follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 09-16-2014, 06:08 PM   #141
alex345
FRS610

Drives: Scion- Frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Send a message via MSN to alex345
Hey guys just joined the community and bought my Phantom ESC from @alexand3r great guy and very helpfull.

If i could be added to the list
alex345 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alex345 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (09-16-2014)
Old 09-16-2014, 06:09 PM   #142
alex345
FRS610

Garage
If anyone could answer this : does the esc has a 0-5v out for ecutek?
Old 09-16-2014, 06:14 PM   #143
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khyron686 View Post
For the tune via OFT, we have to use the specific ESC beta maps (2.01 as of now). I don't see any ESC files in the 2.061 release from Sept 6.

Just confirming. Also confused why we needed to send Vish our stock file the first time, but now we can just use the ESC files right off the site?
You don't need to send your stock file to me (Shiv ) if you see your CAL ID supported in the ESC map download folder. It's only if you have a currently unsupported ROM do you need to send me your original ROM to define and modify for ESC usage.

Quote:
Auto-X last week on stock prius tires, beat a GTR on raw time, just sayin. Fun kit!
I concur!!
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shiv@Openflash For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (09-16-2014), Khyron686 (09-17-2014)
Old 09-16-2014, 06:20 PM   #144
j_Zer0

Drives: Asphalt FRS 2014
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa View Post
hey guys im interested in the kit, but i cant seem to get hold of rob to order it can anybody help ?
I'm having the same issue. PM'd Rob twice two weeks apart. No response
Old 09-16-2014, 06:28 PM   #145
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_Zer0 View Post
I'm having the same issue. PM'd Rob twice two weeks apart. No response
@j_Zer0 and @Tampa

It's been noted before, but Rob gets so much PM and email traffic he can't reply to all of them. However note that if you PM'd he will add you to the wait list. Note that it's pretty deep at the moment. If you have a general question, most of the owner's can help answer or shoot a mention @fenton who is @Robftss right hand man here in the forums.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:35 PM   #146
alex345
FRS610

Garage
someone help?
Old 09-16-2014, 06:45 PM   #147
JoonPrime

Drives: 2015 Limited series all white brz
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
@j_Zer0 and @Tampa

It's been noted before, but Rob gets so much PM and email traffic he can't reply to all of them. However note that if you PM'd he will add you to the wait list. Note that it's pretty deep at the moment. If you have a general question, most of the owner's can help answer or shoot a mention @fenton who is @Robftss right hand man here in the forums.
is a rob a "small" time vendor? just curious, his esc seems to be quite a hit but all i ever hear of is just the one man. singular. must be a pretty busy guy :P
JoonPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:04 PM   #148
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonPrime View Post
is a rob a "small" time vendor? just curious, his esc seems to be quite a hit but all i ever hear of is just the one man. singular. must be a pretty busy guy :P
In the world of auto parts most vendors who produce custom new/cutting-edge technology are "small" in comparison to vendors mass producing F.I. parts like Vortech. As I understand it, Phantom is a business venture for him, but certainly not his total day job. Yes he's a heck of a busy guy, amazing for owner's he manages to make time for all of us for technical support, fulfillment, and future R&D. The Phantom ESC kit itself is mfg'd partially by hand to ensure fit, tolerance and performance are as to Rob's specfications which can only be fully achieved by hand at this time. He manages this at his machine shop which I understand has been in business for quite a long time.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:09 PM   #149
Gums

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Question

Posted this in the main thread some days ago, maybe should have posted it here?

Genesis Battery Test?
Was showing my battery guy the ESC installation the other day. He was impressed (of course) and now wants a kit for his wife's Veloster.

His comment "The design guys did a great job to get the matching of the brushless motor and drive control/charger to operate so efficiently from the garden variety sealed lead acid battery capabilities. Brilliant marketing"

I remember someone was planning to test the genesis batteries (ages ago) and was wondering how they performed?

Tried search thread with no luck other than @fenton and @DC2R playing with other road users
Gums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 02:53 PM   #150
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gums View Post
Posted this in the main thread some days ago, maybe should have posted it here?

Genesis Battery Test?
Was showing my battery guy the ESC installation the other day. He was impressed (of course) and now wants a kit for his wife's Veloster.

His comment "The design guys did a great job to get the matching of the brushless motor and drive control/charger to operate so efficiently from the garden variety sealed lead acid battery capabilities. Brilliant marketing"

I remember someone was planning to test the genesis batteries (ages ago) and was wondering how they performed?

Tried search thread with no luck other than @fenton and @DC2R playing with other road users
Pretty sure @Bu-Tang was running Odyssey battieries. The verdict was that they did work slightly better(didnt take as long to warm up) but the cost generally would outweigh the potential perforamnce....i think they were 3 times more money or something
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fenton For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (09-21-2014), Gums (09-21-2014)
Old 09-21-2014, 08:46 PM   #151
Gums

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
Pretty sure @Bu-Tang was running Odyssey battieries. The verdict was that they did work slightly better(didnt take as long to warm up) but the cost generally would outweigh the potential perforamnce....i think they were 3 times more money or something
Thanks for the reply Fenton, Cost is approximately 4 times in Australia and they are a bit heavier.
I was wondering if it may be worth considering given the longer dump leads in the RHD kit.
Gums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:58 PM   #152
alex345
FRS610

Garage
Hello guys Ill be installing the Phantom ESC along with OFH and OFT, as soon as I get the car to service and back from the 7.5kmiles service I was wondering if the kit will work good with the crawford BPB (Billet Power Blocks) since I know it can affect performance negatively on Force induction.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:23 PM   #153
TM

Drives: DGM BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex345 View Post
Hello guys Ill be installing the Phantom ESC along with OFH and OFT, as soon as I get the car to service and back from the 7.5kmiles service I was wondering if the kit will work good with the crawford BPB (Billet Power Blocks) since I know it can affect performance negatively on Force induction.

Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv@Openflash View Post
Also, we had the opportunity to test the Crawford Billet Power Blocks on the dyno as well. Both with and without the Phantom ESC.

Here are the results with and without the BPB. Running the same map.
Run 243 is without the BPB. Run 246 is with the BPB.

While the BPB work very well with an NA set-up, they don't seem to have the same positive effect when boost is added to the equation. That's not too surprising but it's interesting nonetheless. With the BPB, you can see a small gain in the 6000-6500rpm range but a loss everywhere else. I suspect we could have custom tuned 6500-7500rpm range to pick up the lost power but that remains to be proven. Still, I'm looking forward to more testing/tuning. Anything is possible

Cheers,
Shiv
The short answer is, no. You will lose power throughout most of the RPM range.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:29 PM   #154
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv@Openflash View Post
lol.. of course it does!

Anyway, tested the BPB yesterday with both the Phantom and NA (full bolt on- OFH + Custom bat-back) set ups. With a tank full of 93oct. With the Phantom, it doesn't look like a good match. Lost power just about everywhere. It didn't look promising so I didn't bother with custom tuning with the BPBs. I will probably give it a try when more time permits though. But these results make sense as more airflow would suggest shortening the runners are the way to go.

So then I removed the Phantom and tested just NA (with the OTS Stage 2 UEL map) and it picked up good power in the ~5000-6500rpm range. But lost about equal power above that. Same peak power (187whp). Still worthwhile to many people who would trade off top end power for a lower RPM power peak. So then I custom tuned the heck out of it to the point where it didn't loose much top end while still making the big gains between 5000-6500rpm. Peak power was the same but the area under the curve was much bigger. So definitely an improvement.

The only reason I don't want to immortalize those results now by posting them is because I made some pretty aggressive tuning changes above 6500rpm to regain the lost power. So aggressive that I want to ensure that the mapping is stable down to 91oct. If so, I would consider this a fair test. If not, we would be comparing a conservative tune (without BPB) to an aggressive tune (with BPB).

But I can say that the car drives great with the custom tune and the PBPs. Very noticeable gains without the need to rev it out all the way to 7500rpm. Just give me a couple of days to determine if the custom tune is something that is conservative enough to release to the public. For that, I need to burn off some 93oct, fill up with 91 and then put the car through the wringer.

When time permits I'll do some testing on a totally stock vehicle with just the OFT and the BPB. That will be necessary in order to release Stage 1 to Stage 2 OTS maps for the BPB.

I'll start a new thread (with complete dyno results) after the necessary road tested

Cheers,
shiv

damn, beat me to it
alex345 (09-22-2014)