there was such a concentration of the obnoxious, opinionated know-it-alls on the Mexican island that week baffles me, but it was extremely unfortunate.

This thread brings back those awful memories.
Jdmjunkie (05-19-2021), NoHaveMSG (05-19-2021), Spuds (05-19-2021), TommyW (05-19-2021), Wally86 (05-19-2021), weederr33 (05-19-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 12:30 PM   #88
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,254 Times in 7,347 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post

My wife and I were on vacation on a small island in Mexico about four years ago, having a wonderful time on a beach. A friendly person overhead us talking long enough to hear we weren't European or Mexican, and he asked us where we were from. We mentioned that we lived in upstate NY, US, and he replied that he was from Ontario. He then, immediately, launched into a diatribe about how awful our newly elected president was, how much better Canada was, and how sorry he was for us. I politely mentioned a couple positive takes on our nation and our newly elected president, and he proceeded for the next hour to follow us up and down the beach... LITERALLY... haranguing me for my opinions. I tried to have a discussion, but couldn't.. he just wouldn't stop or listen. Then, I said, "Look, we're on vacation, and I don't enjoy political discussions even when I'm not. Please leave us alone, and enjoy your day." He still didn't. We had to leave the beach to get away from him.
I had the same thing happen to me in Cancun 5 years ago lol. Except it happened at the pool at our resort while I was at the poolside bar
Jdmjunkie (05-19-2021), MuseChaser (05-19-2021), Spuds (05-19-2021), Wally86 (05-19-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 12:32 PM   #89
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I had the same thing happen to me in Cancun 5 years ago lol. Except it happened at the pool at our resort while I was at the poolside bar
I'm sorry to hear that.. but I guess it's nice to know I wasn't alone in the experience. Heck, could have been the same Canadian dude... we were on Isla Mujeres, just off the coast of where you were! Misery loves company, they say!
Jdmjunkie (05-19-2021), NoHaveMSG (05-19-2021), Wally86 (05-19-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 02:00 PM   #90
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Our GM here at work is not getting the vax. He helps coach his sons baseball team, the main coach's GF works at a respiratory clinic here in Salem. She said very few of them, including doctors, got the vaccine and are not going to. So what does that mean then? I am not smarter or more qualified then his source to suggest what he should do.
I've spent a ton of time in hospitals and doctors offices the past month. I have a 2 month old who was diagnosed with congenital cataracts (bilateral) and went into surgery a few weeks ago. The week before surgery he got sick and was having difficulties breathing. His pediatrician sent us to the ER. That same week I had a vasectomy. Then a few days later my 3 year old put some air soft pellets in his ears and his pediatrician sent us to the ER. What I found interesting with all this time in the ER and at doctor's offices is how little talk there was about COVID. When my son was in the ER for respiratory issues they never once suggested it was COVID (and yes he had a fever). No COVID tests or anything. My brother in law is a doctor who is a big provaxer who did reluctantly take the Moderna vax but no one else in his family has taken it. My next door neighbor is also a nurse who hasn't taken it and doesn't plan on it. She said most of the nurses at her hospital haven't and don't plan on it.

The survival rate of the flu is about the same as COVID. Why don't we get guilted and pressured about the flu shot? "you may survive the flu but don't you care about everyone else". Why aren't there threads on freaking car forums titled "Why didn't you take your flu shot yet?". Why are people still so terrified with all we know about it now? Why are there people wearing masks in the car as they text while driving while also tailgating?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Jdmjunkie (05-19-2021), TommyW (05-19-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 02:10 PM   #91
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,400 Times in 6,129 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
The survival rate of the flu is about the same as COVID. Why don't we get guilted and pressured about the flu shot? "you may survive the flu but don't you care about everyone else". Why aren't there threads on freaking car forums titled "Why didn't you take your flu shot yet?". Why are people still so terrified with all we know about it now? Why are there people wearing masks in the car as they text while driving while also tailgating?
Posted in the other thread...
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
Capt Spaulding (05-19-2021), EAGLE5 (05-19-2021), spcmafia (05-19-2021), spike021 (05-19-2021), Ultramaroon (05-19-2021), wbradley (05-19-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 02:15 PM   #92
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Why do people fail to acknowledge a massive spike in hospitalization, mortality and longterm illness resulting from Covid19? Rather, they choose to castigate me for urging everyone to get vaccinated. I'm trying to HELP alleviate the problem, not perpetuate it. And why does the flu need to come into this? Has it caused any uptick in mortality recently?
Almost as if I am telling people to jump off a cliff.

I'm not trying to insult people. But on the other hand I have limited tolerance for those who seem oblivious.

Nobody is forcing anybody, it is a personal choice. I am pro vax and have all the intellectual material available to back it up.

You?

Hey, why don't you add some projection in there while you're at it. After all, I am a Canadian too, right?
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
Capt Spaulding (05-19-2021), Ultramaroon (05-19-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 02:18 PM   #93
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
The survival rate of the flu is about the same as COVID.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
@Spuds beat me to the punch. @ermax your idea of about the same and mine are a good bit different.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Old 05-19-2021, 03:06 PM   #94
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,802 Times in 3,297 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
i wonder if we can force irace to eat meat that way...
If that worked then I would be a sheep according to @FR-S2GT86, but sheep don't eat meat, soooo....? This is the Sheep Paradox.

Capt Spaulding (05-19-2021), spike021 (05-19-2021), Spuds (05-19-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 03:13 PM   #95
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,569 Times in 2,921 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
If that worked then I would be a sheep according to @FR-S2GT86, but sheep don't eat meat, soooo....? This is the Sheep Paradox.

If irace2.0 became a meat eater:

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
Old 05-19-2021, 03:50 PM   #96
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
As others have pointed out, this is inaccurate. It isn't even close. The seasonal flu kills mostly 80+ year olds, and the number of confirmed deaths is typically 15k/year with an estimate of true deaths around 35k/year, and that number is with no lockdowns and no masks, which means COVID deaths would be even higher. With that said, while we don't have a very high vaccination rate for the flu, most of the elderly get the flu shot, so the true death toll might be even higher. But here is the thing, the true death toll from COVID if we hadn't worn masks or done lockdowns or vaccinated people would have also been far higher, so we only have the current data to go off.

If we could eliminate all cancer or all heart disease with masks and social distancing, let's be honest, people wouldn't do it. We have had over 600k deaths from COVID, and this is a temporary problem and people are freaking out, so if masks meant the difference between no childhood cancer or your dad dying at 52 of a LAD, or anything else that pulls on your heart strings, but it meant wearing a mask and social distancing forever, people wouldn't do it, so why wear masks and social distance for COVID? Because 600k deaths is just a small amount of deaths relative to what COVID was capable of doing, and it is ludicrous to sacrifice so many lives for a year or two of inconvenience. I would wear masks indefinitely in social situations if it meant no cancer--just saying.

Here is all cause mortality, which I have posted ad nauseam, but it is worth a revisit I guess. As you can see, the 2018 flu season was bad, which is why you see it cross the standard deviation line, but for most winters, there is an extra 5k deaths per week at the peak compared to the low of the summer. For 2018, at the peak of the bad flu season, there was an extra 8k deaths beyond the typical rise in deaths. It is also worth noting that the flu season is a distinct season that comes and goes, but that is not the case for COVID

For COVID, there was an extra 27k deaths beyond what is normal during the peak of the last spike. Given a normal year, we would have had around 59,378, but instead we had 86,925--a difference of 27,547 excess deaths that week. That is a 46% increase in deaths. Said another way, 32% of all deaths from all causes came from COVID. If we were to compress the excess deaths into one giant bell curve then the excess deaths would equate to an extra 80k+ deaths during the peak week. Anyways, the chart speaks from itself, but I'm just trying to give some relative context.
Attached Images

Capt Spaulding (05-19-2021), Dadhawk (05-19-2021), wbradley (05-19-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 03:56 PM   #97
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
If irace2.0 became a meat eater:
Mad Sheep disease. Don't feed sheep to sheep, and I won't come biting.

Old 05-19-2021, 05:48 PM   #98
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
Maybe you should stop making incorrect and insulting assumptions about other people. Go back and read my initial post in this thread...

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...7&postcount=24

Pay close attention to what I said in items #2 and #3, as well as the paragraph immediately following item #5. Let me know if you have any difficulty understanding the prose I used.

Again, for the third (and continually and evidently futile) time, your assertion that those who don't agree with you also, therefore, don't care about others, deaths, suffering, etc, is just incredibly and disgustingly closeminded, arrogant, condescending, and insulting. Debate your points, cite statistics, give rationale for your opinions... fine. No problems with that. Insult and mischaracterize those who can do the same thing to explain THEIR viewpoints that differ from yours? Yes, that's a VERY big problem.

He was the worst example, but we had similar experiences throughout that week... and all from Canadians. DO NOT MISUNDERSTAND ME. I lived four miles from the Canadian border for many years. I love Canada. I've been camping and fishing in midwest Quebec since the early 1970s, far north of Maniwaki. I've spent many, MANY wonderful weekends in Kingston, Ottawa, Montreal. Spent our honeymoon on PEI, and have been there many times. Gaspe peninsula, Cabot Trail, Nova Scotia... just amazing places. Getting to the wilds of British Columbia, and Vancouver are on my bucket list. Like every other place on earth, most of the people are wonderful and there's a few idiots. Why there was such a concentration of the obnoxious, opinionated know-it-alls on the Mexican island that week baffles me, but it was extremely unfortunate.

This thread brings back those awful memories.
I read the post you linked to in your message. One thing that strikes me is your level of confidence that you can easily avoid covid infection and resulting transmission. I read your regimen and it seems very similar to what the CDC recommended. Indeed, very similar to mine. That is commendable. That said, many people I know have been convinced they were doing the same things. A couple of them are dead now.

The conclusion you draw from that point (#2) is that the probability of your passing the infection along is exceedingly low.

Perhaps our perspectives, or the realities in which we live, are incompatible. You believe you can easily avoid infection and acting as a disease vector. From my observations of the world I live in, the virus is quite easy to contract and spread, despite taking precautions. The virus is, as is life in general, a study in applied probability. Fortune plays a crucial role. And generalizing from your personal experience or from mine is simply fallacious.

As you noted people can contract Covid 19 and become less ill than someone who receives the vaccine. And as we all know, many people have contracted the disease and been completely asymptomatic. The difference between the person who contracted the virus with few to no symptoms and your vaccine experience is that person could have died from the disease or could have infected others who similarly could have died. As has been amply documented, the virus is orders of magnitude more deadly than the flu.

Despite your unfortunate side effects, the probability of your becoming acutely ill from the vaccine is virtually non-existent and the probability of your passing it along as a result is effectively zero.

I am glad you got vaccinated, even if you did so under duress. Vaxed is vaxed is, for now, removed from the pool of potential vectors. That you would have ventured unvaccinated into the company of others of unknown vaccination status, donning a mask only if requested disappoints me. If it seems like I am judging you, I guess I am. My apologies - to an extent. I am sure you are convinced that you do care about others. However, there are times and situations where our actions say more about our character than words can convey. For me, this is one of those times.
Ultramaroon (05-19-2021)
Closed Thread